NY Post article

• 20 replies
NY Post article
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »
http://nypost.com/2015/01/03/repeated-infractions-prompted-rysheed-jordans-leave-sources/

Anyone still believe it is not a suspension? Anyone still believe he had the flu against Tulane?

paultzman

Re: NY Post article
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »
Fact - This has been brewing since the season began.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »
Fact - This has been brewing since the season began.

Missed like 5 games last year so it seems like brewing since he got here. You would think being ranked would mean something to him, guess not
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:02:41 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »
Granted times are different with social media and such, but I can't remember another kid coming here, playing reasonably well and yet there was the constant threat of him leaving the program every day.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »
in retrospect we'd been better off if he never came here, recruiting wise also. People would have seen playing time and we wouldn't have had this headache

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 11:09:19 AM »
When you’re going with five guys, it’s difficult,” Lavin said. “We are going to have to make the adjustment that gives us the best opportunity to be competitive.”

Jeeze Steve, thats a nice one. Sure Felix, Jones et all love to see that.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 11:15:40 AM »
I seriously don't understand how we have like 15 players on the roster and can only get 4 minutes from our bench on just 2 days rest.

Are we recruiting D2 players or something?

Poison

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 11:19:43 AM »
I seriously don't understand how we have like 15 players on the roster and can only get 4 minutes from our bench on just 2 days rest. Are we recruiting D2 players or something?
Because playing Branch, Harrison, Obekpa, Pointer, Jordan and Greene gave us a better chance to win than subbing in Jones, Balamou, Alibegovic, Joey and Stewart. Those 5 guys might be the worst 5 players we've ever brought off the bench, and that includes the Norm Roberts years. Lavin has dug quite a hole for the program, and we all know he's headed to the west coast to coach at some private lofty mid major like Pepperdine after this year. 

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 11:45:12 AM »
http://nypost.com/2015/01/03/repeated-infractions-prompted-rysheed-jordans-leave-sources/ Anyone still believe it is not a suspension? Anyone still believe he had the flu against Tulane?
Nothing here we didn't already know

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »
When you’re going with five guys, it’s difficult,” Lavin said. “We are going to have to make the adjustment that gives us the best opportunity to be competitive.” Jeeze Steve, thats a nice one. Sure Felix, Jones et all love to see that.

If he recruited better players we wouldn't be in this predicament.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
It is a perfect set up, nothing new on an extension, only one recruit for next year, A lot of Seniors are graduating, CO will be gone after this year, Jordan is probably already gone. The signs of a coaching change seems imminent at this point. The question is if SJU starts 0-5 or worse will Lavin just resign and have Whitesell take over for the remainder of the year on an interim basis and tryout for head coach? This will provide some stability transition for the program. 
I'm hoping At least that this team rebound and make a tournament run....
Cougar O' Malley

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 12:35:28 PM »
It is a perfect set up, nothing new on an extension, only one recruit for next year, A lot of Seniors are graduating, CO will be gone after this year, Jordan is probably already gone. The signs of a coaching change seems imminent at this point. The question is if SJU starts 0-5 or worse will Lavin just resign and have Whitesell take over for the remainder of the year on an interim basis and tryout for head coach? This will provide some stability transition for the program. I'm hoping At least that this team rebound and make a tournament run....
I doubt he would leave $$ on the table nor SJU pay him out, but that's just me.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 12:38:06 PM »
We've fired a coach mid-season before. It didn't end well. St.John's wanted Lavin, and now, they have to take their medicine. The only real losers in all of this is the fans. Every March we get nada, and that won't change this year w out Jordan. 

