Switching teams?

• 38 replies

hnk

Switching teams?
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:53:45 AM »
I've been a St; John's season ticket holder for decades and a fan before long before that. i didn't go to St John's but grew up a fan. i'm contemplating switching teams at least for the rest of this year....thinking about Creighton, Columbia or Our Savior New American (on the right night they might play St. John's competitively.)

Anyone have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:00:05 AM by Moose »

mkras99

Re: Sswitching teams?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:59:15 AM »
Wichita State.

Moose

Re: Switching teams?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:01:48 AM »
I've been a St; John's season ticket holder for decades and a fan before long before that. i didn't go to St John's but grew up a fan. i'm contemplating switching teams at least for the rest of this year....thinking about Creighton, Columbia or Our Savior New American (on the right night they might play St. John's competitively.)

Anyone have any suggestions?

I figured you for Wisky
Remember who broke the Slice news

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:02:28 AM »
My friends went to ohio st. Not only did they have a great time but they have great teams to root for.

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:09:34 AM »
Seriously, I think I might join you. My dad and I have watched almost every game this year, not together, and we talk on the phone after each game. He's an SJU alum (Class of '59), grew up with Looie and loves the school and the program. As do as I grew up on SJU hoops.

However we're both in utter dismay over what has transpired with this program since the early 2000's. This program has never been the same competitive wise.

Why are the Johnnies like the Jets and always doing things ass backwards? This program needs a Shaka Smart, a coach who has a clue about X's and O's.

I'm sorry but Steve Lavin looks lost as an in-game tactician and coach.

Maybe I'll be a Shocker fan the rest of the way too!

hnk

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »
Moose, Wisky is a great idea.  I definitely needed some last night.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »
Hoosiers.  They have great tradition, are competitive, and Crean has them believing again

Tha Kid

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:21:57 AM »
Can't switch teams for a year and then come back.  You leave and you'll miss the next decade of frustration.  Why would you ever do that?

Pick a mid-major at least if you're going to switch.  No one likes a front runner of a big time school.
"I drink and I know things"

boo3

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »
IONA....

Moose

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 09:22:43 AM »
Pick Masiello ooops I mean Manhattan :)

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
Can someone explain all the love for Masiello - he really hasn't done anything at Manhattan yet, has he?  I mean way too early to judge, but certainly not the success I'd want quite yet if we have a coach search at year's end. 

Moose

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 09:28:29 AM »
Can someone explain all the love for Masiello - he really hasn't done anything at Manhattan yet, has he?  I mean way too early to judge, but certainly not the success I'd want quite yet if we have a coach search at year's end. 

Sure thing :)

21-12 year 1
14-18 last year and it was without his leading scorer.
Many consider them the favorites this year.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:29:03 AM by Moose »

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 09:29:25 AM »
Big time schools play ball in March though.

Johnny23

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 09:34:45 AM »
Please, if the Johnnies ever do look for a new coach and the school president, administration and the boosters with money are SERIOUS about big time hoops, then bring in a coach with a big name.

I don't want Masiello or any of these other no names. Bring in a Shaka Smart or someone on his level from a top mid major. I look at guys like Smart, Larranaga and Marshall at Wichita and think to myself how the hell do the Johnnies not ever go after the real top available guys.

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 09:38:54 AM »

21-12 year 1

Still would like to see him actually prove something before we go all googly over this guy for next coach. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:39:12 AM by Tha Kid »

Moose

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 09:45:25 AM »
Shaka Smart- Smart’s guaranteed compensation is $1.45 million in the first year of the contract and $1.5 million in subsequent years. (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/20/shaka-smarts-new-contract-at-virginia-commonwealth/)

Jim Larranaga- 5 years ago sure.  Not now.

Gregg Marshall- The school announced Monday that Marshall's amended contract raises his base salary to $1.6 million on Nov. 9 and $1.75 million next April. (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9714657/wichita-state-shockers-increase-gregg-marshall-salary-175m)

Lavin is getting paid the most out of any SJU coach ever.  There is no guarantee they dish out the  same money again. No guarantee those same big money boosters are around.  No guarantee any of these guys WANT to come to SJU and if they did would require raises over their current comparable if not more than Lavin is making.

Young
Hungry
Wants to be at SJU

That's what we need out of a coach at this crucial juncture.

Moose

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 09:46:43 AM »

21-12 year 1

Still would like to see him actually prove something before we go all googly over this guy for next coach. 

Curious what's a proven coach in your mind that is realistic in some way shape or form?

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 09:49:13 AM »
Shaka Smart- Smart’s guaranteed compensation is $1.45 million in the first year of the contract and $1.5 million in subsequent years. (http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/20/shaka-smarts-new-contract-at-virginia-commonwealth/)

Gregg Marshall- The school announced Monday that Marshall's amended contract raises his base salary to $1.6 million on Nov. 9 and $1.75 million next April. (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9714657/wichita-state-shockers-increase-gregg-marshall-salary-175m)

Lavin is getting paid the most out of any SJU coach ever.  There is no guarantee they dish out the  same money again. No guarantee those same big money boosters are around.  No guarantee any of these guys WANT to come to SJU and if they did would require raises over their current comparable if not more than Lavin is making.

Young
Hungry
Wants to be at SJU

Agree. We can also sweeten salary pot by eliminating Keady's "scholarship".   :)

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »
San Diego State, solid defensively and have great player in Xavier Thames and developing star in Winston Shepard.

Johnny23

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 09:52:15 AM »

Young
Hungry
Wants to be at SJU

I agree and I like Lavin. But he can't coach worth a damn. He looks lost on the sidelines and has no idea how to make in-game changes based on how the other team is defending the Johnnies.

Can't these big boosters who brought him open the checkbook and bring in a really good assistant coach.  A great X's and O's guy. That's what this team needs or it will never just magically get better with Lavin making the calls.