Syracuse Game Discussion

• 257 replies
Re: Syracuse Game Discussion
« Reply #240 on: December 08, 2014, 01:40:49 AM »
BTW did you really memorize all my posts or do you like print them out and hang them on your wall or something? Either way Phil played great and as I said you should have at it, so congratulations.

That was just some stuff I remembered off the top of my head. Thanks for the congrats.

Who is your favorite player?  Harrison?

Foad

« Reply #241 on: December 08, 2014, 05:53:59 AM »
Either way Phil played great

Let's be realistic. Phil played great for three minutes. Yes, it was an important three minutes and his play won the game. Congratulations Phil. But before that he was 2 for 12 from the floor in 29 minutes. That's not great. He had two rebounds, that's not great. Two assists is not great.  For 29 minutes he dribbled around pointlessly and played his usual defense, which is horrible. He's a shooting guard who's mediocre at shooting and worse than that at everything else. Saturday he got hot at the right time. That doesn't negate the previous 29 minutes or validate the opinion of those who have been fluffing him for three years.

« Reply #242 on: December 08, 2014, 08:45:28 AM »
For the previous three season I totally agree with you, however personally I think alot of that was on the coach and he playing out of position. Secondly I am of the opinion if you do something great, why bring up the past. Would be like if you fix something around the house and your wife says you should have fiixed it months ago. I hate that!

As for the Cuse game, to me it is even more impressive what he did at the end considering how poorly he was playing prior to his explosion.

« Reply #243 on: December 08, 2014, 08:55:25 AM »
Quote function not working from work for some reason but to answer Carmine's question here is the complete list in chronological order:
David Russell
Chris Mullin
Chris Mullin,Walter Berry tie
WALTER BERRY
Mark Jackson
Michael Porter
Boo Harvey
Malik Sealy
David Cain, Derek Brown tie
Derek Brown
Artest
Artest, Postal, Thorton, Barkley, Grant TIE
Thorton, Postal, Barkley Tie
Omar Cook
Marcus Hatten
Darryl Hill
Larry Wright
Dwight Hardy
Moe Harkless
Deangelo Harrison
Harrison,Jordan tie

Foad

« Reply #244 on: December 08, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »
For the previous three season I totally agree with you, however personally I think alot of that was on the coach and he playing out of position. Secondly I am of the opinion if you do something great, why bring up the past. Would be like if you fix something around the house and your wife says you should have fiixed it months ago. I hate that! As for the Cuse game, to me it is even more impressive what he did at the end considering how poorly he was playing prior to his explosion.
Here is perhaps a better analogy. You are allegedly a handyman, but you never fix anything around the house and in fact for the last three years nearly every time you try and fix something around the house you break it worse than it already was. Then finally one time you manage to patch a hole in the wall without burning the house to the ground. That doesn't make you a contractor and it doesn't validate the opinion of your pal who gave you a five star review on Angie's List every time you broke something. 

« Reply #245 on: December 08, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »
Honestly for me me, it was just so painful to watch him play the point that I am just happy he no longer plays there.

I think he has played well this year.

Outside of Jordan benching, Lavin hasn't even really annoyed me yet

Tha Kid

« Reply #246 on: December 08, 2014, 10:18:49 AM »
Quote function not working from work for some reason but to answer Carmine's question here is the complete list in chronological order: David Russell Chris Mullin Chris Mullin,Walter Berry tie WALTER BERRY Mark Jackson Michael Porter Boo Harvey Malik Sealy David Cain, Derek Brown tie Derek Brown Artest Artest, Postal, Thorton, Barkley, Grant TIE Thorton, Postal, Barkley Tie Omar Cook Marcus Hatten Darryl Hill Larry Wright Dwight Hardy Moe Harkless Deangelo Harrison Harrison,Jordan tie

I'm surprised you weren't a Sergio Luyk guy.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:19:04 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #247 on: December 08, 2014, 10:28:21 AM »
Quote function not working from work for some reason but to answer Carmine's question here is the complete list in chronological order: David Russell Chris Mullin Chris Mullin,Walter Berry tie WALTER BERRY Mark Jackson Michael Porter Boo Harvey Malik Sealy David Cain, Derek Brown tie Derek Brown Artest Artest, Postal, Thorton, Barkley, Grant TIE Thorton, Postal, Barkley Tie Omar Cook Marcus Hatten Darryl Hill Larry Wright Dwight Hardy Moe Harkless Deangelo Harrison Harrison,Jordan tie
From 03-06 you have Hill 3 times? 

