NBA Draft Combine List No Jakarr

• 40 replies

Marillac

Re: NBA Draft Combine List No Jakarr
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
I think a lot kids need to look at the big picture.  Most are far more likely to make more money following a coaching career than a career as a player. 
A kid like Sampson, with his great personality, could make a few hundred thousand a year as an assistant in 3-4 years, with the possibility of making much more as a head coach.  He has connections to the best prep school in the country and also to St. Vincents-St. Marys. From a recruiting perspecitve alone that is huge. Every good staff needs a younger, energetic guy to be the liason between the head coach and players.  Not likely without a degree.

People just assume that you can make a killing in Europe if miss the NBA..it's really not always the case.  Nearly all foreign leagues restrict the # of Americans that can play on the team.  The most oversaturated position in Europe is the combo forward.  The whole roster seems to be 6'6 to 6'10 with the ability to shoot from all over the court and skill to dribble....skills Sampson doesn't have yet.

I think he'll be in the NBDL making about 30-40k. I don't think the NBA would have been an option even if he stayed all four years, but he could have built up enough of a resume and imroved enough to play top level European ball or at least the next level.  I see a guy like CJ Fair having a huge advantage over him down the line overseas.

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »
http://zagsblog.com/articles/nba-draft-combine-list-released/#more-115893

Surprised no one posted this.

Got to say I am a little surprised & disappointed that  Jakarr was not invited.
Not sure why you'd be surprised. As I posted on April 5th, Sampson wasn't on a single mock draft list:

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=8777.0

And for those who say he can play his way into the NBA, please tell me about all the undrafted American players who have done so.

This is the sad thing about players leaving early - you never hear about the ones who disappear, never to be heard from again. And playing in Europe is harder than it sounds.

Chris Copeland. Ben Hansbrough had a cup of coffee with the Pacers a year after going undrafted but is back in Europe now.

Anyway, yeah it's rough trying to come back from being undrafted.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »
Did he ever return? No he never returned, and his fate is still unknown, oy, oy, oy! He'll travel forever in the street of Europe, he's the Johnny that never returned!

Wishing him best of luck in beating the odds against him!
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 09:54:12 PM »
Shabazz was a senior.  Why can't that happen for us?  If your a guaranteed 1st rounder like Mo than I buy it.  But to come out early to maybe play low level Euro  or Nbdl?  Barkley, Cook, Sampson?  The legacy of doomed premature declaration continues.   I'm pissed at Jakarr and his crap a$$ advisors.  We're never gonna get better if even our good but not great players fly the coop first chance they get.

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 10:25:05 PM »
Unfortunately Carmine this happens to a lot of teams, not just SJU.  Kids leave early even when they aren't ready for the NBA with the hope of getting drafted based on pre-draft workouts/potential, or if not, they prefer to go into the NBDL or to Europe to get paid.

SJUFAN

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 12:26:23 AM »
If your a guaranteed 1st rounder like Mo than I buy it.  But to come out early to maybe play low level Euro  or Nbdl?  Barkley, Cook, Sampson?  The legacy of doomed premature declaration continues.   I'm pissed at Jakarr and his crap a$$ advisors.

This is what bothered me about Jakarr's decision. If he declared because he wanted to get paid whether it be overseas or the NBDL, then that's one thing, but I don't believe that is the case. That is what posters are speculating. Jarkarr didn't say he wants to just get paid to play ball and he doesn't care where, he said he believes he is a late first round maybe second round NBA draft pick. Based on what he has actually said, then he made a poor decision to come out now if he believed that was the case. I hope it works out for him because he seems like a great guy.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 11:59:59 AM »
Within 24 hours of declaring it was all over the web that Jakarr was a long shot to get drafted.  He obviously didn't care.  I really don't think he was at that time delusional enough to think everyone is wrong and he was right.  I just think he wanted out of college and to get a paycheck, any paycheck.  That said, he and Lavin aren't going to hurt what little chance he might have had by admitting that in public. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
Within 24 hours of declaring it was all over the web that Jakarr was a long shot to get drafted.  He obviously didn't care.  I really don't think he was at that time delusional enough to think everyone is wrong and he was right.  I just think he wanted out of college and to get a paycheck, any paycheck.  That said, he and Lavin aren't going to hurt what little chance he might have had by admitting that in public. 

Right..... after he declared. It was his delusional thoughts that lead him to declare. 

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »

Right..... after he declared. It was his delusional thoughts that lead him to declare. 

Yes, but he didn't have to sign with an agent and he would have had a week to reconsider.  Instead he continued to be committed to paying for play.  Besides all the guys that wrote whatever about him would have told Lavin the same in the days leading up to the decision.  Jakarr knew where he stood.

SJUFAN

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 05:11:10 PM »

Yes, but he didn't have to sign with an agent and he would have had a week to reconsider.  Instead he continued to be committed to paying for play.  Besides all the guys that wrote whatever about him would have told Lavin the same in the days leading up to the decision.  Jakarr knew where he stood.

Maybe he gave more weight to what the agent said than what reporters say. You would think the agent would be better informed. Wouldn't be the first time that happened.

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »
Who would think an agent would be better informed?

SJUFAN

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 07:15:04 PM »
Who would think an agent would be better informed?

An impressionable young man with dreams of playing in the NBA who has been told his entire life that he will play in the NBA. Jakarr said it himself that he believed he would go somewhere in the late first round to the second. Who do you believe planted that seed there? As well as the fact that agents have NBA GM's on speed dial, they are better informed, but why tell a potential client that they aren't good enough? Sign here and you have no choice but to play in Turkey. I still get my cut.

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 01:35:54 PM »
@DraftExpress 2m
Here are the rosters for the Clippers Mini-Combine. Zoom in. pic.twitter.com/t1RfBtKYPp

Foad

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »
@DraftExpress 2m
Here are the rosters for the Clippers Mini-Combine. Zoom in. pic.twitter.com/t1RfBtKYPp

Evidently Donald Sterling does not read JJ.

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2014, 02:02:12 PM »
@DraftExpress 2m

Too biased for him?

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »
@DraftExpress 2m

Too biased for him?
No - cuz we post this stuff....Hey Sterling - Bazinga

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:27:24 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 05:23:28 PM »
@Anil_Letherwala 4h
Former @StJohnsBBall JaKarr Sampson working out for the @Suns today #sjubb

desco80

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »
I read in the paper this morning that Jakarr is working with a stats guru,... so he's got that going for him.  Which is nice.

DFF6

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 11:52:17 AM »
I read in the paper this morning that Jakarr is working with a stats guru,... so he's got that going for him.  Which is nice.

JaKarr just has to be the ball. 

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2014, 03:46:45 PM »
@EddieKull: @StJohnsBBall Connection @kings draft workout. @stjohnsalumni @chrismullin17 @pdoro @karrsampson14 GL Jakarr! http://t.co/I1eCBICPV3