#62 in Jay Bilas' top 68 Index

• 37 replies

Tha Kid

#62 in Jay Bilas' top 68 Index
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:49:55 AM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10433682/jay-bilas-ranks-top-68-teams-college-hoops-college-basketball

Here's St. John's

"62. St. John's Red Storm (Previous ranking: NR)

The Johnnies have won three in a row, including a home victory over Creighton. A solid defensive team with athleticism, St. John's does not do a good job offensively, and settles for more jump shots than anyone. St. John's should live at the free throw line, yet it rates just 253rd in free throw rate."

And the rest of the BE:

"6. Villanova Wildcats (Previous ranking: 6)

Jay Wright has done a terrific job of fostering leadership and attitude with this team, and he has been building this group for the past two years -- and doing so patiently with a firm grasp of the big picture. Vital to this team has been the play and leadership of senior James Bell, who has averaged 15 points and 5.3 rebounds per game in Big East play. Along with Bell is junior Darrun Hilliard, who is averaging 13.5 points per game, in addition to JayVaughn Pinkston, Ryan Arcidiacono and Daniel Ochefu. This team is deep, athletic and good on defense, but sets itself apart with its ability to get into the lane and score inside of the arc. The Wildcats assist on 63 percent of their field goals. Villanova also scores off of its defense, averaging a Big East-best 16.9 points per game off turnovers.

13. Creighton Bluejays (Previous ranking: 20)

The Bluejays are not a great defensive club or rebounding team, but hold their own. However, Creighton can really score, averaging 123.8 points per 100 possessions, second best in the nation behind Duke. Grant Gibbs is back and Doug McDermott continues to impress, including against teams with athleticism and length. Creighton lost at St. John's, but has Villanova coming up in Omaha.

43. Xavier Musketeers (Previous ranking: 38)

After dropping three in a row, Xavier bounced back to beat Providence behind Semaj Christon's big game. The Musketeers have done a really good job limiting opponents to one shot per possession, but need to continue to improve their perimeter defense and recovering to defend 3-point shooters.

60. Providence Friars (Previous ranking: 52)

The Friars have lost four of the past five. Interestingly, this is a poor perimeter-shooting team, ranking 296th in effective field goal percentage, 215th in 3-point percentage and 307th in 2-point percentage. However, it leads the nation in free throw percentage at 78.6 percent.

63. Georgetown Hoyas (Previous ranking: 60)

The Hoyas have had personnel issues this season and overall have not performed well. Yet, when you think the towel would be thrown in, the Hoyas keep fighting -- and winning. After losing six of seven, Georgetown has won four straight, including victories over Michigan State and Providence. The Bilastrator does not expect Georgetown to remain in The Bilas Index, but is impressed with its fight."
"I drink and I know things"

pmg911

Re: #62 in Jay Bilas' top 68 Index
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
We have great chance to beat 3 of the teams on list above us...

Moose

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:16:38 AM »
I'd love to know what teams settle for the least amount of jump shots.  I watch a lot of college ball and I don't see us as any different from others.  Granted we don't hit as many shots as them but in terms of attempts nothing seems awry to me on the surface.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »
I'd love to know what teams settle for the least amount of jump shots.  I watch a lot of college ball and I don't see us as any different from others.  Granted we don't hit as many shots as them but in terms of attempts nothing seems awry to me on the surface.

SJU takes a lot of long two's. Worst percentage shot in the game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »

I'd argue if you can't hit a 3 a step or two in should increase your chances, no?

Wods317

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »
I am not a Jay Bilas fan but he is correct here about getting to the line more. Obviously every team wants to get to the line more but with our athleticism and speed we should be getting to the line a lot more. I look at a guy like Rysheed who at times seems like he get to the basket any time he wants but some games he settles for jumpers. If I am coach I'm telling Jordan, Branch, and Harrison to take the ball to the hoop as often as possible.

boo3

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:58:23 AM »

I'd argue if you can't hit a 3 a step or two in should increase your chances, no?

AGree Moose. I never understood that argument about the "worst percentage shot"  Is stopping the flow and taking a step back to three a better shot?  I argue no way.  Take the shooter out of his rhythm.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:59:59 AM by boo3 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »

Its measured by free throw attempts. I don't know the numbers but I'm sure we are near the bottom. That is indicative of settling for jump shots opposed to driving the ball to the basket where there is a higher chance of getting fouled.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:00:10 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 12:01:25 PM »
Teams have packed the zone in against us all year because we are/ were a terrible jump shooting team.  Makes it harder to drive.  Fortunately, our sooting, though still a bit streaky, has improved of late.  Until recently, I don't think too many of us even wanted to get to the line.  That, too, has gotten better of late

Moose

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »

Its measured by free throw attempts. I don't know the numbers but I'm sure we are near the bottom. That is indicative of settling for jump shots opposed to driving the ball to the basket where there is a higher chance of getting fouled.

