Best Game v. Duke since Looie

• 19 replies

Tha Kid

Best Game v. Duke since Looie
« on: January 20, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »
These are definitely the only 4 in contention...what do people think?  As great as 2003 was, I have to go with 2000 - ended Duke's huge non conf. winning streak at home, and really cemented the Johnnies as a force to be reckoned with (until the NCAA f'ed with us).
"I drink and I know things"

Re: Best Game v. Duke since Looie
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 05:37:09 PM »
99 although a loss it was great! I can remember being in a sold out Garden sitting in the last row all the way at the top.

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 05:50:23 PM »
99 although a loss it was great! I can remember being in a sold out Garden sitting in the last row all the way at the top.
Didnt go to that game. Still dont know why. Cant believe that was so many years ago.Just watched the game again. On Youtube. you guys should check it out. Refs killed us with fouls.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:11:58 PM »
Didnt go to that game. Still dont know why. Cant believe that was so many years ago.Just watched the game again. On Youtube. you guys should check it out. Refs killed us with fouls.
"If all else fails, blame the refs."   ;D

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:53:41 PM »
I never Blane the refs.  I think 4 of our guys fouled out including attest , postel, our center and maybe Jessie . Not always the refs but it was on that game . If we are allowed to play we have a chance Sunday . That is our only chance . If we get in foul trouble early, Game over .

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:59:13 PM »
I never Blane the refs.  I think 4 of our guys fouled out including attest , postel, our center and maybe Jessie . Not always the refs but it was on that game . If we are allowed to play we have a chance Sunday . That is our only chance . If we get in foul trouble early, Game over .
They should have reffed it like a Beast game. Instead, the Krybaby got his way that day - lol

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 07:05:11 PM »
Funny story about the '99 game. That week Bootsy walked into the athletics office and was joking around how he was getting no love from the media. He said he was going to do something special that Duke game.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 07:48:26 PM »
Watched that Youtube video a few times already. Even saved it on my computer.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:43:05 PM »
Does any one have the game from 2000 online? i have been trying to find without success.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 10:09:08 PM »
Hatten for me.

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
Does any one have the game from 2000 online? i have been trying to find without success.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/st-johns-stuns-no-2-duke/

Poison

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 11:20:38 PM »
The best played game was 2011. We beat the shit out of Duke. The most thrilling was 99. The 01 game wasn't much different than any other STJ game that year, but Hatten had magic at the end. Guys like Glover, Cuffe and Ingram chipped too if I recall correctly.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 12:29:28 AM »

LOL

Kid, I believe he wanted to see the game online (ie, You Tube).  I've never seen it on You  I, actually recorded that game.  I packed up a box and milk crate of VHS tapes when I moved a few years ago.  I haven't seen the game in years.  I may have to dust it off and watch it one of these days.

Tha Kid

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 07:07:05 AM »

LOL

Kid, I believe he wanted to see the game online (ie, You Tube).  I've never seen it on You  I, actually recorded that game.  I packed up a box and milk crate of VHS tapes when I moved a few years ago.  I haven't seen the game in years.  I may have to dust it off and watch it one of these days.

Whoops misread on my part.   Could have sworn he said "info from"! My bad 89.

Yep I know we have a VHS at my dads house somewhere.  Biggest regular season celebration at my house for a st johns win I can remember...until the game long celebration when we killed uconn in the BE final (though that's not really regular season).

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 07:11:23 AM »
For those of you picking the hatten game, love to know why that over the 2000 win? Is it because you were there for it, remember it being more unexpected, more memorable with the free throw, the crazy comeback, etc? Not arguing by any means just love to know.

Sadly I was not at any of the 1999 (my sister got to go, I went to the uconn game), 2000, or 2003 (watched at duke in a room that very quickly turned against me...was pretty awesome) games...but the 2011 win was a BLAST so I can only imagine what the scene was for the 2003 game.

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 07:59:17 AM »
The best was the 2000 game.  How often do we break a win streak of a 125 games against non conference and non top 25 teams. I have the whole week on tape.  We beat Syracuse,  Uconn, then Duke all in one week.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:59 AM »
For those of you picking the hatten game, love to know why that over the 2000 win? Is it because you were there for it, remember it being more unexpected, more memorable with the free throw, the crazy comeback, etc? Not arguing by any means just love to know.

Sadly I was not at any of the 1999 (my sister got to go, I went to the uconn game), 2000, or 2003 (watched at duke in a room that very quickly turned against me...was pretty awesome) games...but the 2011 win was a BLAST so I can only imagine what the scene was for the 2003 game.

I went to the 03 game in MSG. I was able to see in vivid detail the look on the faces of all of those pathetic Duke fans who actually drove up to NYC to go to this game. And also, of course, to  go to the Empire State Building, Times Square and the Statue of Liberty.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 08:48:32 AM »
After Robin Ventura Grand Slam Single game, Bootsy game was the 2nd best game I have attended in person in any sport. Sold out, though crowd was about 50/50. Energy in building was great. Shane Battier flop game. The NBA flop rule was basically put in becuase of Battier and it was never more evident than this game. For weeks after I would be watching a basketball game and whenever someone drove into the lane I would wince becuase I was expecting Battier to flop even though he wasn't even playing. True story.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 09:03:04 AM »
After Robin Ventura Grand Slam Single game, Bootsy game was the 2nd best game I have attended in person in any sport. Sold out, though crowd was about 50/50. Energy in building was great. Shane Battier flop game. The NBA flop rule was basically put in becuase of Battier and it was never more evident than this game. For weeks after I would be watching a basketball game and whenever someone drove into the lane I would wince becuase I was expecting Battier to flop even though he wasn't even playing. True story.

We have something in common I was at both of those games aswell. And they rank top two all time in games ive attended

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 09:43:48 AM »

We have something in common I was at both of those games aswell. And they rank top two all time in games ive attended

I did not go to any of the postseason games in 86 or 88 but Ventura game and after Chavez catch was the only two times I felt Shea actually rock. Stands were moving.