I am physically ill right now...

• 38 replies
I am physically ill right now...
« on: March 13, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
...after today.  To play as poorly as they did for 35 minutes with so much on the line and then to tease us with a nice comeback is just the season in a nutshell.

Start 0-5 and then fight back only to fall short.  But just mind boggling to fall behind PC by 17 with Cotton doing nothing.

First off assuming they don't make it on Sunday which is very likely this season is not a success.  Period.  An NCAA bid was the only way this season could be considered a success.  No way this team with this talent should have been on the bubble this late.  Should not have happened. 0-5 leaves ZERO margin for error and you saw that the last two weeks. 

As far as today I was at work and missed a big chunk of the game.  Just really perplexing that at this point to be getting beat in the lane and on the glass as bad as they were for a big portion of the game with so much riding on this game.  And don't get me started on the FT shooting.

As for Coach trying to sell this season as not a failure if they don't make the NCAA's I don't have a problem with it.  Mind you I don't agree with it but I understand he doesn't want his kids to feel like failures by saying something like that.  So don't put too much into what he is saying.

Man I just can't get up for the NIT.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:20:27 PM by fordham96 »

Re: I am physically ill right now...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:09:44 PM »
...after today.  To play as poorly as they did for 35 minutes with so much on the line and then to tease us with a nice comeback is just the season in a nutshell.

Start 0-5 and then fight back only to fall short.  But just mind boggling to fall behind PC by 17 with Cotton doing nothing.

First off assuming they don't make it on Sunday which is very likely this season is not a success.  Period.  An NCAA bid was the only way this season could be considered a success.  No way this team with this talent should have been on the bubble this late.  Should not have happened. 0-5 leaves ZERO margin for error and you say that the last two weeks. 

As far as today I was at work and missed a big chunk of the game.  Just really perplexing that at this point to be getting beat in the lane and on the glass as bad as they were for a big portion of the game with so much riding on this game.  And don't get me started on the FT shooting.

As for Coach trying to sell this season as not a failure if they don't make the NCAA's I don't have a problem with it.  Mind you I don't agree with it but I understand he doesn't want his kids to feel like failures by saying something like that.  So don't put too much into what he is saying.

Man I just can't get up for the NIT.
It killed me to watch Tyler and Dewhoshewassis constantly looking down for new positioning during shots while many of the bigs look at the ball too long.  The NIT might be disappointing, but if "lesser" teams are there, there's no excuse for not making it to the Garden for the last four.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
I posted same in the game thread.  hard to go back to work, will be very difficult to go to garden tomorrow and saturday, not sure I will have much fun watching

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 08:29:33 PM »
I posted same in the game thread.  hard to go back to work, will be very difficult to go to garden tomorrow and saturday, not sure I will have much fun watching

I was set to go tomorrow night but not now.  I have zero interest.

Just mad at everyone now.  Will get over it but just mad, mad.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:29:48 PM »
As i read this, Pointer missed another layup

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »
Haven't read through all the posts, but something had to be going on with Obekpa for him not to play in the second half after the third foul.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:44:52 PM »

I was set to go tomorrow night but not now.  I have zero interest.

Just mad at everyone now.  Will get over it but just mad, mad.

Devastated as well. No doubt this team underachieved this year. The culture needs to change for next season or it will be exactly the same. We need to put together 40 minutes a game. All year it's been a struggle to do that. You can't turn the intensity on and off.  Maybe this group will mature enough to make the changes. Maybe it won't.

I just don't understand how a team with everything on the line doesn't come out hungry today?

boo3

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
 We just got manhandled underneath in the second half.. Embarrassingly so.  I was right behind the basket Prov was shooting at in the 2nd half.  Our guys effort on defensive boards was atrocious..  Sanchez, Gift, and Sampson.. Just pitiful..

Fortune...give him credit.   He hit everything during that stretch and that was it.

Harrison needed to be more aggressive with his own shot earlier. Waiting too long.  He passed up some to make extra pass.. Most of the time to someone that was in poor position to make the shot ( Sampson on occasion), or simply someone who can't convert ( DOM)..

Angry loss for the fans... This was right there for us.. Especially after Nova loss..  We just blew it.  Cooley out-coached Lavin.

Their fans and supporters, out -supported us as well.. Frankly, as a STJ fan, it was embarrassing.   A couple of my buddies even remarked how lame our crowd was..   Awful showing all around.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:51:39 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 08:55:22 PM »
We just got manhandled underneath in the second half.. Embarrassingly so.  I was right behind the basket Prov was shooting at in the 2nd half.  Our guys effort on defensive boards was atrocious..  Sanchez, Gift, and Sampson.. Just pitiful..

Fortune...give him credit.   He hit everything during that stretch and that was it.

Harrison needed to be more aggressive with his own shot earlier. Waiting too long.  He passed up some to make extra pass.. Most of the time to someone that was in poor position to make the shot ( Sampson on occasion), or simply someone who can't convert ( DOM)..

Angry loss for the fans... This was right thier for us.. Especially after Nova loss..  We just blew it.  Cooley out-coached Lavin.

Their fans and supporters, out -supported us as well.. Frankly, as a STJ fan, it was embarrassing.   A couple of my buddies even remarked how lame our crowd was..   Awful showing all around.

Well since I was one of the fans unable to show up for today I can't get on our fan base.  But yeah was surprised that so many on twitter commented on the fact the Garden seemed to have a bigger PC contingent.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
Prov's student section was bigger than ours.  Nothing new.

But overall I thought we had a lot more fans in the building.  Problem is they had nothing to come alive to until we started the comeback. 

