Phil Greene

• 84 replies

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: Phil Greene
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »
I don't think you're giving these kids enough credit. They grew up in the world of social media and all the good/bad things that come with it (I would argue they know more about this stuff then most of the posters on JJ). I am pretty sure they can handle the gripes/whines of a fan board, if they ever read one...i will dare say 99% of the people on this board want Greene to be successful on and off the court. Being frustrated and be angry at the coach and team has been going on forever and grumbling on this board is probably cleaner (because of standards)then fans grumbling to their friends.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
@CV_26 15h
@JayOn_1 Phil Greene is out isn't he ? Can't wait for some more bad news on Monday.

@JayOn_1 4h
ITs not a done deal yet but yea he's definitely leaning towards transferring @CV_26

sju89tr

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
@CV_26 15h
@JayOn_1 Phil Greene is out isn't he ? Can't wait for some more bad news on Monday.

@JayOn_1 4h
ITs not a done deal yet but yea he's definitely leaning towards transferring @CV_26

The kid who has been given playing time on a silver platter wants to leave, What's up with that?   

Poison

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 02:37:06 PM »
I wish him all the best at whatever mid major he chooses to attend. But this is very bad for Lavin if true.

bk8664

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
@CV_26 15h

@JayOn_1 4h

The kid who has been given playing time on a silver platter wants to leave, What's up with that?   

Wowsers... did the disappointment of this season leave that bad a a taste in the players' mouths?? Really strange.  They were a free throws away from an NCAA tournament birth

This is really surprising if true.

paultzman

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
Let's wait and see if Phil returns, That said, if he leaves, with another player recently departing & one unwisely leaving for pros, should we not be concerned about program stability? If Obekpa packs it in, I would expect the AD to evaluate the program.  Hopefully  these are coincidences or routine outcomes & the "family culture" under SL we have praised is authentic.

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »
Why would he stay?

bk8664

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »
Why would he stay?

Because he's on national TV all the time and he gets a boat-load of playing time.

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2014, 03:34:32 PM »
He's the same player he was 3 years ago.

MCNPA

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »
Let's wait and see if Phil returns, That said, if he leaves, with another player recently departing & one unwisely leaving for pros, should we not be concerned about program stability? If Obekpa packs it in, I would expect the AD to evaluate the program.  Hopefully  these are coincidences or routine outcomes & the "family culture" under SL we have praised is authentic.

Yeah but crazy thing is, if we are now losing Phil, we are down to half a roster of scholarship players with nobody coming in.  Obekpa or no Obekpa, this is an extremely bad scenario.  I don't see how Lavin is gonna fix this.  No recruits out there left to fix it.

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »
Where is Lavin?

cjfish

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2014, 03:43:27 PM »
PG going will not be an issue, have 2 great and one competent guard and, if needed, Dom and Balamou can play some guard.  Might be a positive in that Lavin will be forced to go with a steady guard rotation.  Remember, given who is coming back, Jordan and Dlo should play 35 or more next year

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2014, 03:47:09 PM »
A lot of enabling going on here

paultzman

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »
PG going will not be an issue, have 2 great and one competent guard and, if needed, Dom and Balamou can play some guard.  Might be a positive in that Lavin will be forced to go with a steady guard rotation.  Remember, given who is coming back, Jordan and Dlo should play 35 or more next year

Agree Phil's loss not a major deal. However, stay tuned this week to see if something else pops.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:48:50 PM by paultzman »

bk8664

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2014, 03:48:42 PM »

I disagree to a point - When he was originally recruited he couldn't have wildly expected to get all the playing time he's getting now.  He's also a better jump shooter.  Other stuff, I agree, hasn't improved.   But he's in a good spot here.  There is no reason for him to transfer.   He's trusted by the coach (much to the chagrin to many on this board), and he gets the green light while he gets tons of playing time.   

What complaint can he possibly have? 

Improvement is just as much up to the player, if not more so, than on the coach. 

He shouldn't transfer, it'd be idiotic of him (other than if he had true family matters to be near back home for) . 

He should stay here, finish his degree, enjoy NYC and hoist up up lots of ill-advised threes and dribble around a lot.   

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:11:12 PM by bk8664 »

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »
His shooting and assist/turnover ratio has improved each year. He's also stronger. Did you expect him to be an all conference player?

I get your point that Lavin doesn't develop guys like he should but you don't have to beat it to death in every thread.

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »
I'll take an educated guess here. He probably wants to play in the NCAA tourney. From the looks if it, that's not happening here anytime soon. Big East, with any luck,  will get 2 teams in next year. St Johns not being 1 of them

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2014, 04:06:32 PM »
I'll take an educated guess here. He probably wants to play in the NCAA tourney. From the looks if it, that's not happening here anytime soon. Big East, with any luck,  will get 2 teams in next year. St Johns not being 1 of them

He will not get any playing time on a tournament team unless it's here.

bk8664

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2014, 04:10:17 PM »

Why is that an educated guess? It's just a guess.
Maybe it has nothing to do with the NCAA tournament. If he transfers it could be a multitude of reasons.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:10:35 PM by bk8664 »

Foad

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »

Alternate theory: he was told that there's a commit in the offing and that his playing time will be further curtailed.  See also Jackson, Cedric; Gray Dexter.