Franklin Pierce -Game Discussion

• 109 replies
Re: Franklin Pierce -Game Discussion
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2014, 08:40:39 AM »
The great...You'd have to go back a long way to find a better performance than Harrison's last night.  I hope the Knicks are watching.

The good.  Green IV is an outstanding...dominating...player when he doesn't shoot the three.  He only took one last night (which, of course, missed).  Branch also only took one.  The only players who should be taking that shot are Harrison and  Jordan.  Period.

The bad...I couldn't believe how Franklin Pierce was running their offense in the first half.  I was thinking, "We're looking at our new head coach".  I didn't think they could sustain it, and they didn't.

The ugly.  Tarik Turner is lucky he's a big St. John's contributor, otherwise he'd have to pay for his seat to the game.  He has his idea of what to say before the game.  No matter what happens, he sticks to his game plan.  He kept blaming Franklin Pierce's three point onslaught on Obekpa being in foul trouble.  I thought Obekpa played under the basket.  How would that affect FP's three point shooting?  There was zero dropoff when Christian Jones was in the game.  Eight points, four rebounds and one blocked shot in eleven minutes is pretty strong.  Tarik has come a long way since he started doing the games...now he has to learn to think on his feet. 

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
I recall Tarik making the point that when Obekpa is not in the game, they can't extend the defense as much because they don't have his shot-blocking presence if they get beat.  Not a ludicrous idea.

Foad

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2014, 10:27:36 AM »
I recall Tarik making the point that when Obekpa is not in the game, they can't extend the defense as much because they don't have his shot-blocking presence if they get beat.  Not a ludicrous idea.

Right, because usually they defend the three so well

« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »
The good.  Green IV is an outstanding...dominating...player when he doesn't shoot the three.  He only took one last night (which, of course, missed). 

Granted he was much worse his Fresh & Soph year...but Phil did shoot 40% from 3pt range last year...that was better than Harrison's %...of course I'm not saying that Phil is a better 3pt shooter than Harrison, but its not like Phil is Jakarr from outside.

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2014, 11:02:10 AM »
Phil should continue to shoot threes when he is open.  He is one of our best shooters despite his poor shooting so far this season.

What he does need to stop doing is shooting semi-contested long 2s.  Lowest yielding shot in the game.  Kills me every time he pulls the trigger from 17 feet.  This team likes shooting them early in the possession, too. 

TONYD3

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »
When we play bad teams Lavin experiments to much for my liking.  Wish we would blow team s out then work on things.We played a zone last night against a great shooting team. Not as great strategy, lavin knows this. If the goal was to beat the Division 2 team by 50 we would press and pressure them all game. His goal was to work on things. Yes he wanted to win which we did. Today he can go over mistakes that were made. Hopefully that was the thought process. 

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
When we play bad teams Lavin experiments to much for my liking.  Wish we would blow team s out then work on things.We played a zone last night against a great shooting team. Not as great strategy, lavin knows this. If the goal was to beat the Division 2 team by 50 we would press and pressure them all game. His goal was to work on things. Yes he wanted to win which we did. Today he can go over mistakes that were made. Hopefully that was the thought process. 

I wish crgreen was still around to tell us about the time lavin lost by 30 to the university of phoenix only to wind up in the sweet 16, and would have won the national championship if not for earl watson's wicked hangnail

he was maybe a little too much of a lavin lover, but he had some perspective at least
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:18:43 AM by apesNapes »

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »
Phil should continue to shoot threes when he is open.  He is one of our best shooters despite his poor shooting so far this season.

What he does need to stop doing is shooting semi-contested long 2s.  Lowest yielding shot in the game.  Kills me every time he pulls the trigger from 17 feet.  This team likes shooting them early in the possession, too. 

I don't know about statistics...i know when we need a shot and he takes a three he virtually always misses.  He's significantly better when he uses his outstanding athleticism to drive towards the basket and either scores or dishes.  I'll stick to my mantra...no threes for anyone not named harrison or jordan...and especially none for pointer.

QuanMan

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »
Dee, Sheed and Phil combined for 68 pts-26 rebounds-10 assists-3 steals.

Let's hope this continues in the Garden next week as Minnesota and Gonzaga both have talented backcourts.

There is noticeable improvement to all 3 of their games, in all facets.

Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2014, 12:32:48 PM »

I don't know about statistics...i know when we need a shot and he takes a three he virtually always misses.  He's significantly better when he uses his outstanding athleticism to drive towards the basket and either scores or dishes.  I'll stick to my mantra...no threes for anyone not named harrison or jordan...and especially none for pointer.
He shot 40% from 3 last year.  That is good enough to justify him shooting them when he is open.  He is definitely a better shooter than Jordan, though Sheed is closing the gap.

