The Next Five Games

• 41 replies

desco80

The Next Five Games
« on: December 09, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
I think these next five games will be a true test of the legitimacy of this team.   
Are they consistent enough to play meaningful games in March?

Before we kickoff conference play with Seton Hall on New Year's Eve; how well do you think the team will do against:

Farleigh Dickinson
Fordham
St. Marys
Long Beach State
Tulane

I say 3-2, I think we're too reliant on Obekpa's health and staying out of foul trouble.   I also think we haven't completely figured out how to score efficiently.   That we shot 50% from 3 against Cuse blows my mind.  But whether it was by design or by luck, I don't think that's a repeatable strategy. 

paultzman

Re: The Next Five Games
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »
5-0, group seems on a mission. That said CA is haunted. :)

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 06:04:58 PM »
4-1 would be acceptable if the loss is to st. mary's or long beach state.  5-0 would be great, 3-2, disappointing.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 06:06:58 PM »
With that murderers row schedule, has to be 5-0

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 06:26:35 PM »
4-1 would be acceptable if the loss is to st. mary's or long beach state.  5-0 would be great, 3-2, disappointing.

I'm going with 5-0. The seniors say they want in the ncaa tournament in their final year.
So I'm going to believe that they are real serious about that, and that they'll continue to be focused every game, and play every game like it's your last.
Losing to St. Mary's or LB  St. is NOT acceptable, are they an elite or even a ranked team? Nope. Those games are at our house, unfinished business right? Then play like you mean it.
The two losses that was acceptable were Vs. Gonzaga and @ Syracuse, and we beat Syracuse so we're a plus one.
Lets keep it a plus one heading into BE play.

ras

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »
4-1 would be acceptable if the loss is to st. mary's or long beach state. 5-0 would be great, 3-2, disappointing.
I think we will go 4-1. I Agee w what you wrote. Also, as stated by Desco our front court depth concerns me. That's why I want to see Jones and Amar get some burn against the patsies to see what they can do. FWIW according to SJBB,Espn site Amar has 0 rebounds.

TONYD3

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 06:31:39 PM »
I think these next five games will be a true test of the legitimacy of this team. Are they consistent enough to play meaningful games in March? Before we kickoff conference play with Seton Hall on New Year's Eve; how well do you think the team will do against: Farleigh Dickinson Fordham St. Marys Long Beach State Tulane I say 3-2, I think we're too reliant on Obekpa's health and staying out of foul trouble. I also think we haven't completely figured out how to score efficiently. That we shot 50% from 3 against Cuse blows my mind. But whether it was by design or by luck, I don't think that's a repeatable strategy.
We are absolutely watching different teams. 3-2 and I will happily fire Lavin. 4-1 would be bad. Long Beach St. is the preseason 5th team from a bad conference. They are 5-5. St. Mary's is a good team. If we are good we win. If we have a Coach we win. If we have seniors we win all five games.
Obekpa isn't a offensive lineman he is a basketball player. He could get hurt, but he has very good chance of playing every game.
Their was no luck about winning Saturday. We were better. We won.
The hate for this guy is crazy and stupid. He gets no credit for anything. We almost beat a Gonzaga and we beat Syracuse. Instead of good game coach, on this board "the seniors won despite the coach" As Boheim was coaching and losing our lazy dumb coach was screaming ninja defense and luckily it worked. Is he Bobby Knight no, but he is no dummy. Will be at all 5 games, expecting to win.

desco80

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 06:42:33 PM »
I think these next five games will be a true test of the legitimacy of this team. Are they consistent enough to play meaningful games in March? Before we kickoff conference play with Seton Hall on New Year's Eve; how well do you think the team will do against: Farleigh Dickinson Fordham St. Marys Long Beach State Tulane I say 3-2, I think we're too reliant on Obekpa's health and staying out of foul trouble. I also think we haven't completely figured out how to score efficiently. That we shot 50% from 3 against Cuse blows my mind. But whether it was by design or by luck, I don't think that's a repeatable strategy.
We are absolutely watching different teams. 3-2 and I will happily fire Lavin. 4-1 would be bad. Long Beach St. is the preseason 5th team from a bad conference. They are 5-5. St. Mary's is a good team. If we are good we win. If we have a Coach we win. If we have seniors we win all five games. Obekpa isn't a offensive lineman he is a basketball player. He could get hurt, but he has very good chance of playing every game. Their was no luck about winning Saturday. We were better. We won. The hate for this guy is crazy and stupid. He gets no credit for anything. We almost beat a Gonzaga and we beat Syracuse. Instead of good game coach, on this board "the seniors won despite the coach" As Boheim was coaching and losing our lazy dumb coach was screaming ninja defense and luckily it worked. Is he Bobby Knight no, but he is no dummy. Will be at all 5 games, expecting to win.
Tony, nothing would make me happier than to say I owe you beers at MSG for being so wrong about this team.   
I just think that the Cuse game is covering up a lot of warts.  But we'll see.   Like you said I'll be there rooting them on, beginning tomorrow night.     
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:47:13 PM by desco80 »

