Depaul II

• 96 replies
Re: Depaul II
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »
2 more and we are in IMO

goredmen

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2014, 02:13:01 PM »
You beat Marquette and say you beat Providence/Marquette round 2 and that should be enough. Win the season series against both those teams and we should be BE team #4 for the NCAA Tourney.

Any other wins after those is to boost seeding or to get us out of the play in.

Lose to MQ and then you need to at least reach the BE Tourney game, and hope you knocked off either Creighton or Villanova on the way to that title game.

Lose to MQ and we have to win the BET. none of this 2 wins in the tourney will get us in nonsense

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
You beat Marquette and say you beat Providence/Marquette round 2 and that should be enough. Win the season series against both those teams and we should be BE team #4 for the NCAA Tourney.

Lose to MQ and then you need to at least reach the BE Tourney game, and hope you knocked off either Creighton or Villanova on the way to that title game.

Lose to MQ and we have to win the BET. none of this 2 wins in the tourney will get us in nonsense

It might, only because that second win in the BET would be against Nova or Creighton.

goredmen

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »

It might, only because that second win in the BET would be against Nova or Creighton.

We'd have way too many teams to jump over who can also improve their resumes in their tournaments. Add that to the fact the bubble will shrink by a bid or 2 thanks to surprise conference tourney winners and thinking 2 wins puts us in is overly optimistic IMO

« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2014, 02:24:53 PM »

We'd have way too many teams to jump over who can also improve their resumes in their tournaments. Add that to the fact the bubble will shrink by a bid or 2 thanks to surprise conference tourney winners and thinking 2 wins puts us in is overly optimistic IMO

I think if we lose to marquette and reach the BET final we are in.

« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »

Depends who we'd meet in the finals. Anyhow only two teams can make the finals and we'd hope the Nova/Creighton team on the other side of the bracket does their homework and takes out all opposition, which would include one of PROV/MQ. While this won't be the end all be all, the fact that one team out of the 3 bubble teams got to their tourney finals(Including beating the other team, essentially winning the season series) matters, regardless of if you win the title game or not.

CU,XU,Nova are locks at this point no matter what happens. I think this league has a great shot of 4 teams.....more than 4 is purely pushing it because as you said, bracket busters tend to happen.

I think there's a really good shot we are in that sandwiched 4/5 matchup, whether its vs PROV or MQ....that remains to be seen. I think we're gonna dodge Xavier in round 2.

The 4/5 matchup, whether its SJU/MQ, SJU/PROV or MQ/PROV WILL be a a loser goes to NIT type of game unless something crazy happens like Quette upsetting Nova today.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:54:36 PM by Blindsided »

« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2014, 02:51:50 PM »
Marquette against Nova is big.  A loss today essentially knocks them out of any chance for an at large.  We need Providence to lose too.  If both are ahead of us, we have to win the BET.  If we finish 4th, we can win two in BET and lose in the finals and still have a shot at an at a bid.

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »
Marquette against Nova is big.  A loss today essentially knocks them out of any chance for an at large.  We need Providence to lose too.  If both are ahead of us, we have to win the BET.  If we finish 4th, we can win two in BET and lose in the finals and still have a shot at an at a bid.
MQ and Prov play each other on Tues at Prov. So that's pretty good for us. Someone may hold onto the 4th spot with a big win but someone will take a tough loss in the process too.

Providence then is on the road to Creighton....legit shot the Friars lose twice(Maybe they defend their turf vs Quette, that's a toss up)

If St Johns beats Quette but still is behind them(If MQ somehow beats Nova AND Prov), the Johnnies sweep the season series so them being ahead of us by 1 game isn't that big of a deal. If anything, we got a shot to close them down in round 2 since that's most likely your 4/5 matchup right there.(If CU beats Prov)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:00:37 PM by Blindsided »

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2014, 05:12:12 PM »
Except for their conference tournament.

My team's the Great Danes.

Carmine you from Albany? Im a Siena guy myself but was at the Albany New Hampshire game last Thursday.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
We absolutely need to beat Marquette, and I think we will.  Xavier is just a bad matchup and need to avoid that.   

dR3w

« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
Postgame show commentators thought St Johns needs to win the BE tournament to get in.  I totally agree.  Only 1 quality win and a horrible record against the top fifty.  The play today kinda speaks for itself.  Struggling to beat DePaul at home.  Thia team just isn't that good.

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2014, 05:59:41 PM »
Really don't see how we wouldn't get in if we make it to the BET final game. That would mean we beat Creighton or Villanova, on top of another win over a team like Xavier or Providence. That would get us in easily, and probably would get us in even if we lose to Marquette.

In my opinion:

W vs. Marquette + 1 in the BET = 50/50
W vs. Marquette + 2 in BET = 80/20
L vs. Marquette + 2 in BET = 60/40

« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2014, 06:55:54 PM »
Agree with WEARESJU.  2 more is the magic number IMO.

goredmen

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »

I personally dont think only 2 more wins even gives us hope on selection sunday. There have been 21 win teams with far better resumes than ours will be that have been left in the past. our resume is weak

« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2014, 08:33:16 PM »

I personally dont think only 2 more wins even gives us hope on selection sunday. There have been 21 win teams with far better resumes than ours will be that have been left in the past. our resume is weak

Two wins and we'll at the very least be sweating it out.

goredmen

« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2014, 11:31:27 PM »

Two wins and we'll at the very least be sweating it out.

No way. Everybody has us on the outside looking in right now. How would a 2-2 record catapult us over a number of teams, many of which also have chances to pick up big wins? It would take nothing short of a miracle to get us in with only two more wins

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2014, 02:41:30 PM »
Except for their conference tournament.

My team's the Great Danes.

Carmine you from Albany? Im a Siena guy myself but was at the Albany New Hampshire game last Thursday.

Alum.  They had a great college basketball atmosphere out at SB.  Packing a 1600 seat gym beats playing in a 3/4 empty room any day.

Go Saints!

P.S.  Two wins or bust.  Ncaa tournament is all about entertainment and out team is darn entertaining.  Selection committee won't leave us out unless they have to.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:48:24 PM by carmineabbatiello »