Evil Genius?

• 25 replies
Evil Genius?
« on: February 16, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »
If Lavin started Jordan from the beginning we would be looking at a one and done. Smart move by coach keeping him around another year :)
Most athletic point guard SJU has ever had.

DFF6

Re: Evil Genius?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »
If Lavin started Jordan from the beginning we would be looking at a one and done. Smart move by coach keeping him around another year :)

I said the same thing in another thread.  Got the typical reaction, but if it were true....

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »
Rysheed would be crazy to jump to the league this year. Next year he'd be a lottery pick.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:36:31 PM »

I said the same thing in another thread.  Got the typical reaction, but if it were true....

Tongue in cheek. If Jordan would have started from the beginning we would be at least 2 games better and on right side of bubble. No matter at least he eventually figured it out. Now he has to figure out that when Branch is healthy he and only he should backup Jordan and Greene should never be allowed to play there.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »
Rysheed would be crazy to jump to the league this year. Next year he'd be a lottery pick.

Of course, my point was if he started and played big minutes from the beginning it would have been a potential problem

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »

Of course, my point was if he started and played big minutes from the beginning it would have been a potential problem

Well I disagree, he clearly wasn't the same player early in the year. Took him this long to figure it out, which is to be expected from a freshman. But, I'll let you guys discuss your conspiracy.

boo3

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 09:41:36 PM »
^^^ yeah.. it was pretty obvious the kid needed to work some things out.. It worked out well. He's happy and playing great

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:44:35 PM »

Well I disagree, he clearly wasn't the same player early in the year. Took him this long to figure it out, which is to be expected from a freshman. But, I'll let you guys discuss your conspiracy.
There is not a planet in the galaxy where Phil Greene should have started over Jordan at any time during their lives. If it makes you sleep better not wondering what might have been and you want to believe that that is your choice however.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 09:52:58 PM »
Kid is an absolute stud. His shot looks good, just needs to be more consistent. It will come. I really think his passing has made the whole team better passers, it can be contagious. Obekpba and Sampson with back to back 4 assist games? who would have ever saw that coming?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 09:54:17 PM »
Kid is an absolute stud. His shot looks good, just needs to be more consistent. It will come. I really think his passing has made the whole team better passers, it can be contagious. Obekpba and Sampson with back to back 4 assist games? who would have ever saw that coming?

When he is not in the game the offense grinds to a halt. Gtown made the run when he went to the bench with 3rd foul.

boo3

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 09:56:02 PM »
 I think some of you are missing the point.. You can't assume anything from the beginning of the season. Did you watch?  Jordan was pretty terrible. Of course he's better than Phil Greene, thats not the argument...

Maybe Lavin should have thrown him to the wolves early on?  I guess, if that's how you want to look at it.. I look at it like the team is peaking at the right time and Jordan has been phenomenal.. Bottom line..  Can't change what happened.   Move on.. 

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »

When he is not in the game the offense grinds to a halt. Gtown made the run when he went to the bench with 3rd foul.

Im with you 100% need branch when his is out and been saying so all year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »
I think some of you are missing the point.. You can't assume anything from the beginning of the season. Did you watch?  Jordan was pretty terrible. Of course he's better than Phil Greene, thats not the argument...

Maybe Lavin should have thrown him to the wolves early on?  I guess, if that's how you want to look at it.. I look at it like the team is peaking at the right time and Jordan has been phenomenal.. Bottom line..  Can't change what happened.   Move on.. 

I don't think he was terrible. And I am not a fair weather Jordan fan having called for him to get the ball from day one. But even if you think he was terrible, Greene was not the answer and Jordan would have progressed at an earlier stage than he has. He is a great talent, sooner or later it was going to come through and what better time to start than early season against non conf teams?

boo3

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 10:04:35 PM »
Terrible might be a strong word, but he wasn't ready.. He is now.. clearly..

You can make the same agrument that because he was babied in the beginning is the reason he's excelling...Neither argument can be proved...

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 10:09:13 PM »

You can make the same agrument that because he was babied in the beginning is the reason he's excelling...Neither argument can be proved...

If Branch was starting I'd still argue but understand, but it took half way through his Junior season for coach to realize Greene is not a point guard? What was the upside? Look I am ecstatic we are back in the picture for the tourney. But I am still annoyed that we threw away so many games with the juggling of the lineups and the rotations. I won't get over that until I see SJU pop up on Selection Sunday.

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »

If Branch was starting I'd still argue but understand, but it took half way through his Junior season for coach to realize Greene is not a point guard? What was the upside? Look I am ecstatic we are back in the picture for the tourney. But I am still annoyed that we threw away so many games with the juggling of the lineups and the rotations. I won't get over that until I see SJU pop up on Selection Sunday.

Beating a dead horse.

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 10:13:26 PM »

Take a second to enjoy the win!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 10:17:05 PM »

Beating a dead horse.

Nope, still mad at Louie for playing Moses over Jackson

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 02:45:25 PM »
Tongue in cheek. If Jordan would have started from the beginning we would be at least 2 games better and on right side of bubble.

BEEP!!!  Wrong again.  The opposite.  If the savior played more early on we'ld probably 'be at least 2 games worse and further from the bubble'.  The fact that Philly is playing at a first team all-conference level 3/4 into his freshman year represents substantial evidence that Hollywood has brought the kid along perfectly.

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 03:35:55 PM »
OMG!  Why do we posters think we know more about the players than the coaches who are experts, see and talk to the kids everyday and know how well they are adjusting to the game?  Adjusting to college is hard enough for any kid.  Playing basketball adds to it.  Dealing with being away from home while you have a sick mother makes it doubly difficult.  Rysheed was not ready, day one, to run the team.  He had a learning curve.  While he showed flashes early on, Fordham was the first game where I sensed that things really clicked.  He is doing well know.  Let's not insist that we know he would have come along faster had he been thrown to the wolves.