2014 Big East Tournament

• 119 replies

Tiznow

Re: 2014 Big East Tournament
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2014, 11:29:59 PM »
Based on quick review of the full slate of tickets there is only one other tournament that compares to this years BET in market value.  The AAC tickets in Memphis are in the same range.  ACC and Big Ten are much cheaper as is the A ten.  I'm sure there are faults to this quick analysis, but if you want to travel to Greensboro or Indy you buy tickets at the half the going rate for the BET. 

TONYD3

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 07:59:50 AM »
The best part of the new big east is the ticket prices. I miss playing uconn. But playing creightin was fun for a third of the price.

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
Just doesn't seem the same with UConn, Cuse etc. All gone. Having a hard time getting juiced for this

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »
Just doesn't seem the same with UConn, Cuse etc. All gone. Having a hard time getting juiced for this

Odd, as a St. John's fan, I feel the exact opposite way.  Even though I enjoyed watching cuse and uconn play, this is the most I've been excited for a big east tournament in a long time.  The games are so important for this team (2011 was exciting too, but that team was already in)

DFF6

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »

This is the most anticipated BET for SJU in years.  Any fan of the program should be stoked for the tourney this year.  Of course, after watching Iona sh!t the bed last night, your melancholic outlook is understandable.

Tha Kid

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2014, 09:26:53 AM »

Let me tell you a secret.  You are a Iona fan first, St. John's second, that's why the competition matters to you.  I'm not suggesting you arent a St. John's fan, but STJ is not your primary.  If you can get juiced up for Manhattan and Sacred Heart but not Providence and Villanova, it should tell you something.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2014, 09:34:23 AM »
Here we go again with this not a fan crap. Sorry if I can't get pumped for Providence coming to town. Its Nova and Creighton, rest of league leaves a lot to be desired. That being said, get passed Providence and that my changey attitude. If not, see you in NIT

Tiznow

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »
Just wondering how worked up the UConn fans are about travelling to Memphis this week.

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
Here we go again with this not a fan crap. Sorry if I can't get pumped for Providence coming to town. Its Nova and Creighton, rest of league leaves a lot to be desired. That being said, get passed Providence and that my changey attitude. If not, see you in NIT

Baldi, c'mon.  No one is saying you are not a St. John's fan but there is no way you can convince anyone Iona is not your #1 team.  It is so obvious in your posts.  There is nothing wrong with that.  St. John's is fighting to get a bid and you are not excited.  That is telling.  We love you anyway!

DFF6

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2014, 09:58:32 AM »

While I'm not concerned with what pumps you up, or why you need to use a pump, two bubble teams playing a play-in/play-out game in the second round of a conference tourney should make any college BB fan excited, especially when one of those teams is a program you're  supposedly a fan of.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:05:06 AM by DFF6 »

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »
I was talking about this tourney in general and how wweak it seems from previous years. A team like Providence being a 4 seed in the Big East doesn't sit well with me. Xavier a 3? I'm still sour on the whole realignment deal, don't mind me.

DFF6

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2014, 10:13:41 AM »
I was talking about this tourney in general and how wweak it seems from previous years. A team like Providence being a 4 seed in the Big East doesn't sit well with me. Xavier a 3? I'm still sour on the whole realignment deal, don't mind me.

All kidding aside, of course you're right.  The BET is not the gauntlet it used to be without UConn, L'ville, Pitt, Cuse, ND, etc.  The new BET is nice, but right now, the A10 Tourney looks more like the old BET than the new BET.

Tha Kid

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2014, 10:18:28 AM »

Having met you, I didn't take you for the sensitive type.  Need some tissues after last night?

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2014, 10:24:51 AM »
Not sure if it was posted on JJ anywhere, but Pomeroy had a brief blog post about the BE tournament that said

"The Big East has been unfairly maligned this year basically because, from what I can tell, it doesn’t have enough teams... Get three or four more teams into your league. Maybe you get another bid or two, and that’s what the national media tends to value when judging conferences."

Adding St. Louis and Dayton, for argument's sake, would help this league by increasing the odds for 5+ bids.  It would also help to have a few thousand additional die hards attending the BE tournament.

Tha Kid

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »

Actually, you specifically stated that you couldn't get excited for PC to come to town, which references not being able to get up for our first round matchup.  Which could mean NCAA if we win (or at the very least preserves our hope).  We could be playing the Sisters of the Poor and every St. John's fan in the world would be pumped knowing a win and we make the dance.

A requirement for a St. John's fan;  hoping we make the NCAAs.  Ask yourself if that's what you're rooting for...I think deep down you'll find the answer...

ras

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »
I cant remember a BE tourney w so much riding on it. The BE tourney will determine if we make the dance . I also am very excited about it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 10:38:17 AM by ras »

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2014, 10:42:41 AM »

Xavier would be a high seed most years even in the old BE. Also, I'm more pumped for this BET because my team winning a couple games would mean they dance. They have a realistic shot at winning the entire thing.

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
So Xavier is a team to be feared this year? Who was the 3 seed last year in big east tournament?

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »