• 70 replies
Re: I don't know what to say guys?
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »
Smart NY folks have good BS detectors

LOL

MCNPA

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »
It is funny even at the end Norm still had his supporters. Lavin seemingly lost everyone.

I'm just relieved Marcus hasn't committed hari kari.

I kind of hope Lavin stays. If I can't watch good basketball I at least want to get to see him burst into tears in public a la Jimmy Swaggart.

PS Thanks for giving the bong a Brazilian btw. Classy.

No hari kari.  I've weathered this type of play before.  When you've never seen winning, you don't really know what you're missing.  For SJU fans this is frustrating, yet it is more of the same.  Decades of poor basketball.  I'll just move on.  I never thought I'd see a day when SJU lacrosse is better than their basketball, but that day is here.  Next coach we hired better be an X's and O's demon.  We turn down a fantastic coach like mckillop every time the SJU job opens up.  I have little hope force near future though wrt. SJU basketball. 

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »
It is funny even at the end Norm still had his supporters. Lavin seemingly lost everyone.

I'm just relieved Marcus hasn't committed hari kari.

I kind of hope Lavin stays. If I can't watch good basketball I at least want to get to see him burst into tears in public a la Jimmy Swaggart.

PS Thanks for giving the bong a Brazilian btw. Classy.

No hari kari.  I've weathered this type of play before.  When you've never seen winning, you don't really know what you're missing.  For SJU fans this is frustrating, yet it is more of the same.  Decades of poor basketball.  I'll just move on.  I never thought I'd see a day when SJU lacrosse is better than their basketball, but that day is here.  Next coach we hired better be an X's and O's demon.  We turn down a fantastic coach like mckillop every time the SJU job opens up.  I have little hope force near future though wrt. SJU basketball. 

I agree on McKillop. Eveyone besides us always hates the idea though

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2014, 02:32:25 PM »
I'll probably get demolished for suggesting this, but honestly, Bruce Pearl.

Guy can recruit, guy can coach, he had some things in his past he isn't proud of, but I think he puts all of that behind him, and would kill at SJU.

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »

Guy can recruit, guy can coach, he had some things in his past he isn't proud of, but I think he puts all of that behind him, and would kill at SJU.

He can also be the student party coordinator and buy the booze for them
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:34:12 PM by happyrappy »

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 02:39:07 PM »

Like everything people overeact when things go bad. And they extremely in the opposite direction
Jarvis was a bad guy so they hired Mr Rogers.
Mr Rogers was dull and couldn't recruit, the program lost all juice, so they hire a used car salesman who was media friendly.
Lavin proved to be all sizzle no steak.
When Laavin leaves next coach will probably be strictly X and O guy. Maybe I finally get my wish, albeit 10 years too late and htey hire McKillop 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:40:04 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 02:39:32 PM »

He can also be the student party coordinator and buy the booze for them

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23250390/which-school-with-a-vision-will-hire-bruce-pearl-next-year
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:40:18 PM by chronicbucks »

Moose

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »

Like everything people overeact when things go bad. And they extremely in the opposite direction
Mr Rogers was dull and couldn't recruit, the program lost all juice, so they hire a used car salesman who was media friendly.
When Laavin leaves next coach will probably be strictly X and O guy. Maybe I finally get my wish, albeit 10 years too late and htey hire McKillop 

Why has he never left Davidson?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »

I am not saying he would work at every school, but I thought he was a better option than Norm. To me he was a good solid coach that we could afford and who would come. He is too old now and would not be a smart choice to follow Lavin, so naturally that is probably exactly who will get hired.

For me the bottom line is SJU has not had a strong game coach since Louie who was not exactly an offensive genius either. Before I totally lose interest I would like to see them hire one that is competent.

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »
This has  been the most disappointing stretch of play I have seen in my time as a fan (not the worst, the worst was definitely when Norm was coach, but I had no hope then, so it was much easier to take).  Also, I was extremely pissed at the end of depaul, slightly less so last night, so perhaps I have almost lost hope in Lavin righting the ship, HOWEVER, the facts as I see them:

Coming into conference play we were right where I expected -- we lost to two top-10 teams and one cupcake (and not the worst cupcake and in overtime), overall it was not a bad start.

In conference play -- we lost @ Xavier and @ Gtown, two likely bubble teams on their home courts.  This was also not unexpected, though the way by which we lost was disconcerting.

We lose at home to Nova.  Also not unexpected, since they are the class of the Big East and another top-10 team.  Plus, the johnnies didn't play poorly.

We lose @ depaul.  This is a bad loss.  A 10-point loss would have hurt less.  Hooper makes the shot and we're happy, unfortunately he doesn't.  However, depaul isn't as bad as usual (they're really bad, but usually they're even worse than that).

We lose at home to providence in 2-overtimes.  This game hurts, because the team has so many chances.  It seems to continue the trend where every big moment of every big game is in the opponents' favor this year.  St. John's fans melt down.  People at work start talking about how they're terrible.  That's where we are now, no more no less.

