5th guy

• 37 replies
5th guy
« on: February 16, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »
First off Great Win.
Obviously Harrison, Jordan, Sampson and Obepka are our 4 best players. Matchups aside, who are you most comfortable with being the 5th? I am going with Sanchez. Dom makes me nervous even though he actually usually makes winning plays down the stretch. Being the 2nd best ft shooter doesn't hurt my Sanchez pick.

boo3

Re: 5th guy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »
sanchez also...Dom is too all over the place.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »
sanchez also...Dom is too all over the place.

Every time I get mad at Dom he does something positive but  he does make me nervous. I would bet that Pointer has one of the best plus minuses on the team though.

boo3

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:48:40 PM »
Sanchez is a great FT shooter also.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 09:55:22 PM »
It wouldnt be dom. And obekpa actually is tough to have because of the FT shooting (seton hall Cough Cough), Id go with Sanchez and Branch honestly. But those are my guys and phil doesnt hurt you when hes not running the point.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »

If we need Defense/energy Dom, Outside shooting Greene, Overall game Sanchez.  They each have their moments. 

Having said that I don't like the Sampson/Obepka/Sanchez combo on the court at the same time.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
Sanchez because of his FT shooting. 

And I'd go offense / defense with Dom and CO down the stretch.  Although, CO is showing some confidence with his outside jumper and offensive game in general!!

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »
It wouldnt be dom. And obekpa actually is tough to have because of the FT shooting (seton hall Cough Cough), Id go with Sanchez and Branch honestly. But those are my guys and phil doesnt hurt you when hes not running the point.

I actually have as much faith in Obepka shooting free throws as I do Sampson at this point

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »
I'd go Dom because he's a much better defender. Has the ability to force turnovers when we need them most.

Moose

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 07:02:46 PM »

I actually have as much faith in Obepka shooting free throws as I do Sampson at this point

Sad but true
Remember who broke the Slice news

bk8664

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 07:10:39 PM »

Sad but true

I've said this a bunch of times... I apologize for belaboring the point, but he'd be better off if he didn't hold the ball funny in his hand.. and then release it weirdly.  The ball rotates oddly on when he takes free-throws.  Free-throws!   Que sera.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:11:46 PM by bk8664 »

Moose

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 08:43:53 PM »

Sad but true

I've said this a bunch of times... I apologize for belaboring the point, but he'd be better off if he didn't hold the ball funny in his hand.. and then release it weirdly.  The ball rotates oddly on when he takes free-throws.  Free-throws!   Que sera.

I have to look closely at that.  Everyone has weird things they do at the line.  Dom flings the ball.  Obekpa was fading away.  Now he's stopped.  Paris used to be far back from the line.  But something has to change with Karr for sure. Last year he was OK from the line.  This year he's been totally unreliable it seems.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 09:19:12 PM »
I want Greene on d, because I don't think he makes mental mistakes late in games. He's not out there got make plays, but guys like Sanchez and Pointer are erratic. You never know when they'll make a terrible decision to foul. Pointer is erratic in his behavior as well. On offense, I like Sanchez, because I think he's better passes, and he's been aggressively scoring lately. He's gotta keep it up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:02:11 PM by Poison »

goredmen

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 09:46:01 PM »

Sad but true

I have to look closely at that.  Everyone has weird things they do at the line.  Dom flings the ball.  Obekpa was fading away.  Now he's stopped.  Paris used to be far back from the line.  But something has to change with Karr for sure. Last year he was OK from the line.  This year he's been totally unreliable it seems.

It looks to me that for some reason his right hand starts on the side of the ball and then moves under the ball as he starts his upward motion. He will never be consistent until he fixes that. I don't think he does that when he shoots jump shots during games though. Very odd

Tiznow

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 09:52:27 PM »
I want Greene on d, because I don't he makes mental mistakes late in games. He's not out there got make plays, but guys like Sanchez and Pointer are erratic. You never know when they'll make a terrible decision to foul. Pointer is erratic in his behavior as well. On offense, I like Sanchez, because I think he's better passes, and he's been aggressively scoring lately. He's gotta keep it up.

There was nothing erratic when Dom blocked the hoya response to Harrison's three.  The open three that was fed to Harrison by Pointer.

Moose

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 09:55:04 PM »
I want Greene on d, because I don't he makes mental mistakes late in games. He's not out there got make plays, but guys like Sanchez and Pointer are erratic. You never know when they'll make a terrible decision to foul. Pointer is erratic in his behavior as well. On offense, I like Sanchez, because I think he's better passes, and he's been aggressively scoring lately. He's gotta keep it up.

There was nothing erratic when Dom blocked the hoya response to Harrison's three.  The open three that was fed to Harrison by Pointer.

He also baseballed that pass over someone's head in the first half when it wasn't needed.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 10:38:19 PM »

He also let Smith-Rivera get a wide open three in the second which cut the lead close to ten because he didnt fight through a screen. It was bad.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Tiznow

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 10:54:51 PM »
It's easy to pick apart any player.  The top players make mistakes during the course of a game.

He made two nice plays on both ends of the floor during the pivotal moment of the game.  Look at the tape.

Few can do what this guy brings to a team.  Any coach in this league would love to have him on their team.

Moose

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 10:59:33 PM »
It's easy to pick apart any player.  The top players make mistakes during the course of a game.

He made two nice plays on both ends of the floor during the pivotal moment of the game.  Look at the tape.

Few can do what this guy brings to a team.  Any coach in this league would love to have him on their team.

Its not a question of picking apart a player.  But posters are sometimes blind to the errors, thats all.  Few guys also make such maddening errors like he does too.  Too much feast or famine.  But a player like Dom will always be in the fans hearts because of the lunch pail mindset.

desco80

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 10:23:27 AM »
I think it all depends on the situation.    If Obekpa is out there, I'd rather Pointer not be.   The two of them playing together can be too passive offensively, and allow teams to really collapse on the paint.   

So final answer: if Obekpa is in the game... Sanchez or Phil; in most other combinations I like Pointer.