Exclusive Interview With Norm Roberts - Rivals

• 19 replies

kjd01067

Exclusive Interview With Norm Roberts - Rivals
« on: May 16, 2008, 08:02:49 AM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=808338

"People need to understand that kids all over the country aren't staying home," Roberts said. "Look at UConn's roster. They've got only one kid from Connecticut. Look at UCLA's roster. They've only got three kids from LA. It's happening all over the place because kids are exposed to much more than twenty years ago. Look at the other schools. Look at their rosters too."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:04:16 AM by kjd01067 »

Re: Exclusive Interview With Norm Roberts - Rivals
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:03:14 AM »
When your a national powerhouse, you can recruit the best talent all across america. When your SJU, your only advantage is to corner at least a piece in ONE city, not the entire state of NY. norm can't even do that. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:18:29 AM by NYCbuckeye »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:08:44 AM »
No Rivals account.  Can someone summarize (or send as PM)?

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:34:35 AM »
"Because of events like Coaches vs. Cancer and PSAL Championship everybody gets a chance to play in (MSG)," Roberts said. "Back in (Lou) Carnesseca's day, only the Knicks, Rangers and St. John's got to play in there. People tend to forget that it's different now."

That was the only other quote in the whole "interview" although this is 1 of 3 part series.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:35:02 AM »
yay for more excuses.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 12:24:14 PM »
He's right.  Everyone gets a piece of the Garden now a days.  Moreover, top teams recruit all over the country. 

That being said, isn't it time we got a stud or two?  From NYC, from the tri-state area, from CA, I don't really care.  Get a big guy in here, enough "rebuilding".

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 01:01:10 PM »
He's right.  Everyone gets a piece of the Garden now a days.  Moreover, top teams recruit all over the country. 

That being said, isn't it time we got a stud or two?  From NYC, from the tri-state area, from CA, I don't really care.  Get a big guy in here, enough "rebuilding".

The STUDS don't want to play for Coach Roberts..     he has shown abosultely nothing to suggest he can help them get to the next level...

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 09:00:09 AM »
Couldn't agree more.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »
Norm has brought some good players in but they just don't stay for whatever reason. Imagine the STJ team with a healthy Mase, Larry and Q who will be playing somewhere else next year. Most people were high on Rob Thomas before the injury. The kid he recruited out of Florida was supposed to be a player (playing somewhere else also). I am not as down on Norm's recruiting as everyone else is. Bottom line is some of the kids he recruited are not here and you go with what you got. Norm needs to develop what we have because that is the key to this upcoming season.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »
Norm has brought some good players in but they just don't stay for whatever reason. Imagine the STJ team with a healthy Mase, Larry and Q who will be playing somewhere else next year. Most people were high on Rob Thomas before the injury. The kid he recruited out of Florida was supposed to be a player (playing somewhere else also). I am not as down on Norm's recruiting as everyone else is. Bottom line is some of the kids he recruited are not here and you go with what you got. Norm needs to develop what we have because that is the key to this upcoming season.

Norm might have gotten a few good players to sign but he hasn't kept the,. . so that point is moot...  you shouldn't have to imagine a team with Wright & Calhoun...  they were here and should be part of the team...

Derwin Kitchen (the kid from Florida) was a HUGE gamble..  and Norm knew it..   it backfired...

What would make anyone think these players will be developed when he has failed to develop any of the players he has already had..

Next year will be UGLY because the only remotely decent scorer the team will have is Mason Jr and he will shoot more then he did last year...   and he is just not a #1 one option for a Big East team..   he is a complimentary player on a good tam. . not a star...

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »

Norm might have gotten a few good players to sign but he hasn't kept the,. . so that point is moot...  you shouldn't have to imagine a team with Wright & Calhoun...  they were here and should be part of the team...

Derwin Kitchen (the kid from Florida) was a HUGE gamble..  and Norm knew it..   it backfired...

What would make anyone think these players will be developed when he has failed to develop any of the players he has already had..

