Fans?

• 19 replies
Fans?
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:10:43 PM »
Take the game performance out...

I have to say that the turn out for the game was the thing was so depressing. I think they said the attendance was 1100.  Worse than the Red-White game...Also, people don't yell at the kids.  Someone yelled at Harrison in the beginning and he looked at Greene and shook his head. 

Empty Arena and Yelling at Kids.  Why would you want to come here??? 

Take it out on the coach.  He is the one getting paid...

Re: Fans?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
Our fan support sucks

dandy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:42:07 PM »
Our fan support sucks
This program sucks.

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »

dandy

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
Our fan support sucks
This program sucks.

Then switch teams...
Seriously considering walking away after this.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
Take the game performance out...

I have to say that the turn out for the game was the thing was so depressing. I think they said the attendance was 1100.  Worse than the Red-White game...Also, people don't yell at the kids.  Someone yelled at Harrison in the beginning and he looked at Greene and shook his head. 

Empty Arena and Yelling at Kids.  Why would you want to come here??? 

Take it out on the coach.  He is the one getting paid...

Our fans mindset was terrible going into the game.  But I knew nobody would show up.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 03:44:19 PM »
I agree with you that our fan support sucks.  There's no getting around it, the attendance figures this year were pitiful.

First and foremost, the school is not doing enough to put fans in the seats.  That has been discussed at length over the course of this season and I don't think attendance will change until the university starts making it a low cost, fan friendly atmosphere for everybody.

Second, this year was extremely frustrating for everybody involved.  From the beginning of the season to the end, I think a lot of us on this board felt that this was a Jekyll and Hyde team.  Not due to skill, but due to effort.  I can understand a team going cold, but when you see stretches game after game where your team is playing careless and stupid basketball, it turns you off as a fan.  Seeing a team routinely go down by double digits and then all of a sudden make a late run is just bad basketball.  Until proven otherwise, this team is all talk.  I don't see them doing the little things, I don't see them diving for loose balls, I don't see them running 24/7.  I see a team that relies on their talent alone and no hard work.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »
I agree with you that our fan support sucks.  There's no getting around it, the attendance figures this year were pitiful.

First and foremost, the school is not doing enough to put fans in the seats.  That has been discussed at length over the course of this season and I don't think attendance will change until the university starts making it a low cost, fan friendly atmosphere for everybody.

Second, this year was extremely frustrating for everybody involved.  From the beginning of the season to the end, I think a lot of us on this board felt that this was a Jekyll and Hyde team.  Not due to skill, but due to effort.  I can understand a team going cold, but when you see stretches game after game where your team is playing careless and stupid basketball, it turns you off as a fan.  Seeing a team routinely go down by double digits and then all of a sudden make a late run is just bad basketball.  Until proven otherwise, this team is all talk.  I don't see them doing the little things, I don't see them diving for loose balls, I don't see them running 24/7.  I see a team that relies on their talent alone and no hard work.

This is a great post.

You can't blame drivers because they didn't buy Edsels.  The car was a piece of junk.  Why blame the fans for not buying an overpriced, mediocre product.  I'm sorry Harrison had to hear it from a fan.  He may be the only player on the team who isn't soft.  The team needs tough NYC players and a one and done type every year.  You win with stars and we don't have any.
Fans in the big apple pay  to see stars.  Don't blame us if there aren't any.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 03:52:14 PM »
Hey Question?  Is it spring break or something?  Seemed the student section was a little bare.  Unlike the rest of the place which was hopping!

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »
Hey Question?  Is it spring break or something?  Seemed the student section was a little bare.  Unlike the rest of the place which was hopping!

Spring break was a week or two ago.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
there goes that excuse...

Tha Kid

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 04:05:21 PM »
Make the games FREE for all students, more of them will come.  Add $5 to every student's tuition if you really care about the money, and boom, you've paid for the student's tickets.  I know the $100-150 per seat they are required to pay for the year is minimal, but why not just make it free.  Also organizes buses TO and FROM MSG for games.  Have a late night bus going back from MSG so kids can stay in and have a good time after the game.  If they have guaranteed transportation back from not just the game but a couple hours of fun after, I think it would make a huge difference.

Maybe they already do this stuff, but if not, this seems like a relatively easy plan to get students to games...
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 04:07:50 PM »
In addition, create an MSG only package for alumni so those who live in the city and/or only want MSG games can just do that!  Also, howabout discounting the games at Carnesecca Arena (even if not all the games, most of them!)

These kinds of things would go a long way in my book.

Unless they are going to build a convenient subway stop near St. John's campus, these kinds of things are necessary IMO.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 04:14:22 PM »
Better looking cheer leaders and serve alcohol

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »
The only positive I took out of yesterday was the fact I stayed home watched the game on tv and spent no money. I am a great fan I go to games when ever I can. Think most of us on here are the same. Tickets are way to expensive.  Going to games on Campus sucks, half the seats with backs is just stupid. Still I would have happily went to the second round . Was not going to rush and waste money vs Robert Morris .
Harrison is not a kid. This is not a middle school team . They absolutely deserved to be booed yesterday. They are adults getting compensation. Don't know what was said . Hope it didn't get nasty.

dR3w

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 04:45:21 PM »
You can go back every year this board has been in existence and read this same thread.  The St John's fans have been fickle (To be nice), for 30 years.  There have been a few blips in the radar, but even when the team has been pretty good, the fan base has shown mediocre attention to the team.  People think winning will cure this ... i'm not so sure.  I think kids that want to play at StJ have to accept the fact they won't be playing to sold out MSG ... well at least not sold out with St John's fans.   I can see why people talk about this, and want it to change, but 30 years of talk hasn't changed a thing.

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
There is an MSG only ticket plan--has been for years. Givingaway tickets may get you some fans in seats but who exactly is going to pay the costs of the program. It already operates at a loss.

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
Dj"s team wasnt great. They were good. Plenty of fans went that year. Put a good team out there and the fans will come. Raise prices and lose games and they won't. Fans have nothing to be sorry about for missing yesterdays game.

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 11:21:46 PM »
You can go back every year this board has been in existence and read this same thread.  The St John's fans have been fickle (To be nice), for 30 years.  There have been a few blips in the radar, but even when the team has been pretty good, the fan base has shown mediocre attention to the team.  People think winning will cure this ... i'm not so sure.  I think kids that want to play at StJ have to accept the fact they won't be playing to sold out MSG ... well at least not sold out with St John's fans.   I can see why people talk about this, and want it to change, but 30 years of talk hasn't changed a thing.
Sorry but this 30 year thing is flat out wrong. as late as the middle of Jarvis' tenure we had 16.5 at MSG, as the program went steadily downhill so did the attendance. Short small spike for Lav's first year when we started winning some big games and back down hill since.