Are You Ready to Move on?

• 86 replies

desco80

Are You Ready to Move on?
« on: April 01, 2014, 04:51:44 PM »
I asked this question in mid January and 49% had had enough; 46% thought he deserved more time; and 4% said they were pleased with the job Lavin had done.   Let's see if things have changed...

I'll take option C.

Foad

Re: Are You Ready to Move on?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:03:48 PM »
I asked this question in mid January and 49% had had enough; 46% thought he deserved more time; and 4% said they were pleased with the job Lavin had done.   Let's see if things have changed...

I'll take option C.

(D) No, because the alternative could be much worse.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
I will abstain until we know for sure that Obekpa is not coming back.  If he's gone, then it's "C"

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
If you can get Shaka, Miller, or the coach from Wichita State, then yes.  If not, no, for the same reason as Fun. 

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
C. Anyone can lead us to not making the tournament at a a cheaper price. And maybe show some heart

NYCoffey

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »
Sounds like you want Cluess to get the job.

DFF6

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »
C. Anyone can lead us to not making the tournament at a a cheaper price. And maybe show some heart

Now that Baldi's posts have become middle of the road views of the program, it's time I start going back to church.

Tha Kid

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 06:15:58 PM »
C - whether or not Obekpa transfers, there is way too much unrest in this program.  Whether its the players (who Lavin recruited) or the head coach or the assistant coach, it all comes down to the man at the top.  Even with an Obekpa transfer next season can still be salvaged as we have the potential to have one of the best backcourts in the nation.  Add some big bodies and a great coach and that is still a tourney team.  With Lavin at the helm it very well may not be.

Cut our losses now.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 06:27:36 PM »
To me Lavin has overall done a decent job. I won't call it good, but two 20 win seasons, a tournament appearance, and highly ranked recruits I can't say it's been a bad tenure.

If Obekpa and Greene transfer, then obviously we are in trouble. But until both are official, I think we can still make a tourney run next season. Especially as we will be led by a senior Harrison and a sophomore Jordan.

Regardless of how transfers turn out, Lavin deserves a shot at taking this team to the tourney. St. John's is not a good enough caliber basketball school to fire a coach coming off a 20 win season. UCLA we are not.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »
4 years in he has two nits and 1 NCAA. Not great, but not bad. No extension and no fire.

5 years in he should have a couple of NCAA wins. No NCAAs next year and he needs to get fired no matter what. If he wins a couple ncaa games next year he should get an extension. In my view the only difficult decision next year will be if he has a barely-in NCAA team that wins one or no games, but also has an amazing 2015 recruiting class. Not sure what I do in that case - on one hand he will have proven he cannot coach up "talented" players, while on the other hand you will have the quality of player coming in, a full on rebuild again and the (good) chance at hiring someone even worse than lavin.

kob24

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 07:34:11 PM »
Y'all not getting Shaka or miller

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »
I think it would be better to move on, but I don't think the administration will.  It has become readily apparent though, that our roster has been almost instantly depleted.  Compound that with the fact that we have had soooo many social issues with the roster and coach, I think it would be better to move on. 

Will the alternative be worse?  Maybe.  It all depends on what we are looking for.  This time around, I'd go out and get the best X's and O's guy I can find. Obviously talent wins ball games, but the talent needs to be appropriately utilized.   Somebody who can also bring talent in of course, but they guys that are winning are guys that can do a bit of both.

I had high hopes for Lavin as a recruiter, and we certainly looked to be on track.  This absent 2014' class coupled by our team's refusal to play in the nit and now the defections are signs of a bigger problem behind the scenes.  I don't foresee it getting better right now, and if it does, it will take a few years.

LJSA

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 07:50:11 PM »
If a change is going to be made, do it now before you go 9-21 with seven scholarship players, and lose the interest of every 2015 kid.

I assume a competent AD would by now have investigated the real reason why kids are leaving, assuming there is a real reason.

SJUFAN

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
I think we need time to see who will be on our roster for 14'. Obekpa hasn't transfered, nor has Greene. We havn't signed anyone for 14' yet, that will change. I need to see it play out. If Obekpa stays, and we bring in some solid recruits, we can still have a good 14'.

uwsfan

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 08:26:55 PM »
Even if Obekpa stays, next year will be a disappointment. For the same  reason this year was. Lavin cant coach!
 It doesnt matter if you are good at procuring high quality ingredients if you cant cook.  It will only ever be disappointment with him, no matter how good he recruits.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:27:25 PM by uwsfan »

goredmen

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 09:24:55 PM »
In Lavin's 4 years he has only had 1 successful season. Now that wouldn't necessarily be grounds for dismissal here but things are looking down not up. We have two frontcourt players for next year and one of them might be leaving. Christian Jones and Felix Balamou are the only players on the current roster that will be on the team for the 15-16 season. That's not how you build a winning program

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 09:29:38 PM »
In Lavin's 4 years he has only had 1 successful season. Now that wouldn't necessarily be grounds for dismissal here but things are looking down not up. We have two frontcourt players for next year and one of them might be leaving. Christian Jones and Felix Balamou are the only players on the current roster that will be on the team for the 15-16 season. That's not how you build a winning program

That's a lot of assuming your doing there. You're assuming no Obekpa, no Jordan.

Not many schools unless they are young would have current rosters that would look much better than that looking 2 years into the future.

goredmen

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 09:47:46 PM »

That's a lot of assuming your doing there. You're assuming no Obekpa, no Jordan.

Not many schools unless they are young would have current rosters that would look much better than that looking 2 years into the future.

I think assuming that both Obekpa and Jordan will be gone by the 15-16 season is a very fair assumption. If we had to bet I'd say 90% of us would bet that they would both be gone by then. I could be wrong but I just can't see either one of them lasting more than one more year here

I disagree. I think most schools in our position within the college basketball landscape would at least have a couple guys that will make up the core of their 15-16 team in place by now. Obviously the Kentuckys and Kansases of the world may not but they just reload with 5 star recruits every year so they don't have to

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 10:07:50 PM »
never been more ready to move on.

I was on the other side of that equation just 3 weeks ago.

TONYD3

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »
 Was ready to fire him after going 0-5. He then ended big east on 10-3 run. As un- popular as this is I think we should keep him another season. 22-11 isn't a bad season. Team was playing well down the stretch. The guy made some stupid mistakes that cost us a tournament berth. Think assistants finally spoke up or he realized he was being an idiot. Not happy with the way the season ended but if we got a few more breaks we would have been in the tournamnent.