It's not the coach

• 80 replies

paultzman

Re: It's not the coach
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
Needs2Go-    You do you want to be the new coach?

Agree this "ain't working", but Needs2Go needs to go.

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2014, 11:44:54 AM »

Danny Hurley would be my #1 choice by far.  He can really coach and would recruit the area well.  Plus he would be at a big enough school where maybe his father can start sending his very well coached, well skilled players to.  He would be a huge upgrade over the fraud Lavin and would probably save the University a lot of money. Now we know why Lavin had no interest in the NC State job the pressure would have been too much with how big college basketball is in that area.  In NY you can make the big bucks and let all the professional teams take the heat while you can totally fly under the radar just like this program is now.  He has gotten a complete free pass considering how big of a bust this team is and that they play right in NYC.

Face the facts nobody cares in our area.  Nobody.  There are less St John's fans at almost every single game they play at the Garden.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:47:04 AM by Needs2go »

boo3

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »

Danny Hurley would be my #1 choice by far.  He can really coach and would recruit the area well.  Plus he would be at a big enough school where maybe his father can start sending his very well coached, well skilled players to.  He would be a huge upgrade over the fraud Lavin and would probably save the University a lot of money. Now we know why Lavin had no interest in the NC State job the pressure would have been too much with how big college basketball is in that area.  In NY you can make the big bucks and let all the professional teams take the heat while you can totally fly under the radar just like this program is now.  He has gotten a complete free pass considering how big of a bust this team is and that they play right in NYC.

Face the facts nobody cares in our area.  Nobody.  There are less St John's fans at almost every single game they play at the Garden.

I like Hurley also..No sure how realistic it is.. You do realize, no matter what, Lavin will be here next season, right?   So don't get too worked up..  Norm got 6 years...and you are right,, no one cares, which makes a change after this season even less likely.

I guess you can hold out hope that things get so bad that Lavin decides to quit/retire, but I know I wouldn't give up my potential last big paycheck..

Ranting and raving is fine, but being realistic about the situation,  doesn't matter how loud one cries and screams.

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »
 We've had 15 years of crappy basketball, except 1, Hardy's team. Fans in NY will not support a loser and there's too much other stuff going on in other sports to give time to a losing program. We are a losing program and the brand of basketball Lavin puts on the COURT , is just terrible.
A lot of keen basketball minds, i.e DOC Butler saw this early last season but, was degraded for his astute analysis on redmen.com.

If our fans went to the UCLA site when Lavin was Coach there, you would see  many of the same comments we are posting today. He can't Coach worth a damn!

Sure, you can say UCLA fans were unhappy with his results because, unlike here, he did get top 10 talent and still could not win! 

There was a reason why Lavin wasn't Coaching for 8 years at ESPN. Few Schools wanted him, except us. We would have done better going back to Fran..

The insiders in College BB knew and still know Lavin can't Coach.. And they are just beginning to put the spotlight on him and our season. The focus will turn up the heat

This year's failure has to be on Steve.. There are no excuses.

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 12:06:25 PM »
boo,

Norm got 6 years but was in a 3 year hole when he took over the program.  Lavin took over the program in great shape with a team that was on the brink of being good and they were mostly good level headed kids (a bunch local).  Lavin gets way too much credit for what he did with that team as the year before they were real competitive and had a hard nosed bunch.  Dwight Hardy was MUCH better than any guard we have now then you mix in Burrell, Kennedy, Brownlee, Horne, Boothe and that is a nice team.   They would beat the snot out of this current team when they were both at this level. 

Lavin got everything he wanted and has done a terrible job. 

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2014, 12:09:26 PM »
sly,

I was posting my last reply on Hardy and didn't even see your post.  That was a fun team to watch and were hard nosed.  This brand of basketball Lavin puts out on the court is horrible at best.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:15:22 PM by Needs2go »

Poison

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »
Mahoney won 11 games in 1995-1996. He added 2 terrible big men, and one raw, but talented PF. STJ fired him after the season. That was year 4.

Here's my rationale:

Mahoney in 4 years:

Year 1: BE 12-6. Quarterfinals of BE tourney. NCAA second round.
Year 2: No Post Season
Year 3: NIT first round
Year 4: No post season. (Fired after the season)

Lavin in 4 years:

Year 1: BE 12-6, Quarterfinals of BE tourney. NCAA first round.
Year 2: BE 5-13, No Post Season. Amazing that we thought this would have been a great year if Lavin wasn't sick.
Year 3: BE 7-9, NIT 2nd round.
Year 4: BE 0-5

Hmm. I think he should be done here. A poor season should be a first round exit in March. Not dead last in the BE with "6 NBA players". A weaker BE at that.

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »
The saddest part about this year for Lavin is the team has been 100% healthy all season long or we would be hearing that as an excuse for sure.  There really aren't many excuses left for ol Stevie to use without making himself look bad.

Also this team has zero NBA players so stop with saying we have NBA talent because we don't.  We recruited good athletes out of high school who aren't very good basketball players.

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 02:57:42 PM »
Way to open up the thread by talking all defensive lapses.

Anyone who has a basic clue of fundamental basketball can tell that Lavin can't coach worth a lick.

Their offense is the problem. They have zero halfcourt offense. I guess Lavin didn't learn that after all those years around Wooden and Keady.

They have no sets on offense, no plan whatsoever. It's literally give one guy the ball and 4 other guys stand still around the key. No movement, no give and go's, no ball screens.

Harrison has regressed, he really looks horrible this year. The only reason his stats look decent is because the team has zero options on offense.