Foad

« Reply #248 on: December 08, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »
  Outside of Jordan benching, Lavin hasn't even really annoyed me yet

I'm having trouble getting past the sweatsuit formal wear.

« Reply #249 on: December 08, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »
Tha Kid
Sergio Luyk???  He goes into white guys that could supposedly shoot but really couldn't category with:
Steve Shurina, John Hempel, Terrence Mullin, Fed Lyson, Bourgault and Hooper
Of those guys I liked Shurina the best

Poison
during the Norm years was tough to find a favorite player. Flag Boy might have been my favorite, was he still around for Norm reign of terror

Fun
Lavin is in between trying to dress likehe did at UCLA and Bob Huggins. He should just give up and go full on Huggy Bear.

Dave
What is up with the quote function? Why would it not work from work?

desco80

« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
St. John's coach Steve Lavin said Red Storm defense vs. Syracuse was inspired by ninjas, Robin Hood

"We wanted to show their two big men two defenders on every catch, sometimes three," Lavin said. "Any time Christmas or McCullough got an offensive catch we wanted to swarm like bees on a honey bun, drop in like ninjas, kind of a Sherwood Forest thing. I think we were able to do that, be aggressive dropping in there, because they're struggling from the 3-point line. If they miss then we have three, four bodies to negate their ability to get on the backboards."
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2014/12/st_johns_coach_steve_lavin_said_red_storm_defense_was_inspired_by_honey_buns_nin.html

I'm glad we won.   I'll leave it at that.   
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:11:02 PM by desco80 »

Poison

« Reply #251 on: December 08, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
St. John's coach Steve Lavin said Red Storm defense vs. Syracuse was inspired by ninjas, Robin Hood "We wanted to show their two big men two defenders on every catch, sometimes three," Lavin said. "Any time Christmas or McCullough got an offensive catch we wanted to swarm like bees on a honey bun, drop in like ninjas, kind of a Sherwood Forest thing. I think we were able to do that, be aggressive dropping in there, because they're struggling from the 3-point line. If they miss then we have three, four bodies to negate their ability to get on the backboards." http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2014/12/st_johns_coach_steve_lavin_said_red_storm_defense_was_inspired_by_honey_buns_nin.html I'm glad we won. I'll leave it at that.
Oh my God. 

paultzman

« Reply #252 on: December 08, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »
St. John's coach Steve Lavin said Red Storm defense vs. Syracuse was inspired by ninjas, Robin Hood "We wanted to show their two big men two defenders on every catch, sometimes three," Lavin said. "Any time Christmas or McCullough got an offensive catch we wanted to swarm like bees on a honey bun, drop in like ninjas, kind of a Sherwood Forest thing. I think we were able to do that, be aggressive dropping in there, because they're struggling from the 3-point line. If they miss then we have three, four bodies to negate their ability to get on the backboards." http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2014/12/st_johns_coach_steve_lavin_said_red_storm_defense_was_inspired_by_honey_buns_nin.html I'm glad we won. I'll leave it at that.
Do they check coach's urine? :)

« Reply #253 on: December 08, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »
When did we hire Mr. miyagi?

Foad

« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »

Nice avatar. I LOL'ed. 

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2014, 02:06:40 PM »
Ninja, kick the damn rabbit! 
Go ninja, go ninja, go!!!
For the record Ralpheal was the turtle with the thickest NYC accent and he wore red...Clearly an SJU fan.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #256 on: December 08, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »
Ninja, kick the damn rabbit!
Go ninja, go ninja, go!!!
For the record Ralpheal was the turtle with the thickest NYC accent and he wore red...Clearly an SJU fan.

Speaking of Red, need to wear the Red uniforms more often.

« Reply #257 on: December 08, 2014, 02:13:43 PM »
and played his usual defense, which is horrible.

He had a huge steal with 2 minutes left immediately preceding 3'lo's great out of bounds save and his incredible finish.  He had two great defensive plays late against the Zags when he was trying to single handily win that game only to be sabotaged by Hollywood's ill advised time out.  He's been trying to win these biggest of big games late with his defense as much as with his offense.  It's just getting overshadowed by the sheer power of his offensive explosions. 

Saturday he got hot at the right time. That doesn't negate the previous 29 minutes

I believe it does!

He's been our best in 2 of 7 thus far. The toughest two. That's like 60% or something.

or validate the opinion of those who have been fluffing him for three years

My opinion as his friend is meaningless and doesn't need validation. Validation for this remaining oft maligned group of seniors?  Of greater significance.  Early polls on this season show that the Square is more than trying to do his share.