The Plight of Dangelo Harrison...

• 70 replies

desco80

The Plight of Dangelo Harrison...
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:41:22 PM »
- comes to campus as a Frosh with a recruiting class that includes 3 other top 100 recruits, one of whom is a lottery pick in waiting, + 2 JUCO AA
- his Soph year SJU brings in 2 more top 100 players
- mid season they are joined by a top100 pg who transferred in and is eligible
- for his Junior year they add a top20 guard recruit, and another JUCO AA who is now eligible after sitting out a year.

He'll probably finish his career as the school's #3 all-time scorer.   None of his teammates suffer any injuries costing them a significant amount of time.

And yet, despite all this, he will have at most 1 NCAA appearance when he leaves.  There's something wrong with that picture.

For those of you who want to blame the players, let me ask you: what are the odds that Pointer, Obekpa, Sampson, Greene, GG, Branch, Garret, and Sanchez were ALL overrated ?
Don't get me wrong, players are somewhat responsible.   But the odds are long that all these guys were overrated by the scouting services.   That all these guys don't possess basic fundamentals. 

Is it possible that there's another reason why, when they play collectively, they don't look good?  Why they don't perform the little things well like execute an in-bounds? 

This is not all on Lavin, but when you look at the big picture something appears off. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:42:32 PM by desco80 »

goredmen

Re: The Plight of Dangelo Harrison...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:40:29 AM »
Like I said in the other thread: Dwayne Polee remains the only Lavin recruit to win a BET game. And even that was a flukey win over a far inferior Rutgers team

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:30:17 AM »
They really have some of the worst basketball IQ of any group I've ever seen. However with that said, they never would've all been top 100 national recruits if they were that basketball dumb through their entire prep careers. Maybe one or two of them but not 6 or 7. So part of the blame on them for never gelling through 5 long months.

However it's obvious to anyone who watches that they are being poorly coached and sometimes barely being coached at all through the game. They literally have no offensive gameplan (that's on Lavin). There's no screens, ZERO movement without the ball and they all look like lost on the offensive side of the ball. Just watch Lavin on the sidelines and then watch other coaches. It's very clear to the naked eye. He is not even a decent in game tactician. The only time I see him animated is when he's pleading with an official for a call and jumping up and down when a foul is or isn't called.

This team should have been way better this year. I'm so sick of hearing they're by far the most talented team in the Big East. That's total BS. The most talented teams are the ones who played well all year long (Nova and Creighton).

I used to shrug off the UCLA backers who told me his coaching leaves a lot to be desired. This year should've been a Sweet 16 type year with the talent we have if it was being coached to its potential. Next year could've potentially been a Final 4 year with this core group. However now I think next year they'll barely make the tourney again. What an underperfoming group with all that talent.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:19:25 AM »
It has nothing to do with Xs and Os.  The team is rarely motivated to go hard for 40 minutes.  Much of that has to be on the coach.

boo3

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:47 AM »
 Did you really just break down the " plight of D'angelo" without mentioning the fact he got himself suspended from the team during the stretch run last season?    Selective a bit?   Lol...

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »
Did you really just break down the " plight of D'angelo" without mentioning the fact he got himself suspended from the team during the stretch run last season?    Selective a bit?   Lol...

Boo, Harrison might be Ted Bundy behind the scenes for all we know. On the court, whose attitude has been worse Harrison or Pointer? Harrison or Obekpa?

boo3

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 10:27:15 AM »

Boo, Harrison might be Ted Bundy behind the scenes for all we know. On the court, whose attitude has been worse Harrison or Pointer? Harrison or Obekpa?

I'm not arguing that... I agree with you.. I'm just saying, if we are going to start a " woe is D'angelo" thread, lets not leave out a critical piece of the entire puzzle.  I love the kid.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:29:19 AM by boo3 »

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
He is a talented offensive player and he showed a lot of maturity this year.... 

That said...   he is a dumb basketball player and very very lazy defender...    trying to launch that 3 with 30 seconds left was a bad basketball play and honestly it was the move of a player with a low basketball IQ

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »

That said...   he is a dumb basketball player and very very lazy defender...    trying to launch that 3 with 30 seconds left was a bad basketball play and honestly it was the move of a player with a low basketball IQ

Although he should have been at the line with a chance to tie if we had competent referees.

