Questions for Next Year

• 96 replies

MCNPA

Re: Questions for Next Year
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2014, 06:27:32 PM »
Sense of entitlement exacerbated by ridiculous excuses. One guys says it  is easier for people to come all the way from Nebraska! Amazing. Are you serious? Another cries the schedule is not convenient--as if the  games should be scheduled for his convenience! Duh, do you realize the games are scheduled around tv because the program needs the money to compete. The basketball program loses money as it is.  Now we have to clear dates with our fan base before we schedule games!!! The best excuse--I am too jaded and can't get excited. Fine, but you sure have time to type away on this board like all these other nattering nabobs of negativity. News flash. The team needs your support now, not after a few years of success! Decision time--are you a fan? If so, act the part. Don't just sit there and type. And for the guy who said most people have to work on Tuesdays---the game was on Thursday. Nice try. And try and tell me that was the only game you missed, and you were there for every weekend and weekday night game. Yeah, right. Sickening. And these are supposedly the core of our fan base.

I make as many as I can.  With 3 young kids, working nights and living out in Suffolk it isn't always easy.  I'm just saying that the biggest part of our attendance problem is that we aren't successful and haven't been. 

Everyone has personal reasons why they can't attend all, most, some, or even any, games.  Whether it is work or family obligations, or financial restrictions.  Those are all understandable.  If, however, one loves a team, I don't understand saying that you just won't go to games until they start winning.

I'm not saying I won't personally.  I'm saying that we won't get consistently good crowds being a non competitive team.  If one can't understand that, then the truth is being ignored.  This is another season that just took the heart out of me personally.  It's this way every season since I've been a kid.  Why fans should be packing the place for a team that never makes the NCAA is beyond me.  I love SJU tremendously, but reality is its a tough sell for lots of people.

paultzman

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »
Sense of entitlement exacerbated by ridiculous excuses. One guys says it  is easier for people to come all the way from Nebraska! Amazing. Are you serious? Another cries the schedule is not convenient--as if the  games should be scheduled for his convenience! Duh, do you realize the games are scheduled around tv because the program needs the money to compete. The basketball program loses money as it is.  Now we have to clear dates with our fan base before we schedule games!!! The best excuse--I am too jaded and can't get excited. Fine, but you sure have time to type away on this board like all these other nattering nabobs of negativity. News flash. The team needs your support now, not after a few years of success! Decision time--are you a fan? If so, act the part. Don't just sit there and type. And for the guy who said most people have to work on Tuesdays---the game was on Thursday. Nice try. And try and tell me that was the only game you missed, and you were there for every weekend and weekday night game. Yeah, right. Sickening. And these are supposedly the core of our fan base.

I make as many as I can.  With 3 young kids, working nights and living out in Suffolk it isn't always easy.  I'm just saying that the biggest part of our attendance problem is that we aren't successful and haven't been. 

Everyone has personal reasons why they can't attend all, most, some, or even any, games.  Whether it is work or family obligations, or financial restrictions.  Those are all understandable.  If, however, one loves a team, I don't understand saying that you just won't go to games until they start winning.

I'm not saying I won't personally.  I'm saying that we won't get consistently good crowds being a non competitive team.  If one can't understand that, then the truth is being ignored.  This is another season that just took the heart out of me personally.  It's this way every season since I've been a kid.  Why fans should be packing the place for a team that never makes the NCAA is beyond me.  I love SJU tremendously, but reality is its a tough sell for lots of people.

Agree, we are a B list attraction at this point. Only solution is winning.

boo3

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2014, 06:55:46 PM »
 I don't think we are that far away , to be quite honest.. As hardcore fans we take the worst case scenario point of view, with everything.

Few things go our way and next year can be a very good season.  I know no one want to hear it...it's much more fun to take doomsday approach.

desco80

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »
  As hardcore fans we take the worst case scenario point of view, with everything.

Is that really true though?    We frequently put a lot of stock in unproven guys... Sanchez, Marco, Hooper, now Christian Jones.    If a non-SJU fan came by here and heard us saying last summer that we thought Sanchez and Hooper were going to have big impacts (and let's face it - we thought they would), a non-St Johns fan would say "What the hell are you guys thinking?    What makes you think this 24yr old JUCO and Harvard benchwarmer are going to be contributors in the BIg East?"     

And I don't mean to knock those two players, I like them both.   I'm just saying that a lot of times our hardcore fans are irrationally positive
I know, that seems crazy - but to some degree it's true.   

boo3

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »
 Even before the BE tournament.. If you read this message board, the majority of posts would be negative or at least critical.  It's what fans do.

Ever read a game thread? Even games we win... I'm guilty as much as the next guy.  Fan of a particular team are always harder on their team than outsiders, at least that's always been my observations... STJ more so than most, I must say.

Johnny23

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2014, 07:48:03 PM »
The concern with next year is how are these players going to be any better when they're playing in the same exact system as this year? What changes will they make? If they just roll the ball out like they did this year and no change in their offensive movement, system, etc. I see more of the same frustrating results.

desco80

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
Even before the BE tournament.. If you read this message board, the majority of posts would be negative or at least critical.  It's what fans do.