Next year will be UGLY because the only remotely decent scorer the team will have is Mason Jr and he will shoot more then he did last year...   and he is just not a #1 one option for a Big East team..   he is a complimentary player on a good tam. . not a star...

Coaches take gambles on players all the time and sometimes you win some and you lose some (Gary Williams Maryland). That's part of the college game today. I am not down on Norm's recruiting I believe he has brought in good enough talent to win. As for his coaching and subsitution patterns I can identify issues but lets be real this is Norm first coaching job as far as I am concerned and let just hope that he learns from his mistakes. Norms is learning on the job and it has cost us some games.....bottom line Norm has to put it all together this year meaning coaching and subing better but more importantly developing his players. Again, I am not down on his recruiting but there are other areas he must improve.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 11:39:55 PM »

Derwin Kitchen (the kid from Florida) was a HUGE gamble..  and Norm knew it..   it backfired...

Next year will be UGLY because the only remotely decent scorer the team will have is Mason Jr and he will shoot more then he did last year...   and he is just not a #1 one option for a Big East team..   he is a complimentary player on a good tam. . not a star...

I don't think 3 point shooting has ever been a strength at SJU. If they can run and play defense for 40 minutes, they are likely to not need more than a few threes per game, and let's face it, other than West Virginia Larry Wright was guarded, and contained all year long.

I don't see Wright as anywhere near as big of a loss as people are making it out to be. It's more about losing yet another pretty good player. A quincy roberts, at 6'5 can probably put up similar numbers chucking like Larry did.

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 09:06:03 AM »

Derwin Kitchen (the kid from Florida) was a HUGE gamble..  and Norm knew it..   it backfired...

Next year will be UGLY because the only remotely decent scorer the team will have is Mason Jr and he will shoot more then he did last year...   and he is just not a #1 one option for a Big East team..   he is a complimentary player on a good tam. . not a star...

Coaches take gambles on players all the time and sometimes you win some and you lose some (Gary Williams Maryland). That's part of the college game today. I am not down on Norm's recruiting I believe he has brought in good enough talent to win. As for his coaching and subsitution patterns I can identify issues but lets be real this is Norm first coaching job as far as I am concerned and let just hope that he learns from his mistakes. Norms is learning on the job and it has cost us some games.....bottom line Norm has to put it all together this year meaning coaching and subing better but more importantly developing his players. Again, I am not down on his recruiting but there are other areas he must improve.

How can you not be down on his recruiting... ?   

He has failed to land EVERY primary recruiting target since he has been coach....

You might say he was learning on the job and hoped he learned from his mistakes after years one and two but what are the excuses for years three and four....   he makes the same coaching mistakes OVER and OVER...  Was he still learning on the job in year Four...  if that is what you are saying. .  its embarrassing...      did he learn anything from Bill Self..?   

The man is simply in over his head....    he is not a good game coach and his supposed strength as a recruiter has been proven to not be true...

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 11:39:51 AM »

The STUDS don't want to play for Coach Roberts..     he has shown abosultely nothing to suggest he can help them get to the next level...

We're just wasting time until Monasch and Harrington figure out that they are employing an inept coach.
It may take another year or three.

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 08:00:11 PM »

He has failed to land EVERY primary recruiting target since he has been coach....

You might say he was learning on the job and hoped he learned from his mistakes after years one and two but what are the excuses for years three and four....   he makes the same coaching mistakes OVER and OVER...  Was he still learning on the job in year Four...  if that is what you are saying. .  its embarrassing...      did he learn anything from Bill Self..?  

The man is simply in over his head....    he is not a good game coach and his supposed strength as a recruiter has been proven to not be true...

http://www.redmen.com/article357.html     - He can bring in the talent

Norm has brought in enough talent to win in the Big East. When Norm's top 5 class was announced you were not pleased? What happens after the talent gets here is another issue. But I was estactic when Rob Thomas, JBurrell, Coker and Boothe came aboard. One of my boys in PA told me that DJ was an absolute late steal for STJ and he was correct. (He is also advising that this kid Kane from PA is the real deal) Larry Wright was one of the top players from Michigan from a winning program. That core group mentioned above should be enough to beat Niagara, Tulane and Ohio. No...they are not all five star recruits but there is Big East talent there. Coach better.....make smarters substitutions.....and most importantly develop the talent you have!! This is were we are falling short as far as I am concerned. 