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 12:53:08 PM »
It is a perfect set up, nothing new on an extension, only one recruit for next year, A lot of Seniors are graduating, CO will be gone after this year, Jordan is probably already gone. The signs of a coaching change seems imminent at this point. The question is if SJU starts 0-5 or worse will Lavin just resign and have Whitesell take over for the remainder of the year on an interim basis and tryout for head coach? This will provide some stability transition for the program. I'm hoping At least that this team rebound and make a tournament run....
I doubt he would leave $$ on the table nor SJU pay him out, but that's just me.
I don't think he leaves in the middle of the season unless everything falls apart, but I also think he is probably gone and the new President didn't hire him either. The President came here to fix SJU and paying a coach over a million dollars a year who very well may very well just make one tournament appearance, has recruting issues and player issues every year that he was hear, doesn't seem to make much sense...
I for one was hoping Lavin would stick around get solid recruits for next year and have a great year this year...This still may happen but it looks like we are heading for a tailspin.
Cougar O' Malley

Moose

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 12:58:27 PM »
I hope he coaches his ass off for THIS team and THESE seniors but at the end of the year mutually parts ways.  Say you're burned out.  Say you want to spend time with your family out West.  But give these seniors everything you have.  No matter what happens him or a new coach will have to recruit in the spring.  We will have lots of PT to offer just like when Lavin was hired.  Hope a new coach approaches it better and builds a roster as opposed to taking anyone with a pulse.
Remember who broke the Slice news

cjfish

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
Too bad...LAVIN was having a good coaching year and had the kids playing great.  Im reduced to hoping ADR gets eligible so we have someone who can score on the bench.  Of course, redshirting him would be smarter.  If you recruit kids with marginal grades and/or emotional problems you get what you pay for.....but even so, this is unbelievable.  The team will have to play great to get to 10-8 in the league, which is the minimum they will need to qualify for the torney.

jr49

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 01:51:17 PM »
I seriously don't understand how we have like 15 players on the roster and can only get 4 minutes from our bench on just 2 days rest. Are we recruiting D2 players or something?
Outside of walkons staff stopped recruiting legit players 2 years ago. A plan for 2015 is bogus. A plan is fine, but you don't stop recruiting good players. Just started getting nasty about the job the staff has done, but whats worse then leaving your team without players. Fans were not told games are free until 2015. Why did the staff stop working? Guys are playing 40 because outside of the starters no one else can play. Being minus a player can happen for a lot of reasons. Missing 4 three star players is neglect. If 2015 doesn't work out, the program will be dead for 3 years at best. Maybe the school is happy with the Fox money, so why work. 

jr49

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 01:57:14 PM »
Too bad...LAVIN was having a good coaching year and had the kids playing great. Im reduced to hoping ADR gets eligible so we have someone who can score on the bench. Of course, redshirting him would be smarter. If you recruit kids with marginal grades and/or emotional problems you get what you pay for.....but even so, this is unbelievable. The team will have to play great to get to 10-8 in the league, which is the minimum they will need to qualify for the torney.
If our guys squeeze out 6 wins they deserve a party. NY is once again the place teams come if they need a road win. The rest of the league never stopped recruiting. 

paultzman

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 02:00:42 PM »
I hope he coaches his ass off for THIS team and THESE seniors but at the end of the year mutually parts ways. Say you're burned out. Say you want to spend time with your family out West. But give these seniors everything you have. No matter what happens him or a new coach will have to recruit in the spring. We will have lots of PT to offer just like when Lavin was hired. Hope a new coach approaches it better and builds a roster as opposed to taking anyone with a pulse.
Spot on

Foad

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 02:15:50 PM »
Outside of walkons staff stopped recruiting legit players 2 years ago. A plan for 2015 is bogus. A plan is fine, but you don't stop recruiting good players. Just started getting nasty about the job the staff has done, but whats worse then leaving your team without players. Fans were not told games are free until 2015. Why did the staff stop working? Guys are playing 40 because outside of the starters no one else can play. Being minus a player can happen for a lot of reasons. Missing 4 three star players is neglect. If 2015 doesn't work out, the program will be dead for 3 years at best. Maybe the school is happy with the Fox money, so why work.

To Rothstein Lavin said that he's isn't concerned about winning and also that recruiting is the least of his worries. That means he cares about recruiting less than he cares about winning, which he doesn't care about at all.