Opinions - Possible Future Candidates for HC?

• 94 replies
Re: Opinions - Possible Future Candidates for HC?
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »
SJU is a much better job than BC for basketball. If offered both, he would choose St. Johns.

He has the  X & Os accumen to compete with and beat BE coaches. The only question mark is his recruiting. Can he recruit at an elite level? can he recruit nationally? Can he get multiple 4-5 star guys?

BC is in the ACC...we're in the Big Least.  Which is the better job, again?

boo3

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2014, 11:36:44 AM »
SJU is a much better job than BC for basketball. If offered both, he would choose St. Johns.

He has the  X & Os accumen to compete with and beat BE coaches. The only question mark is his recruiting. Can he recruit at an elite level? can he recruit nationally? Can he get multiple 4-5 star guys?

BC is in the ACC...we're in the Big Least.  Which is the better job, again?

STJ... How's the ACC been to BC, V-tech, Wake, G-tech bball programs? 

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2014, 11:44:38 AM »
The Big East has used us as a whipping boy since before Jarvis left.

desco80

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »
Archie Miller, Mitch Henderson, Michael White, Andy Toole, Steve Prohm just to name a few and all young. These guys all have a system which would instantly qualify them as an upgrade over Lavin. They've all turned around dormant programs and would do much more with the talent on this team than Lavin. The SJU admin has no idea what they're doing and they probably won't look at any of these young up and coming coaching stars.

How about Glen Miller, Skitch Henderson and Xavier Cugat...all great orchestrators with the same ability to recruit as Masiello?

Right, because one won a national championship as a player, recruited well as an assistant, and has now recruited well on the mid-major level,  and the others are dead big band conductors.

Newsie, nobody is saying he's proven to do it at this level.   But he's got the track record to suggest he could/would be successful.     
Admittedly, I would be a lot more comfortable if we had an AD who had an eye for talent. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:47:12 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 11:47:29 AM »

That is the million dollar question. I don't think anyone will say Lavin is a great X & O guy but IMO I really can't see a great coach (X&O plus recruiter) coming here.

How many guys are proven to be both good coaches and good recruiters?   10?    15?   
Their names are Pitino, Self, Izzo etc.     And those guys aren't coming here.

You have to catch a coach on the upswing, who you evaluate and see has what it takes.  You need an eye for talent.
If it's obvious to the world that the guy is a great coach and recruiter - than it's too late.   He's not coming here.   
You need to land Jay Wright before he gets that million dollar contract from Nova.

I agree.

So are you willing to keep trying every 3-4 years until we get lucky and find a keeper?

We know what we have with Lavin. Crappy coach, very good recruiter.

It is easier to get a new coach in here and hope for the best or fix the issue and somehow find an X&O coach to help in that area.

Not sure if you ever caught the ESPN show that followed the Kentucky team. They showed a few practices and Cal wasn't even running it. He had a D-2 or 3 coach that ran the motion offense run his practice.

boo3

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2014, 11:50:27 AM »
 Is TCU a better basketball job than STJ because they are in the Big 12?

Ask Jim Christian, a damn good coach, that could win squat there for 4 years until he left for Ohio U.

A job with a bad team in a big conference isn't more desirable, necessarily, than a top 3-4 job in New Big East.

boo3

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »
 Unless, of course, something like this were to happen....

Former UConn coach Jim Calhoun has significant interest in vacant Boston College opening, multiple sources tell @GoodmanESPN.

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2014, 12:34:25 PM »

Former UConn coach Jim Calhoun has significant interest in vacant Boston College opening, multiple sources tell @GoodmanESPN.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 
As @GoodmanESPN reports, Jim Calhoun is interested in the Boston College job. The interest isn't mutual, sources tell Yahoo Sports.

desco80

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2014, 12:42:42 PM »

Wow, that's interesting.   Funny that BC is not feeling it, but interesting nonetheless. 

