Will we get Pressure From Fox?

• 9 replies
Will we get Pressure From Fox?
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:01:16 AM »
Right now the folks over Fox Sports 1 must be just livid. They go out and acquire rights to the Big East and for most part it has been a dud. Especially when it comes to us. We were suppose to be a flagship program for conference. Had we lived up to some of expectations they would have something to hang there hat on. Instead they are stuck featuring an awful team. Espn would put us against Dartmouth on ESPN3.

My question is do the folks over there put pressure on us to to do something?

Right now their ROI looks horrible.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:01:36 AM by newyorker2586 »

Foad

Re: Will we get Pressure From Fox?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:02:37 AM »
Right now the folks over Fox Sports 1 must be just livid. They go out and acquire rights to the Big East and for most part it has been a dud. Especially when it comes to us. We were suppose to be a flagship program for conference. Had we lived up to some of expectations they would have something to hang there hat on. Instead they are stuck featuring an awful team. Espn would put us against Dartmouth on ESPN3.

Good grief.

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:06:45 AM »
Fox doesn't care as they're still going to make their money regardless of how good or bad SJU is.

What we all need to realize is that St. John's is not a marquee program anymore.

In the Big East, the marquee programs are 'Nova(makes me wanna puke), Creighton (I'm rooting for them and McDermott now), Marquette and Georgetown.

The next tier would be Xavier, Butler and St. John's.

Then Seton Hall, Providence and DePaul.

Tha Kid

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »
Yeah, Fox and Under Armour are going to send someone with a crowbar to Monasch's house telling him Lavin has to go....
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »
Yeah, Fox and Under Armour are going to send someone with a crowbar to Monasch's house telling him Lavin has to go....
that be nice

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 12:29:23 PM »
All Fox cares about is ratings.  We can't assess how good or bad in Fox's eyes we are without knowing how our games rank with respect to eyeballs on the screen.  The only ratings insight I recall seeing was on this board - where SJU-Xavier was the highest rated game on New Year's Eve.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:34:42 PM »

This isn't reality.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

desco80

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:50:49 PM »

How do we know what their return is?  It's all relative. 
For similar programming they might have had to spend twice as much to acquire the ACC.   
Plus they're in their first year - I'm sure they aren't looking planning to turn a profit until a few years from now when people have built habits  andbrand loyalty and are used to FoxSports

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:54:48 PM »
Fox doesn't care as they're still going to make their money regardless of how good or bad SJU is.

What we all need to realize is that St. John's is not a marquee program anymore.

In the Big East, the marquee programs are 'Nova(makes me wanna puke), Creighton (I'm rooting for them and McDermott now), Marquette and Georgetown.

The next tier would be Xavier, Butler and St. John's.

Then Seton Hall, Providence and DePaul.

You're being a little aggressive putting us in that second tier with Xavier.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
We already lost to 2 of the 3 "bottom tier" programs.  Maybe there should be a 4th Estate