Couple points on this. First I agree that he is beyond horrible at coaching. But you say we never set ball screens when in reality we set ball screens on every possession. The thing is our two guards who lavin loves, Dlo and Phil, are terrible using a screen and our big men our terrible rollers. Why do we continue to send usless ball screens to our guards? The big men should either post up or screen away. Get some action around the basket instead of bringing an extra defender that our guards cant get around.

Secondly I disagree that Harrison has regressed, I think he has improved in every area since he has been here.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:58:11 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
boo,

Norm got 6 years but was in a 3 year hole when he took over the program.  Lavin took over the program in great shape with a team that was on the brink of being good and they were mostly good level headed kids (a bunch local).  Lavin gets way too much credit for what he did with that team as the year before they were real competitive and had a hard nosed bunch.  Dwight Hardy was MUCH better than any guard we have now then you mix in Burrell, Kennedy, Brownlee, Horne, Boothe and that is a nice team.   They would beat the snot out of this current team when they were both at this level. 

Lavin got everything he wanted and has done a terrible job. 
so you think having to recruit an entire team is considered a program in "great shape?" Complain all you want about Lavin's coaching abilities, but you have no credibility with that comment. Get real.

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2014, 12:39:13 AM »

Anyone who has a basic clue of fundamental basketball can tell that Lavin can't coach worth a lick.

Their offense is the problem. They have zero halfcourt offense. I guess Lavin didn't learn that after all those years around Wooden and Keady.

They have no sets on offense, no plan whatsoever. It's literally give one guy the ball and 4 other guys stand still around the key. No movement, no give and go's, no ball screens.

Harrison has regressed, he really looks horrible this year. The only reason his stats look decent is because the team has zero options on offense.

Couple points on this. First I agree that he is beyond horrible at coaching. But you say we never set ball screens when in reality we set ball screens on every possession. The thing is our two guards who lavin loves, Dlo and Phil, are terrible using a screen and our big men our terrible rollers. Why do we continue to send usless ball screens to our guards? The big men should either post up or screen away. Get some action around the basket instead of bringing an extra defender that our guards cant get around.

Secondly I disagree that Harrison has regressed, I think he has improved in every area since he has been here.
I agree that our guards don't use screens well and our screeners don't roll well but this is COACHING! This must be taught you run it in practice 1,000 times until they get it right. Do you think it is coincidence that our guys lack this skill? You aren't born a great ball screener.

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2014, 01:46:03 AM »

I agree that our guards don't use screens well and our screeners don't roll well but this is COACHING! This must be taught you run it in practice 1,000 times until they get it right. Do you think it is coincidence that our guys lack this skill? You aren't born a great ball screener.

I didnt say it wasnt coaching. Just said that we do use ball screens. Useless ones.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2014, 02:16:40 AM »
The saddest part about this year for Lavin is the team has been 100% healthy all season long or we would be hearing that as an excuse for sure.  There really aren't many excuses left for ol Stevie to use without making himself look bad.

Also this team has zero NBA players so stop with saying we have NBA talent because we don't.  We recruited good athletes out of high school who aren't very good basketball players.

There is definitely nba talent on this team. They lose because they don't play as a team.

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2014, 02:19:37 AM »

I didnt say it wasnt coaching. Just said that we do use ball screens. Useless ones.
I was agreeing with you. Not taking you to task, taking the staff to task.

goredmen

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2014, 03:39:01 AM »

There is definitely nba talent on this team. They lose because they don't play as a team.

As of right now I don't think anybody other than Jordan is anything more than a 12 man in the NBA if they are lucky. Sampson still has time to raise his value but his lack of toughness and range is very concerning. Obekpa is a very poor man's hasheem thabeet and he has been bouncing around the NBA and D- league.

pmg911

« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2014, 09:04:38 AM »

Who's is NBA talent…     Harrison has no shot, he is too slow and too small. Sampson & Obekpa have regressed this year.  Joran maybe but maybe after two more years.

SJUFAN

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2014, 11:03:14 AM »

Could you elaborate on the players' and their skill set that you believe make them NBA talent opposed to making such a blanket statement that has no basis in reality.

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »
Well let me see NBA talent Hooper in administration!

Foad

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2014, 02:35:35 PM »
Who's is NBA talent…     Harrison has no shot, he is too slow and too small. Sampson & Obekpa have regressed this year.  Joran maybe but maybe after two more years.

If NBA talent means NBA ready, no one. If NBA talent means the skill and physical ability to play in the NBA at the end of their college careers - ie the same sort of NBA talent that we all noticed Cedric Jackson display when he was at SJU, then Jordan, Sampson, Obekpa, Pointer, Harrison. Yes, each has shortcomings in his game. Harrison is small. Pointer is dumber. Obekpa is inexperienced. I admit I'm disappointed in Sampson: I expected him to be as good as Malik Sealy, whereas he's only as good as James Scott. 

Boon companion Poison's larger point - that this team has more than enough talent to compete in the depleted Big East - is undeniably true to anyone but the dumb or the willfully blind. Sad sack Norm Roberts would get as much out of these players. Lavin is 12-18 since last February. He's a clown. I'm starting to think he's trying to get fired.

SJUFAN

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2014, 03:12:15 PM »
Boon companion Poison's larger point - that this team has more than enough talent to compete in the depleted Big East 

I agree. Which is why I will reserve judgment until the end of the season. They could finish 10-8, or 4-12. Let's see what Lavin does with the group first.