Providence fans really didn't get loud until the Fortune 3's started raining.  Then later in the game they were.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »

Angry loss for the fans... This was right there for us.. Especially after Nova loss..  We just blew it.  Cooley out-coached Lavin.

Redstormrising and myself sat with drunk Providence Douche behind us the whole game. Wanted to knock him the fu*k out.

Only game to me that was a worse loss was the loss against Duke with the Billy Singleton phantom T but even then I wasn't mad at the team or coach. Mainly the refs.  Today I'm mad at everyone. I'm mad at my f*cking mailman even. Not sure why but I am
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:56:52 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 09:09:06 PM »
Prov's student section was bigger than ours.  Nothing new.

But overall I thought we had a lot more fans in the building.  Problem is they had nothing to come alive to until we started the comeback. 

Providence fans really didn't get loud until the Fortune 3's started raining.  Then later in the game they were.

On TV it def sounded like pro Providence crowd

Wods317

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 09:13:49 PM »
If we played our very best and lost today I would be very upset and still feel mad but I could live with it. This loss is just too much. We slept walked through the majority of the game and then dominated for the last 5-6 minutes. If we had brought that intensity, focus and pressure the whole game we would have won. Providence has 5-6 very nice players but on our best day we crush them. Blame goes around to everyone including all the coaches and all the players not just Lavin. Lavin to be fair deserves a lot of blame as well though. NIT here we come, this isn't where we wanted to be but these are still important games because we will essentially have the same group of players back next year. To all the fans don't let this get you down, there are much more important things in life.

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 09:17:56 PM »
If we played our very best and lost today I would be very upset and still feel mad but I could live with it. This loss is just too much. We slept walked through the majority of the game and then dominated for the last 5-6 minutes. If we had brought that intensity, focus and pressure the whole game we would have won. Providence has 5-6 very nice players but on our best day we crush them. Blame goes around to everyone including all the coaches and all the players not just Lavin. Lavin to be fair deserves a lot of blame as well though. NIT here we come, this isn't where we wanted to be but these are still important games because we will essentially have the same group of players back next year. To all the fans don't let this get you down, there are much more important things in life.

Good points.  But in any sport when a team especially in a close game in a fairly even match up comes out after half time and gets outplayed in the first part to put themselves in a big hole I put that on the coach.  Whether it is Tom Coughlin with the Giants or Steve Lavin with SJU.  And so that early second half implosion goes on Lavin 100%.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:18:35 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 09:20:22 PM »
You think we have the whole core back next year?  Given the seemingly always-present black cloud that exists over our program, I think at least one kid jumps to the pros too early.  Would be a shame because I think this team can be really good next year.

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »
I'll never understand why we don't press more.  Providence has a very short rotation.  Why not run them into the ground and use our depth/athleticism advantage. 

Bad basketball IQ, poor outside shooting, and bad coaching ruined this season.   

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 09:30:18 PM »
This season has only proven to me that St. John's will not have any type of sustained success any time soon.

Going back to the big recruiting class of a few years ago, would you have ever thought that we'd (maybe) have 1 NCAA Tournament to show for it?  It just goes to show you what a poor coach Lavin is.

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 09:48:15 PM »
This season has only proven to me that St. John's will not have any type of sustained success any time soon.

Going back to the big recruiting class of a few years ago, would you have ever thought that we'd (maybe) have 1 NCAA Tournament to show for it?  It just goes to show you what a poor coach Lavin is.

I thought we would be an NCAA team by year 3 with this class.  And the reason that we (probobly)  are not one is that we lack that one player.  The one player that can knock dowm three's consistantly.  With all the talk of how our interior defense was it was the back to back 3's in the first half that cut our lead from 7-1 and Fourtune's back to back in the 2nd half that gave them a double diget lead. 

In this day and age in CB you need to be able to hit three's on a consistant basis.  And for what ever reason Lavin still hasn't found that player.  I really think if we had that tuype of shooter we would have 24 wins at least and would be an ncaa team.  Really think Lavin is going to have to find someone (JC-transfer) who can fill that roll.  As hard as this season ihas been we are really only a couple of jump shots away from those 24 wins.

Am I an optomist, probobly but @DePaul, Providence, Penn St and today

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 09:58:18 PM »

I thought we would be an NCAA team by year 3 with this class.  And the reason that we (probobly)  are not one is that we lack that one player.  The one player that can knock dowm three's consistantly.  With all the talk of how our interior defense was it was the back to back 3's in the first half that cut our lead from 7-1 and Fourtune's back to back in the 2nd half that gave them a double diget lead. 

In this day and age in CB you need to be able to hit three's on a consistant basis.  And for what ever reason Lavin still hasn't found that player.  I really think if we had that tuype of shooter we would have 24 wins at least and would be an ncaa team.  Really think Lavin is going to have to find someone (JC-transfer) who can fill that roll.  As hard as this season ihas been we are really only a couple of jump shots away from those 24 wins.

Am I an optomist, probobly but @DePaul, Providence, Penn St and today

I get it but I am more upset about the defensive breakdowns and poor defensive rebounding in some of these games that really cost them.  1 NCAA Tourney appearance in 4 years is not good enough by Lavin's own standards.  This was the year they needed to breakthrough.  They should be really good next year but again this should have been an NCAA springboard to next year.

boo3

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 10:01:35 PM »
Bottom line was that an 0-5 conference start was too much to overcome..   They should have beaten Penn State also.  Too little too late... sums it up.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:01:54 PM by boo3 »