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 10:43:36 AM »
Harrison is not really suited to be the number one option on a NCAA team. Due to the recruiting of guys who can't consistently hit shots Harrison is put in that position. Every team keys on him and that is a lot of pressure and he has done a very good job with not a lot of help. He is the verrrrrrrrry least of our problems!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:45:07 AM by we are sju »

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 10:46:09 AM »
Harrison is not really suited to be the number one option on a NCAA team. Due to the recruiting of guys who can't consistently hit shots Harrison is put in that position. Every team keys on him and that is a lot of pressure and he has done a very good job with not a lot of help. He is the verrrrrrrrry least of our problems!!!!!!

good point. .  if the team had won the 3 games curing the year they gave away - PSU, DePaul & 1st Prov game, yesterday would not have mattered, they would be in as a 8/9 seed already

Foad

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 10:46:40 AM »

Good grief. Harrison is the best 4 year player SJU has had since Malik Sealy. He forces shots because his nice person coach encourages him to.

You people are sad. That's right, "you people." Figure it out.

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
It has nothing to do with Xs and Os.  The team is rarely motivated to go hard for 40 minutes.  Much of that has to be on the coach.

Should have had Jarvis give the pre-game speech.
Or have fratto read from the Jarvis "skills for life".
We would have went hard for 40 min and on our way to the BE championship.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »

That game against Cuse he played really lazy defense
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 11:04:30 AM »

I'm not arguing that... I agree with you.. I'm just saying, if we are going to start a " woe is D'angelo" thread, lets not leave out a critical piece of the entire puzzle.  I love the kid.

Of course something happened there.
   But I've tried to be consistent on that issue...I don't blame either side, because I don't know what went on.   Some posters claim Lavin punished him for a trivial thing and have been blaming coach for over a year for "tanking" our NCAA chances.    Some think Harrison deserved everything he got, and needed the discipline.   I still don't know what happened.    So I'm gonna let that just lay as it is.

My point was just that, you can get a good view of the program if you look at the last 3 seasons through D'angelo's perspective.   he joined a team on the rise, with a lot of incoming talent.  And every season they've added important pieces.   He's played really well and will end up an all-time great, and yet he'll graduate with at most one tourny appearance.   That just strikes me as a bad sign.     That's all Boo.

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 12:51:55 PM »
Why did it take him getting sat down to realize he has to shoot...Man I hate volume shooters, but when the team doesn't score for like 10 minutes don't be passive.

Shooters Shoot.  He waits until 4 minutes left to realize that.  When I play we have one shooter and if he isn't shooting I get up in his grill and tell him your ass better shoot or your ass better get on the bench.   

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »
Seriously, what is the deal with the Harrison haters?
He got rid of the frohawk if that was part of the problem. People have speculated it is a race thing, but Hatten had cornrows and tats and is pretty well liked on this board.

Is it just a case of ridiculous expectations? Do people expect him to be Chris Mullin? He is not but he also does not have Wennington, Berry, Russell, Goodwin, Jackson and Glass. He also does not have Louie.

Is it just fans frustratingly take it out on the best player?

Very strange whatever the reason is
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:13:26 PM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 01:15:51 PM »
He got rid of the frohawk if that was part of the problem. People have speculated it is a race thing, but Hatten had cornrows and tats and is pretty well liked on this board.

Is it just a case of ridiculous expectations? Do people expect him to be Chris Mullin? He is not but he also does not have Wennington, Berry, Russell, Goodwin, Jackson and Glass. He also does not have Louie.

And his numbers are better than Hatten but it continues.

If only he went to Baylor like your summer prediction.  We would be battling DePaul for last in the BE.
Remember who broke the Slice news

dR3w

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »

I don't see the dislike either.  The guy has been a warrior.  If it wasn't for him, the last 3 years of StJ basketball would had been Norm-like.  He was half the offense his first year, ... the only guy who could score his 2nd year (look how the team did without him), and even this year when we have more offensive options, this guy is one of only two guys who can create his own shot, and the only guy I want to shoot FT's at the end of the game.

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »

And his numbers are better than Hatten but it continues.

If only he went to Baylor like your summer prediction.  We would be battling DePaul for last in the BE.

You know I was joking about that, but truthfully if I were him I would have transfered. Curious to see if any suspension comes from Obekpa thing. Even if story is not true, his face and body language was terrible yesterday and for a large part of season. Truthfully both Obekpa and Pointer's on court actions are waaaay worse than anything i have seen Harrison do.