NJIT Post game discussion

• 8 replies
NJIT Post game discussion
« on: November 15, 2014, 12:14:30 AM »
Our energy level was very good.  NJIT was very bad.

We seemed like a close knit group. 

Surprisingly minutes found for Balawho and walk-on Stewart early.

Played zone extensively. 

Decent crowd of 3.5 - 4k.

Several highlight reel dishes, drives and dunk attempts from the Savior. Will be interesting to see how often the zebras are going to call, or not call, that euro step/slow two step boogie he's fallen in love with.

Double doubles from Sir with Love and Oblockpa. It's funny watching Chris smile at and complain to the refs on even the most obvious of goal tending calls. He's looking kinda thin. Concerned he's going to get pushed around come conference time unless he starts doubling up on the seconds at the team buffet pronto.

Trending up - Shot very well from the line again.  This time in a game that counted.

Trending upper - Only 7 turnovers despite a conscious effort to run whenever possible.  2 of them from Da Ali B in only 4 minutes of play.  The most pleasing characteristic of the Lavin era in my small mind.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:22:27 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Re: NJIT Post game discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 02:47:10 AM »
I loved the energy we played in the first half. Also love the way we all crashed the boards. If that is a trend that continues then we can play with anyone. Had the game fully in check for the entire game, it is hard to win by 30 when you have a cold PGIV getting 25 minutes. Overall am excited to see what the season brings.

And if no one else is gonna say it I will., I thought Christian Jones played really well. 4 pts 2-2 fg, 2 rbs in only 11 minutes. If anyone is gonna tell me he played poor defense then they are just relying on what they have heard before. He  deserved more minutes.  BTW, miles stewart might be my favorite player.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 03:20:20 AM »
The reason I'll never give up on this program is because of how fun college basketball is. Yesterday sucked a lot but being in the building tonight made me forget about all that and enjoy the ride.

Also Jordan and Obekpa looked especially good. I don't know what they're gonna do vs a bigger team though.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 07:35:28 AM »
Rysheed Jordan saw a narrow opening and slipped right through for a driving layup. Sir’Dominic Pointer went to the floor to deflect a ball for a steal. D’Angelo Harrison took an inbounds pass and scored on a layup to start a three-point play, coming down in a full holler.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/st-john-opens-season-77-58-win-njit-article-1.2011710
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 07:36:54 AM »
St. John’s answered several lingering questions in its season-opening 77-58 win Friday night over NJIT.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/15/obekpa-and-jordan-dazzle-as-st-johns-opens-with-statement/
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 03:43:42 PM »
I loved the energy we played in the first half. Also love the way we all crashed the boards. If that is a trend that continues then we can play with anyone. Had the game fully in check for the entire game, it is hard to win by 30 when you have a cold PGIV getting 25 minutes. Overall am excited to see what the season brings.

And if no one else is gonna say it I will., I thought Christian Jones played really well. 4 pts 2-2 fg, 2 rbs in only 11 minutes. If anyone is gonna tell me he played poor defense then they are just relying on what they have heard before. He  deserved more minutes.  BTW, miles stewart might be my favorite player.
Actually would like to see him get the ball in the post more often...he displays good footwork, used his left hand extremely well and is skilled
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:45:09 PM by section3 »

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »

Actually would like to see him get the ball in the post more often...he displays good footwork, used his left hand extremely well and is skilled

Thank you, at least there are two of us.

desco80

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »
I actually though Rysheed played a pretty crappy  game.   He had a few nice moments driving, but overall I thought he was pressing early.   And he simply has to shoot better from outside and the foul line if he's going to earn a paycheck playing this sport. 
That said, his eurostep  is a nice weapon, and he played good d.

But something that irked me, is that whether it was Rysheed or dlo, no one very threw the ball back to Obekpa on a pick and roll.   Branch did, or tried to.
But the other guys need to work on a lob to the big man.  Part of the problem is the route CO takes to the hoop, but in general our guards need to get him the ball in the lane.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 12:32:50 AM »
I actually though Rysheed played a pretty crappy  game.   He had a few nice moments driving, but overall I thought he was pressing early.   And he simply has to shoot better from outside and the foul line if he's going to earn a paycheck playing this sport. 
That said, his eurostep  is a nice weapon, and he played good d.

But something that irked me, is that whether it was Rysheed or dlo, no one very threw the ball back to Obekpa on a pick and roll.   Branch did, or tried to.
But the other guys need to work on a lob to the big man.  Part of the problem is the route CO takes to the hoop, but in general our guards need to get him the ball in the lane.

Agree that they need to get the ball inside more. Jones should get touches in the post. But how bout Dlo's passes to Obekpa in the first half the other night? He does not rack up the assists but Dlo is such a better passer than he will ever be given credit for.  Those such passes, desco, are the ones I was thinking about when I spoke about how our play would improve despite the loss of Sampson and Sanchez. Easy dump offs for dunks and the always important 3 point play. Thomas would have played a big role in that but we know what happened there.

And for some reason I think Sheeds euro step is my least favorite part of his game. It seems to be all hes gone too early, which is a little disappointing.