Should we be worried?

• 25 replies

Tiger

Should we be worried?
« on: March 26, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »
I'm feeling a certain emptiness given the lack of big men on the 2014-15 roster.

Are these guys still available (all names are listed in the 2014 recruit listing)?  it is entirely possible all or some have committed but the recruit listing was not updated.  Forgive my laziness, I did no research.  Is there interest in any of these guys?  Is it too late to get involved with them?  (My guess is: yes).
  Obi Romeo
  Mike Nzei
  Trey Lyles
  Josh Cunningham
  Ray Kasongo
  Samson Usilo
  Jared Reuter (did he reclassify?)

Here is a listing of transfers http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2014.  Are any of them possibilities?  We have playing time available.

I looked around for a listing of mystery recruits, but found none.

Should we be worried?

Re: Should we be worried?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 01:35:57 PM »
No

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »
I'm staying calm until Delarosa's decision.

Tiger

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:43:22 PM »
Verbal Commits reports their status as follows:

Obi Romeo -St. Josephs
  Mike Nzei - Uncommitted
  Trey Lyles - Kentucky
  Josh Cunningham Uncommitted
  Ray Kasongo - Oregon
  Samson Usilo - Manhatten
  Jared Reuter (no info)

I'm worried.

Foad

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
Should we be worried?

Resignation is a more appropriate response. Discover what is inevitable and submit to it.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »
I'm worried.

If this is at the top of your list of things to be worried about, then consider yourself very, very lucky.

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »
Should we be worried?

Resignation is a more appropriate response. Discover what is inevitable and submit to it.

Advice to Lavin or Tiger?
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:55:13 PM »
Should we be worried?

Advice to Lavin or Tiger?

Lavin is sitting pretty. The only advice he needs is from an accountant.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »
I'm worried.

If this is at the top of your list of things to be worried about, then consider yourself very, very lucky.

True that. You know who should be worried? Coach Lavin. This is his job. We go, we drink, and we applaud, when necessary.

desco80

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
I'm worried.

True that. You know who should be worried? Coach Lavin. This is his job. We go, we drink, and we applaud, when necessary.

next year there will be a lot more drinking and a lot less applauding.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »
I'm worried.

next year there will be a lot more drinking and a lot less applauding.

There wasn't much applauding this year...
Follow me @ek_underdog

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
As a fan I am worried...rumors of players transferring, our best forward is going to the NBA and no reinforcements at the moment coming in 2014.  We are going to have 9 scholarships over the next 2 seasons which for a new coach coming in would be great but for Lavin in year 4 of his contract is a bit of a concern.  He hasn't done a great job managing the roster and balancing out his roster.  Some departures were to the NBA and some were transfers but c'mon it is his job and the job of the other coaches to have that pulse and to recruit legit D-I mid/high major players out of HS or JUCO that will be part of the team.  I'm reserving my judgement until I see what Lavin and Co. will do for the 2014 class but as a fan I'm upset because not being a NCAA tournament team sucks...not to mention being embarrassed in the NIT....thank goodness I have the Knicks to distract me...I mean the Mets...I mean of forget it...
Follow me @ek_underdog

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
Mass exodus. This is troubling

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 04:55:12 PM »

almost like they are all running from Mike Rice.....

except with the new Obekpa is back in the fold, I wouldn't call it a mass exodus yet....but has the potential to be.

Trone

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »

It's not as bad as it seems, happening at the same time so seems like a lot but in reality we lose Jakarr which hurts but if somehow does get drafted then that is great for the program. Hooper is no loss, shouldnt be hard to find someone a lot better than him to take his scholly and the obekpa stuff was just rumor.  At the end of the day we lose one strong player but also have the ability to upgrade hoopers roster spot.  Upgrading gift, marco, hooper and sanchez shouldnt be all that difficult even this late in the game

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 05:03:29 PM »
It's worse than it seems. Are you kidding me or what?

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »
It's worse than it seems. Are you kidding me or what?
Yes.  what concerns me is that there aren't the right recruiting pieces out there that the staff can sign that fit the evaporating lineup.  It would be nice to get some solid players for '14 to set up '15, but it looks like 2014-15 season could be another up and down season, or just down...

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »
Ray Charles can see that the program is going down the toilet .
Lavin isnt working, and why should he?  There is no president in place at sju to decide to fire him - so what does he really have to worry about?
He comes and goes as he pleases and makes almost 2 million a year while he's at it.  Its the best gig in America.  Only at St. John's....
As foad said I am more resigned to the fact that the ball has already began rolling on another disaster at St. John's and the basketball team.

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »
Open tryouts this fall??

Might spark me to move back to NY and pursue the masters

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 10:17:51 PM »
Lavin was quoted as saying something to the effect that he doesn't recruit numbers only someone who is a good fit. Well Stevie boy a 6'8 PF would be a good fit right about now! How about it?