Next year!

• 28 replies

hnk

Next year!
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »
Which players will not return aside from GG, Orlando, and MB?   

Will we make  NCAA's? 

Will there be staff changes?

NCAA's here we come!

TONYD3

Re: Next year!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »
No one is going to the nba that is for sure

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »
Pre-Season: Jakaar, JR, Obekpa and Jordan go pro
Now: Ummmmm.  Nevermind

boo3

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 02:22:12 PM »
 3 weeks ago i would have put the house on Obekpa and Jordan leaving... Now I'm not sure either will leave..   Say what you will, these kids love the guys... Rysheed looks much more engaged than ever before... Saw him with his arms around Whitesall and laughing smiling with teammates..  This wasn't the case in the beginning..

If I had to bet on someone leaving I'd say Obekpa, but that would be a tremendous mistake.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »
Why would any of them want to miss the Final Four run?

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 04:19:10 PM »

Man you be bugging they ain't goin....Oh!! I see what you did there!  Clever, Very Clever...

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »

Man you be bugging they ain't goin....Oh!! I see what you did there!  Clever, Very Clever...

It wouldn't be the first time that a group of upperclassmen put it together and achieve more than could have been envisioned the year before.  Optimism, dude!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 04:48:41 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 05:17:38 PM »
I have no idea why announcers constantly talk about JaKarr being a NBA talent. He's not. He can't go to his left, isn't fast enough, and has no strength.

Other than Jordan (who I think needs another year to shine), Obekpa is the real NBA talent on this club. Can't see why he wouldn't make the jump this year. I think he'd dominate the combine measurements and be a perfect fit for a playoff team in the late 1st.

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 05:33:31 PM »
I have no idea why announcers constantly talk about JaKarr being a NBA talent. He's not. He can't go to his left, isn't fast enough, and has no strength.

Other than Jordan (who I think needs another year to shine), Obekpa is the real NBA talent on this club. Can't see why he wouldn't make the jump this year. I think he'd dominate the combine measurements and be a perfect fit for a playoff team in the late 1st.

Obekpa is not an NBA talent at this point by any stretch of the imagination. Hasheem Thabeet is a perfect guy to look at to see that CO is not close to an NBA talent. Thabeet averaged 10, 8, and 4.5 blocks as a sophomore at Yukon, is 5 inches taller and was much more physically dominant than CO is now at that stage of his career. Thabeet was drafted 2nd overall which means he was given every chance to succeed as teams dont just give up on 2nd overall picks easily. In 6 years since being drafted hes started 20 NBA games, has had several stints in the D-league and is averaging 2.3 pts and 2.8 rebounds per game in his career.

If CO were to leave after this year theres no way he gets drafted. He would end up on a D-league bench or overseas. Even if he stays all 4 years I dont see him making an NBA roster. He has 0 offensive ability, is not even close to being as good a rebounder as he should be, and would get physically dominated by NBA forwards and centers

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 05:39:17 PM »
It's far more than stastistics though. Thabeet was 7'3" and had the physique of a string bean. The only similarity is that they played in the big east and are shotblockers. Really silly comparison, IMHO.

Obekpa is far more a poor man's Ibaka than Thabeet.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:39:57 PM by 0404 »

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »
CO isn't ready now but it is foolish to project that even if he stays 4 years he won't be an NBA talent.  You don't know how much he will improve in the next 2 years.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »
You've got to remember, plenty of NBA teams (Especially playoff/veteran teams) will draft projects and stash them on their bench for a few years. He's definitely not a lottery pick, but I really think he would shine in the combine and some executive would drool over his potential. He has all the makings of a stud defensive PF.

Bismarck Biyombo (6'9 245 defensive PF) was the 7th overall pick based practically solely on measurements.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 05:45:29 PM »
It's far more than stastistics though. Thabeet was 7'3" and had the physique of a string bean. The only similarity is that they played in the big east and are shotblockers. Really silly comparison, IMHO.

I agree. Thabeet was immobile and unathletic.  He blocked shots because of his height and decent timing.  He was o nly effective is he was camped out under the basket... On both ends.  CO is extremely athletic.  His timing, leaping ability and ability to run the floor make him a very different player and shot blocker.  CO's short-coming is his lack of height for the position he will be forced to play.

goredmen

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »

Thabeet may have been on the skinny side but he was no Shawn Bradley. Obekpa is just as much of a string bean as Thabeet was. Obekpa needs to put on at least 20 pounds

You've got to remember, plenty of NBA teams (Especially playoff/veteran teams) will draft projects and stash them on their bench for a few years. He's definitely not a lottery pick, but I really think he would shine in the combine and some executive would drool over his potential. He has all the makings of a stud defensive PF.

CO has no offensive potential. Unless its an uncontested dunk Obekpa isnt scoring in the NBA. Even though he's not an offensive player, Ibaka was a FAR superior offensive player than CO ever will be when he broke into the league. Ibaka is a 71% career FT shooter. Obekpa will be lucky to be 55% someday.

goredmen

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 05:59:26 PM »

He was o nly effective is he was camped out under the basket... On both ends.

That doesnt apply to Obekpa?

Poison

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
I'm hoping Max Hooper realizes that this is not an appropriate level for him to play at. He sounds like a bright kid, so he probably does realize that.

SJUFAN

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
Bismarck Biyombo (6'9 245 defensive PF) was the 7th overall pick based practically solely on measurements.

How do you know this? If that was the case there wouldn't be a need to actually play college basketball. 

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »

How do you know this? If that was the case there wouldn't be a need to actually play college basketball. 

Yeah, they never drafted players out of high school or anything like that.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 06:28:35 PM »

No.  In fact, he is most effective coming from the weak side or blocking shots in transition.  His biggest weakness is when he is under the basket guarding a man one on one.  They put a shoulder in his chest and muscle their way to the basket.

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 06:49:25 PM »

No.  In fact, he is most effective coming from the weak side or blocking shots in transition.  His biggest weakness is when he is under the basket guarding a man one on one.  They put a shoulder in his chest and muscle their way to the basket.
He just turned 20 years old and probably weighed 195 lbs when he arrived as a freshman.  By the time he's a senior (if he sticks around), I'd bet he adds another 20 lbs to his frame (currently listed at 240 but he's closer to 215) and can defend the post at a high level.  Biyombo isn't a horrible comp for him.  Biyombo with Ibaka upside gets you drafted.