Phil Greene

• 84 replies
Re: Phil Greene
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »
Another alternate theory:   none of it is true and he has no desire to transfer.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:33:20 PM by stjohns86 »

desco80

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »
Another alternate theory:   none of it is true and he has no desire to transfer.

Nah, he's definitely considering it.  That Jayro guy has a feel for the players' pluse.   

I don't think he'll end up transferring.   But if he does, I can't blame him.  Getting off of a sinking ship isn't an act of weakness, it's just smart. 

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »
he also said we are in talks with a transfer and a 4 star player, so if he has the pulse then how can the ship be sinking if we are "allegedly" bring in quality players.  if we believe the bad news then we have to believe the good.  I'm just saying. 

paultzman

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »
he also said we are in talks with a transfer and a 4 star player, so if he has the pulse then how can the ship be sinking if we are "allegedly" bring in quality players.  if we believe the bad news then we have to believe the good.  I'm just saying. 

Ships in rough waters need good captains.

Poison

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »

You don't build a program by chasing seniors out the door. This is not good news. I don't think Greene is much better than Eugene Lawrence, if he is at all, but continuity, not talent is the main advantage we have with 4 seniors next year. This esteemed 10 man class would be down to 3, and if that's the case, then what has Lavin built here?

paultzman

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2014, 04:56:56 PM »

You don't build a program by chasing seniors out the door. This is not good news. I don't think Greene is much better than Eugene Lawrence, if he is at all, but continuity, not talent is the main advantage we have with 4 seniors next year. This esteemed 10 man class would be down to 3, and if that's the case, then what has Lavin built here?

House of cards.

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »

Nah, he's definitely considering it.  That Jayro guy has a feel for the players' pluse.   

I don't think he'll end up transferring.   But if he does, I can't blame him.  Getting off of a sinking ship isn't an act of weakness, it's just smart. 

What if jayon is a player or someone associated with the team,  that would make what he is writing about a littel more interesting.

SJUFAN

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »

House of cards.

Pretty good show imo.

Foad

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »

Ships in rough waters need good captains.

The good news is that in this case we could use the captain's head as a floatation device.

Marillac

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »
I'll take an educated guess here. He probably wants to play in the NCAA tourney. From the looks if it, that's not happening here anytime soon. Big East, with any luck,  will get 2 teams in next year. St Johns not being 1 of them

Coach is close with him....the far more likely scenario is that there is someone coming aboard(Mason?) that will kill his minutes and Coach spoke to him about it or he got wind of it from someone else. 

Phil Green shot 40.0% from three this year...those of you that think he hasn't improved are ridiculous.  He shot 22.7% last year.   We are one of the most challenged shooting teams in the country and you guys act like it's no big deal to lose the kid?  He wasn't a top 75 recruit like almost everyone else and he tries hard...that puts him off limits to harsh criticism in my book. 

If we were told from the day he committed that he'd be a 40% three point shooter that never turned the ball over...we'd all take that in a heartbeat.  He played out of position for 2.5 years but that is clearly over.  It's time to get off this kid's back. 

desco80

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2014, 07:33:47 PM »

What if jayon is a player or someone associated with the team,  that would make what he is writing about a littel more interesting.

Team manager

desco80

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2014, 07:38:08 PM »
I'll take an educated guess here. He probably wants to play in the NCAA tourney. From the looks if it, that's not happening here anytime soon. Big East, with any luck,  will get 2 teams in next year. St Johns not being 1 of them

Coach is close with him....the far more likely scenario is that there is someone coming aboard(Mason?) that will kill his minutes and Coach spoke to him about it or he got wind of it from someone else. 

Phil Green shot 40.0% from three this year...those of you that think he hasn't improved are ridiculous.  He shot 22.7% last year.   We are one of the most challenged shooting teams in the country and you guys act like it's no big deal to lose the kid?  He wasn't a top 75 recruit like almost everyone else and he tries hard...that puts him off limits to harsh criticism in my book. 

