Opinions - Possible Future Candidates for HC?

• 94 replies
Re: Opinions - Possible Future Candidates for HC?
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 08:42:45 PM »
I'd say give Lavin one more year and if it's another NIT or no postseason then he's out. Let him coach the seniors from his first recruiting class. But if he resigns what happens happens, cool.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:44:46 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

Comet

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
Will Brown
Will Brown from Miller Place NY

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2014, 10:19:44 PM »
Where are all of these Lavin rumors coming from?  Just a couple of weeks ago, he was talking about how they were closing in on a contract extension.

I get the fact that the season ended very badly, but I doubt the administration will do anything based on 2 poor games.

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »
Where are all of these Lavin rumors coming from?  Just a couple of weeks ago, he was talking about how they were closing in on a contract extension.

I get the fact that the season ended very badly, but I doubt the administration will do anything based on 2 poor games.

There's one Lavin rumor and it comes from Baldi. So take it for what it's worth, which is not much.

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2014, 10:33:37 PM »

Lavin talked about an extension. No one else

boo3

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2014, 10:58:16 PM »

Well,  and Monasch.... but who's counting

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2014, 11:05:13 PM »

Well,  and Monasch.... but who's counting

Of course. After Lavin went to the media. What was Monasch going to say, that the coach is telling stories? You guys need to start using your noggins.

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2014, 11:08:41 PM »
I would take the Dayton coach or St. Louis coach but at this point, that would be a step down for those coaches.  Thanks Steve.

desco80

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2014, 11:34:48 PM »
What do we have to do to get Masiello in here?

Start a collection?   Picket the administration?   I'm ready

paultzman

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2014, 11:35:50 PM »

Change your Avi! Lol
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:36:23 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2014, 11:38:34 PM »

Hypothetical question here. If the bubble was weaker this year and we were an 11/12 seed, first round exit, would you still be calling for Lavin to be fired?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:39:00 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2014, 12:08:13 AM »

Watching them play Louisville right now, dude can coach. This is like the 3rd time i've seen Manhattan and have been impressed every time. Gonna be a great pick up for what ever high major gets him

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2014, 12:34:01 AM »

Hypothetical question here. If the bubble was weaker this year and we were an 11/12 seed, first round exit, would you still be calling for Lavin to be fired?

The peanut gallery would have been disappointed but no Lavin's job would not be in question (except for a few) and in general everyone would be talking about the run next year. But they didn't make the tournament and the team shat the bed in the NIT, the anger/frustration is justified in my opinion. To be fair that goes with anybody at any job...you hit your numbers you are good if you don't, people around you start to grumble.
Cougar O' Malley

desco80

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2014, 06:57:31 AM »

Not as adamantly 212.  But mostly out of courtesy to all of you.   I would still think he should be replaced, I just wouldn't harp on it bc if we made the tourny he would certainly be getting an extension whether I like it or not.

But on  a side note, I don't think the bubble was particularly strong. 

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2014, 07:36:23 AM »

Watching them play Louisville right now, dude can coach. This is like the 3rd time i've seen Manhattan and have been impressed every time. Gonna be a great pick up for what ever high major gets him

Unfortunately, I don't even think the administration will give Massiello a chance. I believe he will end up at BC

boo3

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
BC is where coaches go to die... Terrible job.. Masiello would be a fool to go there.. Basketball is 3rd behind football and hockey at BC.  Worse than StJ

uwsfan

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2014, 10:45:17 AM »
SJU is a much better job than BC for basketball. If offered both, he would choose St. Johns.

He has the  X & Os accumen to compete with and beat BE coaches. The only question mark is his recruiting. Can he recruit at an elite level? can he recruit nationally? Can he get multiple 4-5 star guys?

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
SJU is a much better job than BC for basketball. If offered both, he would choose St. Johns.

He has the  X & Os accumen to compete with and beat BE coaches. The only question mark is his recruiting. Can he recruit at an elite level? can he recruit nationally? Can he get multiple 4-5 star guys?

That is the million dollar question. I don't think anyone will say Lavin is a great X & O guy but IMO I really can't see a great coach (X&O plus recruiter) coming here.

desco80

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »

That is the million dollar question. I don't think anyone will say Lavin is a great X & O guy but IMO I really can't see a great coach (X&O plus recruiter) coming here.

How many guys are proven to be both good coaches and good recruiters?   10?    15?   
Their names are Pitino, Self, Izzo etc.     And those guys aren't coming here.

You have to catch a coach on the upswing, who you evaluate and see has what it takes.  You need an eye for talent.
If it's obvious to the world that the guy is a great coach and recruiter - than it's too late.   He's not coming here.   
You need to land Jay Wright before he gets that million dollar contract from Nova. 

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2014, 11:27:06 AM »
Archie Miller, Mitch Henderson, Michael White, Andy Toole, Steve Prohm just to name a few and all young. These guys all have a system which would instantly qualify them as an upgrade over Lavin. They've all turned around dormant programs and would do much more with the talent on this team than Lavin. The SJU admin has no idea what they're doing and they probably won't look at any of these young up and coming coaching stars.

How about Glen Miller, Skitch Henderson and Xavier Cugat...all great orchestrators with the same ability to recruit as Masiello?