boo3

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 06:45:15 PM »
5-0 baby.  

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 06:50:15 PM »
I think these next five games will be a true test of the legitimacy of this team.   

Before we kickoff conference play with Seton Hall on New Year's Eve; how well do you think the team will do against:

Farleigh Dickinson
Fordham
St. Marys
Long Beach State
Tulane

I say 3-2, I think we're too reliant on Obekpa's health and staying out of foul trouble.   I also think we haven't completely figured out how to score efficiently.   That we shot 50% from 3 against Cuse blows my mind.  But whether it was by design or by luck, I don't think that's a repeatable strategy.

How many of those games are you going to watch?

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 06:53:54 PM »
We are absolutely watching different teams. 3-2 and I will happily fire Lavin. 4-1 would be bad. Long Beach St. is the preseason 5th team from a bad conference. They are 5-5. St. Mary's is a good team. If we are good we win. If we have a Coach we win. If we have seniors we win all five games. Obekpa isn't a offensive lineman he is a basketball player. He could get hurt, but he has very good chance of playing every game. Their was no luck about winning Saturday. We were better. We won. The hate for this guy is crazy and stupid. He gets no credit for anything. We almost beat a Gonzaga and we beat Syracuse. Instead of good game coach, on this board "the seniors won despite the coach" As Boheim was coaching and losing our lazy dumb coach was screaming ninja defense and luckily it worked. Is he Bobby Knight no, but he is no dummy. Will be at all 5 games, expecting to win.
Tony, nothing would make me happier than to say I owe you beers at MSG for being so wrong about this team Tony. I just think that the Cuse game is covering up a lot of warts. But we'll see. Like you said I'll be there rooting them on, beginning tomorrow night.
All I ask, is wait for the team to look bad and lose. If we beat a crappy team by 15. Don't complain call the coach a dummy because he doesn't think rebounding is important. That is not true, but it was the common theme before Minnesota. Now he can't recuit, but he always has. If felix is the starting 2 guard or even in the rotation next year I will agree. But I don't think that will happen. Give him and the team one more chance. If I am right we are all going to win. If I am wrong I will happily want a new coach.

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
Tony, nothing would make me happier than to say I owe you beers at MSG for being so wrong about this team. I just think that the Cuse game is covering up a lot of warts. But we'll see. Like you said I'll be there rooting them on, beginning tomorrow night.
Desco, Ninjas,wearing UA sweatshirts under suits, will be visiting your home tonight. Beware man! Don't cross Lavin. :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:56:06 PM by paultzman »

boo3

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »
Tony, the majority of us are on the same wavelength I think.  Of course there will be outliers, they have their schtick to maintain! 
Your rational seems fair. If this season ends in disappointment again, we should be looking to move on.  

hnk

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »
Desco, I don't know you, but for someone reason you remind me of Mark Cuban.  I hope you are as successful.

desco80

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »

Farleigh Dickinson
Fordham
St. Marys
Long Beach State
Tulane

What's that supposed to mean?   

Poison

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »
Farleigh Dickinson - W 85-63
Fordham - W 96-65
St. Marys - L 
Long Beach State W 
Tulane W 

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
5-0 These guys are focused. They know they don't want any regrettable losses on Selection Sunday.

redslope

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »
And don't forget Joey 5 Fouls becomes eligible on the 19th

CC

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 09:51:48 PM »
5-0 . After seeing Seton Hall tonight, 6-0 . I don't think Whitehead passed the ball once all night. Willard couldn't lose enough

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »

Farleigh Dickinson
Fordham
St. Marys
Long Beach State
Tulane

What's that supposed to mean?

You said in another thread that you missed the Syracuse game and that might be the reason why SJU played well.