If that is true in how its measured than its severely flawed.  I do agree we don't penetrate as much as we should.  Especially with speed guys like Greene and talents like Jordan who can create.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 12:07:02 PM »
Teams have packed the zone in against us all year because we are/ were a terrible jump shooting team.  Makes it harder to drive.  Fortunately, our sooting, though still a bit streaky, has improved of late.  Until recently, I don't think too many of us even wanted to get to the line.  That, too, has gotten better of late

Difference between this year and previous years is this team can hit open jumpers.  If a guy is open I have a lot of confidence they can hit it.  Problem is we have far too many prolonged stretches still when a certain guy might be on the bench and the offense stagnates and its just guys standing around launching contested jumpers.  Drive, open up a player or get fouled as mentioned.  That will increase the efficiency.

SJUFAN

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 12:17:35 PM »

However true that may be it hasn't stopped Jordan from driving. To a certain point other teams packing it in becomes an excuse for not driving it more. There are oppurtunities to drive the ball on zone defenses when the ball is rotated from strong to weak side and the defense is in the process of recovering. But if you hold the ball on the catch instead of driving it you allow the defense to recover making it more difficult. Bottom line is our players have to be more proactive instead of reactive.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »
Our resurgence has been built on defense, period.  The offense is inconsistent and unpredictable but solid "D" will keep you in games night in and night out.  I think the kids have bought into this and are now capable of beating almost anyone.  We are also able to lose any time we don't hustle.  I think we're better than a lot of teams ranked higher and now it's up to Lavin and the kids to prove themselves.  There's a lot on the line right now and that's a pleasant surprise after the start we got.  I do believe we'll stumble in a game we should win but perhaps that will be offset by an upset that goes our way.  For a change I think we may be able to make some noise in the BET and maybe get to the dance as a result.  Ultimately Lavin's fate should be decided by his recruiting for 2015 but we don't have anyone with enough balls to make a decision on that basis. Fingers crossed as we wait for names to emerge.

LoganK

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »

Worst percentage shot is misleading.  A long 2 is the least EFFICIENT shot you can take.  On average, they will be made slightly more than threes, as you say Moose (but only slightly), but are worth 33% less points.  In other words, if you go 4/10 from three, you're a very good shooter as you have provided 12 points on 10 shots.  If you go even 5/10 from a foot closer, you're less efficient even with the extra make, as you have provided 10 points on 10 shots.  So while yes, it will increase your chances for a make, it decreases your effectiveness. 
That's one of the reasons that Phoenix (I think it's them, might have been someone else) has been changing the culture of their NBDL teams as well as the NBA team to teach to only shoot within a few feet of the rim or three point shots; as everything else is an inefficient way to score.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »

It's a dumb argument people have been obsessing over lately. Settling for long jumpers in general is not a good thing. We have guys like Sampson that just flatout can't hit a three, but a few step inside the arch and the % jumps quite a bit

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 06:53:49 PM »

It's a dumb argument people have been obsessing over lately. Settling for long jumpers in general is not a good thing. We have guys like Sampson that just flatout can't hit a three, but a few step inside the arch and the % jumps quite a bit

Yes we take a lot of deep 2's. But, Jakarr knocks them down at a pretty good clip, as does Harrison and they are the main players on our team that take deep 2's. So I would argue for us it is not the worst percentage shot.

goredmen

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »

Yes we take a lot of deep 2's. But, Jakarr knocks them down at a pretty good clip, as does Harrison and they are the main players on our team that take deep 2's. So I would argue for us it is not the worst percentage shot.

Phil knocks them down pretty consistently too

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »

Pomeroy tweeted after the Creighton game: "This is the biggest win for the mid-range jump shot since...?"

I especially hate when Dom passes up a wide open three in favor of taking a 15 footer with a hand in his face.  Have a little confidence - his stroke is not that materially worse from 3.

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 07:57:43 PM »

Threes give you 50% more points than a two. There's a reason the future of the game will be with close twos (FT's) and threes as the advanced statistics improve.

I find it hard to believe Sampson, who has taken 5 threes all season, "flat out can't hit" one, yet can take one foot in and hit them OVER DEFENDERS at a decent clip. It's just silly at this point.

Pointer also shot a respectable 33% from 3 last season, while shooting more 3's on average (0.1 higher) than this year...and yet he's WIDE OPEN every single possession but won't take them.

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »
Some real nice developments during this run...

The development of an offensive game by Obekpa. He's given us points w his move around and under the basket. A nice jump hook. Also, has become more of a rebounder.

The outside game of JKS. Like people have said, a fan feels confident when he puts one up. When's the last time an SJU fan said that about a forward? Outstanding effort defending McDermott in the second half.

Lavin tightening the rotation. Guys are fresh, fresh legs. Teams like Providence and Creighton might start to wear down.

It is kind of reminiscent of 2011. A team considered down and out makes a big February run.