To put it in effective FG% terms, a 40% 3 point shooter is equivalent to someone who shoots 60% from 2.  We know Greene is way below 60% on those mid range jumpers.  He needs to be coached to be in position to shoot 3s rather than 17 footers - it's a much higher yielding shot attempt.

desco80

« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2014, 12:44:46 PM »

Let's hope this continues in the Garden next week as Minnesota and Gonzaga both have talented backcourts.

You do know the message board isn't the place for press releases, right?
But feel free to email your talking points to Braziller, Rubin, Zags, Kussoy, etc

boo3

« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »

But feel free to email your talking points to Braziller, Rubin, Zags, Kussoy, etc

Come on Desco..   You spout just the same on the opposite end of the spectrum...So what, he's positive...  That's ok just as much as the anti-Lavin agenda you post is ok...  What's good for you is good for others.. 

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »

Come on Desco..   You spout just the same on the opposite end of the spectrum...So what, he's positive...  That's ok just as much as the anti-Lavin agenda you post is ok...  What's good for you is good for others.. 

+1
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2014, 02:54:19 PM »
The great...You'd have to go back a long way to find a better performance than Harrison's last night.  I hope the Knicks are watching.

The good.  Green IV is an outstanding...dominating...player when he doesn't shoot the three.  He only took one last night (which, of course, missed).  Branch also only took one.  The only players who should be taking that shot are Harrison and  Jordan.  Period.

The bad...I couldn't believe how Franklin Pierce was running their offense in the first half.  I was thinking, "We're looking at our new head coach".  I didn't think they could sustain it, and they didn't.

The ugly.  Tarik Turner is lucky he's a big St. John's contributor, otherwise he'd have to pay for his seat to the game.  He has his idea of what to say before the game.  No matter what happens, he sticks to his game plan.  He kept blaming Franklin Pierce's three point onslaught on Obekpa being in foul trouble.  I thought Obekpa played under the basket.  How would that affect FP's three point shooting?  There was zero dropoff when Christian Jones was in the game.  Eight points, four rebounds and one blocked shot in eleven minutes is pretty strong.  Tarik has come a long way since he started doing the games...now he has to learn to think on his feet. 

Newsman, was that the first game you've seen Phil Greene play? Dominating? wow that's insane. Telling a guy who shot 40% on 75 3 pointers his junior year to never take one again is just as insane. Phil is a spot up shooter, a pretty good one, but he has never been able to get by defenders consistently and on the rare occasion he has been able to do so, his 'dishes' are few and far between.

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »
The good.  Green IV is an outstanding...dominating...player 

The old Carmine would have loved this line.

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2014, 05:41:18 PM »

Are you serious? So you're just going off memory here? This is ridiculous. How uneducated about the issue can you get.

Look, I'm no sabermetrics guy or anything, but I'm not gonnna say that some guy that is batting .350 is a bad hitter because I can't remember him getting a hit the last few times I've watched.

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »

Newsman, was that the first game you've seen Phil Greene play? Dominating? wow that's insane. Telling a guy who shot 40% on 75 3 pointers his junior year to never take one again is just as insane. Phil is a spot up shooter, a pretty good one, but he has never been able to get by defenders consistently and on the rare occasion he has been able to do so, his 'dishes' are few and far between.

Phil Greene is a decent shooter when left wide open, on left side, and he doesn't have to put the ball on the floor. Outside of that he shoots at a very low percentage and he is best when attacking the basket in transition.

He'd be really good as a change of pace guard off the bench to ball out for 5 minute stints.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2014, 08:23:18 PM »

Phil Greene is a decent shooter when left wide open, on left side, and he doesn't have to put the ball on the floor. Outside of that he shoots at a very low percentage and he is best when attacking the basket in transition.

He'd be really good as a change of pace guard off the bench to ball out for 5 minute stints.

I think playing with Jordan and Harrison he is going to get wide open looks and he should have his best season I predict. Greene is fine as long as you don't ask him to do too much. Blame Lavin for the Phil Greene point guard disaster!

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2014, 08:25:52 PM »

Yea, thats a spot up shooter. Dont think the side matters though.

TONYD3

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2014, 10:48:51 PM »
In this thread I have been called a Lavin apologist. Greene had to play PG because we only had 6 players and the 7th who was the PG quit. I like Branch think he the better PG, Phil just competed and got some minutes there If u want to kill Lavin bring up the G-town game from last year. Greene was not recruited to play PG. Only play there because he had to.