Ever read a game thread? Even games we win... I'm guilty as much as the next guy.  Fan of a particular team are always harder on their team than outsiders, at least that's always been my observations... STJ more so than most, I must say.

I think it's true to the extent that when things are bad - hardcore fans of that team are much harder on the team than outsiders.    But when things are going well, those hardcore fans are over the top positive.    Don't you remember we all pretty much took it as fact that this team was capable of beating anyone in the country on a given day?   That was probably never true - but all of us here believed it.

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
Im excited to watch Christian Jones. Im a big fan of his. He actually knows how to play basketball a little bit. Hopefully the red shirt year has helped him become a better overall player.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2014, 11:24:46 PM »
The sense of entitlement on this board is shameful. Where were the fans when we played Providence? They had more fans there than we did.  Think about how bad that reflects on this fan base. There were more Creighton fans at our game  than SJU did! Some on this board are vociferous in attacking out players and staff. But they don't care enough to even see the game in person. If you are not there to cheer, why do you have the right to boo? If you care, comes out to support the team. Instead, posters  bitch about ticket prices. Why aren't t tickets sold for ten dollars they ask? When was the last time ten dollars paid for anything but a short cab ride? Or posters  say ,I will go when the team wins. Cool, do that, but don't call yourself a fan. If you want a big time program, it costs money, and if this fan base does not want to spend any, you don't deserve a big time program. It is as simple as that. There are even some on this board who say we should turn down the NIT. How silly and shortsighted can one be? The NIT pays the school money. The program needs money to compete. We should just leave those dollars on the table? It is fine to have an opinion. You can even voice it. But is it too much to ask that before you post, you spend two minutes thinking about the implications of what you are saying. It is just as well the season is almost over because some on this board are making it difficult to visit.

Most people have jobs and have work obligations at 2 PM on a Tuesday.  It's easy to take 3 days off and travel to New York when you're a Creighton fan living in the middle of nowhere knowing that even if Creighton loses you are still on vacation. Hard for a native New Yorker who can see the team play whenever to take a day off work on short notice.

So its easier to take a vacation for a basketball tournament then to take a half day off of work?

When you live in Nebraska and your team is having the best best season ever...a trip to one of the best cities in the world is a no-brainer if you have money.  They are living their SJU 1985...they have their Mullin now.

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2014, 11:05:50 PM »
Im excited to watch Christian Jones. Im a big fan of his. He actually knows how to play basketball a little bit. Hopefully the red shirt year has helped him become a better overall player.
The red shirt year did wonders for GG. I like Gift but 2 years ago he could hit from outside, went for 22 and 12 in a game and quiet frankly I was hoping for more improvement from such an intelligent young man who has now been with the program for 3 years. He has just not developed good basketball instincts, let's hope for better results with CJ.

« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2014, 06:53:43 AM »
The red shirt year did wonders for GG. I like Gift but 2 years ago he could hit from outside, went for 22 and 12 in a game and quiet frankly I was hoping for more improvement from such an intelligent young man who has now been with the program for 3 years. He has just not developed good basketball instincts, let's hope for better results with CJ.

I think CJ is actually a bball player though. Gift is just a physical specimen who was pushed to play because of his size and strength. Im probably Jones biggest fan though.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:54:18 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »

desco80

« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »

I think CJ is actually a bball player though. Gift is just a physical specimen who was pushed to play because of his size and strength. Im probably Jones biggest fan though.

I'm not down on Jones, I just don't remember enough of him to really form an opinion.   I can recall one or two baseline jumpers he made - from about Jakarr's range - but that's it. 
What do you like about him Mase?

« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »
The concern with next year is how are these players going to be any better when they're playing in the same exact system as this year? What changes will they make? If they just roll the ball out like they did this year and no change in their offensive movement, system, etc. I see more of the same frustrating results.

these were the exact same questions coming into this year.   and we got zero answers.

« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »
Not worried about next year. Now that we got Phil Jax in the Garden massaging these egos we shouldn't have any problems. 

uwsfan

« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »

these were the exact same questions coming into this year.   and we got zero answers.

We got answers. Just not the ones we were wanting to see.

« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »

I'm not down on Jones, I just don't remember enough of him to really form an opinion.   I can recall one or two baseline jumpers he made - from about Jakarr's range - but that's it. 

His jumper like you mentioned, the way he uses his body on offense to gain position which is something he needs translate to the defensive and rebounding side of it. I also like him as a passer and a screener. A guy his size with his athleticism allows for him to guard bigger slower big men such as Teague and Gardner while having an advantage on the offensive end.

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »

His jumper like you mentioned, the way he uses his body on offense to gain position which is something he needs translate to the defensive and rebounding side of it. I also like him as a passer and a screener. A guy his size with his athleticism allows for him to guard bigger slower big men such as Teague and Gardner while having an advantage on the offensive end.

I think you and I have been seeing the same things. My biggest complaint about him was that he wasn't assertive enough, he looked to have nice touch, nice footwork (from what little I saw) and is obviously a big, athletic dude, just want to see him use it.