Right now I see us as 2-3 wins behind what I would expect of this team.  I lay that all on the coaching staff.  LOOKING FORWARD:  Can this team finish the season 2-3 games better than I expected?  I doubt it based on the coaching/playing trend I see on the court.  BUT it's not impossible and I will let the remaining 15 games play out before calling for the coach's head or overly criticizing the players. 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:51:21 PM by apesNapes »

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »

Guy can recruit, guy can coach

Guy is a bigger fraud than Lavin.  Lavin is an overrated recruiter.  UCLA did the recruiting for itself based on its history at the time Lavin took over the program maybe not so much anymore.

Lavin first so called recruiting class featured 3 players who were ineligible (never seen that at one school at same time before) so he was basically recruiting against himself for those kids and those kids got to feel good about themselves by signing with a Big East school when they really had no chance to play.  The other recruits besides Harkless and Harrison have not come close to living up to their billing.  Harkless left after one year and Harrison has not been as good as he was freshmen year as Mo's sidekick.

All 4 JC players he has signed and totally hyped up all stink- Borgault (best shooter he ever saw) Nurideen Lindsey (best scorer he ever saw), Orlando Sanchez (best frontcourt addition in entire country according to Lav, and then God's Gift (I cant remember the hype behind him).

Polee was totally overrated and left.  Stith quit the team midyear and left.  Sampson he spent an entire year rerecruiting because Sampson's feelings were hurt when he was ruled ineligible and held it against St john's.

Darrick Wood was ineligible, every NYC player has spurned him, Rico gathers decommited as did Devon Thomas. 

Are any of these players good anywhere?

Lavin recruits the worst basketball players just goes after the biggest names and tries to build a fantasy roster with zero chemistry.  He is a totally overrated recruiter.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:52:37 PM by Needs2go »

Moose

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 02:53:41 PM »

I am not saying he would work at every school, but I thought he was a better option than Norm. To me he was a good solid coach that we could afford and who would come. He is too old now and would not be a smart choice to follow Lavin, so naturally that is probably exactly who will get hired.

For me the bottom line is SJU has not had a strong game coach since Louie who was not exactly an offensive genius either. Before I totally lose interest I would like to see them hire one that is competent.

For Norm yeah would have made sense.  I just wonder why he has never left Davidson after sooooo many years.  If he wanted to be closer to home he's had chances not just SJU.
Agree he should not be considered this time around

boo3

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »
Not a fan of Lavin?

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »

For Norm yeah would have made sense.  I just wonder why he has never left Davidson after sooooo many years.  If he wanted to be closer to home he's had chances not just SJU.
Agree he should not be considered this time around

I agree but I would go with the stronger game coach and worry less about recruiting this time around. Assuming we can't get someone who is adept at both.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:59:23 PM by we are sju »

Tiger

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 03:26:49 PM »
Maybe the job search should start with identifying the basic qualifications and experience

Do we want/need?

A current head coach at a major program
   Is SJU willing to spend what it takes?

A former head coach at a major program
  What happened at previous school?
   Is SJU willing to take  the accompanying baggage?

A current head coach at a lower rated (if any) program
   What are the risks of failure?

A highly touted assistant coach at a major program
   What are the risks of failure?

boo3

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »
 I think everyone should just come to the reality that we are no longer , and likely will never be, a perennial NCCA tourney team..

We haven't been in a real long time..  Going once every 10 years, basically means you suck.....Fact.

Switching coaches every 5 years because we don't make tournament isn't a road map for success either, as the evidence bears out.

Basically, I'm done getting worked up, worried, or, for the most part, caring about the day to day minutia of this program... We are a bottom feeder program.. If you feel otherwise, p[lease show me evidence to the contrary, because there isn't any...

Enjoy the rest of the season, or try to...  Things aren't going to change this year, next year, or 3 years from now... This is who St. John's basketball is... A program still living off a Final Four in 1985...  It's pathetic... 

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2014, 03:42:03 PM »
 would like to take a shot at a succesful mid major coach since for all intent and purposes that is what SJU is. Mid Major coaches are usually strong X and O guys out of necessity and utuilize the three which  the program has basically ignored.

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »
I think everyone should just come to the reality that we are no longer , and likely will never be, a perennial NCCA tourney team..

We haven't been in a real long time..  Going once every 10 years, basically means you suck.....Fact.

Switching coaches every 5 years because we don't make tournament isn't a road map for success either, as the evidence bears out.

Basically, I'm done getting worked up, worried, or, for the most part, caring about the day to day minutia of this program... We are a bottom feeder program.. If you feel otherwise, p[lease show me evidence to the contrary, because there isn't any...

Enjoy the rest of the season, or try to...  Things aren't going to change this year, next year, or 3 years from now... This is who St. John's basketball is... A program still living off a Final Four in 1985...  It's pathetic... 

Yup..........basically sums it up.

paultzman

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »

Can't argue with your assessment Boo.  If this current marriage does end, I am reminding myself to be patient.  The tenuous nature of the program will require three to five years under a competent coach to reach a respectable level of performance.

Also, as a long time fan and season ticket holder in the Mullin days, I agree  too often we live in the past. I have lowered my expectations & would be quite content to emulate the success of the Xaviers, Temples & Marquettes of the world.  That is a daunting task, so thinking in terms of national championships would be setting myself up for failure.

Moose

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 04:45:51 PM »

Are you saying you don't think SJU can be among the top 5 jobs for teams that only play bball