If we were told from the day he committed that he'd be a 40% three point shooter that never turned the ball over...we'd all take that in a heartbeat.  He played out of position for 2.5 years but that is clearly over.  It's time to get off this kid's back.

This seems pretty on point IMO.   PG wouldn't leave without reason.   And Playing time is the most important currency in college basketball.   So there may be some truth to the rumors that a transfer is on his way.
The Obekpa situation is far more important.   

Overall though we're leaking players, and I have no faith in a Lavin to get a new group to gel in time to make a run next season.   He needed continuity and experience in his players to overcome his coaching short comings.   

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2014, 09:59:35 PM »

Were a better team if Jamal gets more minutes than Phil. That doesnt happen if Phil is on the team next year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2014, 02:09:10 AM »

Were a better team if Jamal gets more minutes than Phil. That doesnt happen if Phil is on the team next year.

I am a huge Branch fan as you well know, but we don't stand a chance against the 2-3 without Phil if no other shooters are added. They'll overplay Harrison and that will be all she wrote....we have no low post scoring and he middle will be clogged for Jordan.  No Hooper or Bourgault to the rescue.  We'd have no chance.  Even with Greene our outlook against a strong zone is not pretty. 

Our best bet is for all of our guards to focus on defense and shooting this summer and come out swinging.  Greene and Branch have to really step it up in that category. 

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2014, 06:44:07 AM »

I am a huge Branch fan as you well know, but we don't stand a chance against the 2-3 without Phil if no other shooters are added. They'll overplay Harrison and that will be all she wrote....we have no low post scoring and he middle will be clogged for Jordan.  No Hooper or Bourgault to the rescue.  We'd have no chance.  Even with Greene our outlook against a strong zone is not pretty. 

Our best bet is for all of our guards to focus on defense and shooting this summer and come out swinging.  Greene and Branch have to really step it up in that category. 

Yes Phil can hit 3's but he has no chance in breaking down  the zone off the dribble. Jamal can get into gaps and make things happen.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

derk

« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2014, 09:42:19 AM »

Yes Phil can hit 3's but he has no chance in breaking down  the zone off the dribble. Jamal can get into gaps and make things happen.

You are both right. It would be nice if we could combine both into one decent player.

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2014, 11:18:45 AM »

Please refresh our memories...what's this guy's track record...or is it just baldi spamming again.

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2014, 12:10:46 PM »

That's it Marillac!  I hereby deputize you.  Consider yourself fully enabled to defend Rhombus in my absence or to take the lead wherever and whenever you see fit.  Good show ole chum!

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2014, 12:55:56 PM »
I said in a previous post Phil Greene would be one of our most improved players, but if he loses minutes in his last year coming from 3 yrs of 30 minutes then I understand the move.  It would hurt the team in depth and experience but Lavin has to do what's best for the team to get us to the next level and that's get to NCAA tourney.  Look,  guys like calipari and brown from smu did it and it worked out tremendously.  Brown took an awful Smu program with the former guys and turned them into a top 25 program by telling kids to leave and bringing in better talent. Calipari got rid of his pg and replaced him with better pg play and they are in final four.  The situations are different to some extent, but Lavin's best asset is bringing in talent and if he has better players coming in to make the team better so be it. Only way to see if this move, should it happen, be successful, is see where the chips may fall and then make an assessment. 

Lavin has a great core coming back and by bringing in a more multi dimensional player then Greene and a big, team could be substantially better.  Just have to let these types of situations play out.  We have to many same type players, so losing Greene is not awful unless there is no one in the pike ready to put on an Sju uniform next year and we won't know that for sure till end of all the signings come end of spring.

Trone

« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2014, 12:58:21 PM »

I dont know much about mason but is it worthwhile to bring on a senior guard at this point?  We seem to be set at the guard position with sheed, dlo, branch and greene and balamou.  I doubt we are bringing in someone that would take his minutes, no point in losing greene for an unknown one year commodity.  I would think we bring in a young guard or two who doesnt need to play this year i.e. jay henderson.  I am sure that Jay Henderson is ours if we want him, he would commit tomorrow if Lav gave him the green light.