Poison

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »

You might say he was learning on the job and hoped he learned from his mistakes after years one and two but what are the excuses for years three and four....   he makes the same coaching mistakes OVER and OVER...  Was he still learning on the job in year Four...  if that is what you are saying. .  its embarrassing...      did he learn anything from Bill Self..?  

Norm has brought in enough talent to win in the Big East. When Norm's top 5 class was announced you were not pleased? What happens after the talent gets here is another issue. But I was estactic when Rob Thomas, JBurrell, Coker and Boothe came aboard. One of my boys in PA told me that DJ was an absolute late steal for STJ and he was correct. (He is also advising that this kid Kane from PA is the real deal) Larry Wright was one of the top players from Michigan from a winning program. That core group mentioned above should be enough to beat Niagara, Tulane and Ohio. No...they are not all five star recruits but there is Big East talent there. Coach better.....make smarters substitutions.....and most importantly develop the talent you have!! This is were we are falling short as far as I am concerned. 

Thomas didn't play against Niagara. Burrell was terrible and out of control in the Niagara game. Horne was actually our best offensive player that day. He played well throughout. Still we had no one to guard Charron Fisher.

Next year, we'll beat them handily. He was great, but he was also all they had.

Not keeping the talent has killed the program so far under the All roberts recruited sju. Calhoun and Wright are losses that could have been leaders on this team. Boothe, Wright, Mase, Burrell and Calhoun would be a far better line up than what we'll have. At least that's everyone's guess.

Will it be better than Boothe, Horne, Mase, Burrell and Coker? I'm actually not sure it would have been. Horne and Coker play hard on defense. Coker may foul plenty, but there is some defensive potential there. I thought Horne was inexperienced but tenacious on d. We need that again.

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 07:24:16 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

EVERY kid that suited up as a Freshman for that "Top 5 class" are gone..    think about that for a second..   EVERYONE GONE....

That says it all about Norm Roberts and his staff...

Like I have said MANY TIMES BEFORE. .   the man is just in over....

As a former St. John's player said to me ast year in regards to Norm Roberts...   "Some guys are meant to be an assistant coach"

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 11:07:04 AM »

As much as I respect clark francis and ron naclerio and their hoopscoop service, their way of ranking classes was pretty bogus IMO.  i just dont agree with it.  st. johns got that top 5 ranking because of the number of total recruits and not really the quality of the recruits.  when brought up with the fact that norm doesnt recruit the city well, he points out the fact that he got the top point guard in the city, malik boothe, to sign in 07.  that is true, but what norm fails to mention is that 07 was one of NYC's weakest senior classes in a long time.  08 and 09 are where the blue-chippers are at and hes failing (and failed) on both classes so far.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »

As much as I respect clark francis and ron naclerio and their hoopscoop service, their way of ranking classes was pretty bogus IMO.  i just dont agree with it.  st. johns got that top 5 ranking because of the number of total recruits and not really the quality of the recruits.  when brought up with the fact that norm doesnt recruit the city well, he points out the fact that he got the top point guard in the city, malik boothe, to sign in 07.  that is true, but what norm fails to mention is that 07 was one of NYC's weakest senior classes in a long time.  08 and 09 are where the blue-chippers are at and hes failing (and failed) on both classes so far.

All true, but that doesn't mean that Boothe won't eventually improve to that level.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 03:43:23 PM »
booth is a nice player.  he's smart and he's exciting.  take my word for it...he'll never be a shooting threat, so it'll always be four on five.

peekskill, you're wrong...even norm's "top five" class was no where near good enough to make noise in the big east.  you have developed a personal attachment with some of the players...so you're thinking with your heart.  it happens.