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »
We should hire that guy at USC who was at FL - GC.  His wife is super hot!  He can hire Kate Upton as a special assistant and bring in the Duke girl from the NY Post as head recruiter...

boo3

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2014, 01:01:47 PM »
72 years old, health concerns, NCAA issues.   Few reasons why BC would balk

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »
Is TCU a better basketball job than STJ because they are in the Big 12?

Ask Jim Christian, a damn good coach, that could win squat there for 4 years until he left for Ohio U.

A job with a bad team in a big conference isn't more desirable, necessarily, than a top 3-4 job in New Big East.

It's the coach who determines whether a team is a good one or a bad one.  A coach in a better conference should be more successful than a coach in a crap conference because players want to be in the better conference.

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2014, 03:12:52 PM »
Admin went with an up and coming assistant.  People bitched.  Then they went with an established coach with a proven track record and people bitch. 

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »
Amaker is a two time loser in a big conference - once in the Big 10 once in the Big East.  Would we really want to go there?

I think the logical choice would be Massielo - great job in a short time at Manhattan plus we all know that no self respecting coach who is a success at any kind of high level college basketball program is leaving to come to SJU which has turned into coaching suicide.  We are nothing more than a mickey mouse program more so now than ever with the old Big East splitting and a very bad "new" Big East.  We have been to one NCAA Tournament in 12 years and we have won one NCAA Tournament game since 1999.  Anyone who talks about our "proud tradition" also should mention the school's inability to hire a coach who can have this team competing at a respectable level, because since Louie retired, we are more of a laughing stock than a program with a "proud tradition".

Stevie Wonder can see that we have another impending disaster at SJU.  If Lavin leaves, I wouldn't turn a coaching search into another embarrassing fiasco for the university when we have a guy 20 miles away who has earned a shot to lead SJU.

Foad

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »
Stevie Wonder can see that we have another impending disaster at SJU.  If Lavin leaves, I wouldn't turn a coaching search into another embarrassing fiasco for the university when we have a guy 20 miles away who has earned a shot to lead SJU.

Yes but would Cluess want to leave Iona?

« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2014, 04:41:15 PM »

Yes but would Cluess want to leave Iona?

i missed you sweatheart  :-*

Tha Kid

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2014, 04:45:22 PM »
Amaker is a two time loser in a big conference - once in the Big 10 once in the Big East.  Would we really want to go there?

I think the logical choice would be Massielo - great job in a short time at Manhattan plus we all know that no self respecting coach who is a success at any kind of high level college basketball program is leaving to come to SJU which has turned into coaching suicide.  We are nothing more than a mickey mouse program more so now than ever with the old Big East splitting and a very bad "new" Big East.  We have been to one NCAA Tournament in 12 years and we have won one NCAA Tournament game since 1999.  Anyone who talks about our "proud tradition" also should mention the school's inability to hire a coach who can have this team competing at a respectable level, because since Louie retired, we are more of a laughing stock than a program with a "proud tradition".

Is this your best Bruce Pearl impersonation?

"I'm baaaaaaaack"

I'm down with Masiello.  But Amaker is legit.  If you can get Harvard to 3 straight NCAA appearances and 2 consecutive years with a win, you are an excellent coach.  He was at Michigan at a really tough time with the scandal hangover.  I'd be cool with him as the next Duke coach to succeed Coach K (assuming they required a Dukie to be next coach, otherwise Jay Wright or Shaka Smart would be my choice...Brad Stevens would previously have been my choice but not happening now).  He'd be great at SJU, and he'd probably turn us down.
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »
i missed you sweatheart

Good to see your spelling has improved in the interim.

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »
Admin went with an up and coming assistant.  People bitched.  Then they went with an established coach with a proven track record and people bitch.

Last 4 hires they have tried both twice:

"Up & Coming":
Fran Fraschilla
Norm Roberts

Established:
Mike Jarvis
Steve Lavin

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2014, 05:46:29 PM »
This is the second time in 5yrs that Duke suffered time a humiliating loss to a double digit team. Clearly coach K is under performing, does anyone think he will be available for an interview? :-)
Cougar O' Malley