Roger Rubin Article on Sampson

• 19 replies

DFF6

Roger Rubin Article on Sampson
« on: March 10, 2014, 12:42:16 AM »
Lots of interesting nuggets in this article. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/rubin-jakarr-eyes-nba-dance-article-1.1716259

Perhaps what most jumped out at me was this blurb:

The 6-9, 214-pounder was thinking about the NBA when St. John’s embarked on this season, what position he would play and what skills he needed to show off to impress scouts. “Thinking about the NBA . . . is the reason I started the season slow,” he says. “It worked against our team, I think.”

Then came the five-game losing streak and the Johnnies’ summit meeting. “We said, ‘If we win we will all shine. If we go to the NCAAs, we all get credit and it will help all of us in the long run,’” Sampson says. “We just realized it there. . . . Now I worry about defense and rebounding and running the floor. I can worry about the NBA later.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/rubin-jakarr-eyes-nba-dance-article-1.1716259#ixzz2vX1hbDR7

Re: Roger Rubin Article on Sampson
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:21:01 AM »
Hope he stays, but if we do well enough in the next week - month to push him to first round, wouldn't blame him.

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:45:01 AM »
No way he is a first rounder this year. No down side to waiting until next year, but I respect it is his choice.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:45:56 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:47:11 AM »
One more year Karr, one more year!

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:36:59 AM »
I've seen much better players fail.  That doesn't mean who won't be picked up by someone.  Harkless was also inconsistant...but with plenty of potential.

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »
Jakarr would be crazy to go this year if only because the strong draft will work against him.  No way he cracks the first round this year, and we all want to see him succeed.  In addition, he's gotten a ton better overall this year.  I was amazed to see he didn't make any of the all big east teams. 

DFF6

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »
Jakarr would be crazy to go this year if only because the strong draft will work against him.  No way he cracks the first round this year, and we all want to see him succeed.  In addition, he's gotten a ton better overall this year.  I was amazed to see he didn't make any of the all big east teams. 

Not making any of the all BE teams should be a wake-up call for JaKarr.  If the coaches don't consider him a top player in the watered down BE, he shouldn't expect more love from the scouts for the draft.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:46:24 AM »

Not making any of the all BE teams should be a wake-up call for JaKarr.  If the coaches don't consider him a top player in the watered down BE, he shouldn't expect more love from the scouts for the draft.

While I agree he is not NBA ready, it's kind of a joke he wasn't even on the honorable mention list.

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 10:51:32 AM »

While I agree he is not NBA ready, it's kind of a joke he wasn't even on the honorable mention list.

Agree its a joke.  Jakarr easy a 2nd teamer.  How he was left off is beyond me.

DFF6

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 10:59:46 AM »

Agree its a joke.  Jakarr easy a 2nd teamer.  How he was left off is beyond me.

I look at the slight as a gift.  Let JaKarr take it as motivation to come back next year and dominate. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:45:17 PM »
"has developed a lethal jump shot and a taste for playing defense"

Not sure how this guy came to this conclusion. Jakarr is a very poor defender, and inconsistent scorer. His defense is the sole reason he's not a first rounder at this point, imo. He needs to improve on those areas. He is not 18, at some point, potential turns into reality. 

ras

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »

Not that I think the BE is watered down from top to bottom. It definitely is not as good as previous. The fact that he wasn't even honorable mention, tells me he needs another year. He needs to work on strength and his 3 pt shot.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 09:47:27 PM »

Not sure how this guy came to this conclusion. Jakarr is a very poor defender, and inconsistent scorer. His defense is the sole reason he's not a first rounder at this point, imo. He needs to improve on those areas. He is not 18, at some point, potential turns into reality. 

Actually think he has turned into a good defender when he commits to it...made McDermott work very hard for his points, completely shut down 1st team BE player Pinkston...he has it in him

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »

Actually think he has turned into a good defender when he commits to it...made McDermott work very hard for his points, completely shut down 1st team BE player Pinkston...he has it in him

Has it in him, but far too often doesnt go to it.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 09:53:45 PM »
 Hopefully after he gets this type of feedback from NBA types he uses it as motivation and works on his D and other deficiencies.  That way, after next season, if he's ready, he can make himself some bank.

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 09:55:46 PM »

The scout probably only saw 1 or 2 of his games. Jump shot pretty good not lethal. Defense-is he quick enough to defend an NBA 3 or strong enough to defend an NBA 4? Not yet he isn't.

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
I think with a good post season this year he could be a very late first rounder, but I think with the strength of this years draft and the amount he could jump between this year and next it would be silly to leave now.

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »
I think with a good post season this year he could be a very late first rounder, but I think with the strength of this years draft and the amount he could jump between this year and next it would be silly to leave now.
Yessir.  JKS will be getting paid to go to school another year if he keeps working hard and improving

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 06:46:16 PM »
Hope he stays, but if we do well enough in the next week - month to push him to first round, wouldn't blame him.

Posts like these anger me becuase they are so out of touch with reality.  The NBA is a level that most fans don't understand.  There are 350 D-1 schools and a ton of international players vying for 32 guaranteed contracts a year.  Not every good or even GREAT player will get a sniff at the NBA.  You have to be ridiculous. 

Sampson...

is far too weak and thin for the NBA right now
has no position
cannot shoot from three
cannot defend the perimeter
cannot handle the basketball
cannot make good decisions with the basketball
does not dominate the other areas to make up for his deficiencies

Maybe...MAYBE he might squeak into the late first round after his senior year.  He is so far off right not it's not even funny, and these next two drafts are not the time to be getting risky.  I've never seen more 6'7+ talent in a draft like next season.  Sampson will be a four year player and a mid to late second rounder unless something incredible happens in 2014-2015. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:48:06 PM by Marillac »

DFF6

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 07:19:08 PM »

Posts like these anger me becuase they are so out of touch with reality.  The NBA is a level that most fans don't understand.  There are 350 D-1 schools and a ton of international players vying for 32 guaranteed contracts a year.  Not every good or even GREAT player will get a sniff at the NBA.  You have to be ridiculous. 

Sampson...

is far too weak and thin for the NBA right now
has no position
cannot shoot from three
cannot defend the perimeter
cannot handle the basketball
cannot make good decisions with the basketball
does not dominate the other areas to make up for his deficiencies

Maybe...MAYBE he might squeak into the late first round after his senior year.  He is so far off right not it's not even funny, and these next two drafts are not the time to be getting risky.  I've never seen more 6'7+ talent in a draft like next season.  Sampson will be a four year player and a mid to late second rounder unless something incredible happens in 2014-2015. 

Jeez, I hope JaKarr doesn't read these boards.  You're going to give him an inferiority complex.