Marquette Game (H) - Player of the Game

• 27 replies

desco80

Marquette Game (H) - Player of the Game
« on: January 21, 2015, 10:09:50 PM »
Dom, he had a few ugly turnovers, but 15pts, 12rebs, 6ast, 6blocks, and 2 steals ...he certainly filled up the Stat sheetc tonight. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:12:52 PM by desco80 »

Re: Marquette Game (H) - Player of the Game
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:15:02 PM »
Dom, no debate.

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:29:06 PM »
Wow, while at the game, I didn't realize Dom had such great numbers across the board.   I guess I will give it to him.

Special Kudos to Rysheed for the backdoor pass to Dom for the slam; and to Phil for getting free for the breakaway dunk at the end.  The guys came up big at the end.

By the way, at one point in the 2nd half, Carlino was draining threes with Dlo being unable to keep up with him coming off double screens.  Lavin switched Dom over to him and Carlino was shut down the rest of the way.  Dom's defense was as important as his offensive numbers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:35:19 PM by simplyred »

desco80

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:50 PM »
Wow, while at the game, I didn't realize Dom had such great numbers across the board.   I guess I will give it to him.

Special Kudos to Rysheed for the backdoor pass to Dom for the slam; and to Phil for getting free for the breakaway dunk at the end.  The guys came up big at the end.

Granted the last play was a breakaway, but in general Phil has been more aggressive going to the rim in the last two games.  So, credit to him for that.  We've seen less of the fade-away twos from him.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:50 PM »
Lavin switching Dom on Carlino was the difference in the game. No doubt

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 12:13:39 AM »
Dom for his line and for shutting down Carlino after Marquette was killing Harrison on screens to get him open. Didn't get it done against Dom.

Shout out to Branch for playing the best 13 minute game by a PG of all time.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 12:38:53 AM »
Pointer, and by a wide margin.

I will say however, that this was the best game Obekpa played since Long Beach St.  He was very good too, but Dom was player of the game.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 12:42:43 AM »
Dom was terrific, and Jordan was solid. Greene played well, too. Harrison's injury had a dramatic impact on the game, that Marquette was able to stay in a game that they should have been blown out of.

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 01:24:45 AM »
Dom was terrific, and Jordan was solid. Greene played well, too. Harrison's injury had a dramatic impact on the game, that Marquette was able to stay in a game that they should have been blown out of.

We aren't that good where we will be blowing out BE teams even with a healthy Harrison

Poison

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 01:44:24 AM »

We aren't that good where we will be blowing out BE teams even with a healthy Harrison

Tonight is a blowout w a healthy Harrison. He was the weak link tonight. He's certsinly entitled, but we need him desperately.

Tiger

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 06:53:50 AM »
How serious is this injury?  He's been noticeably impaired for what, two games?  When will we hear that he is in a walking cast after visiting the Hospital for Special Surgery?  As a St. Johns fan, I am conditioned to expect the worst.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 07:05:39 AM »
Thought Rysheed was the key in the second half, those two threes and the incredible and 1 were difference makers. Dom played phenomenal, but I take away points for that boneheaded offensive goal tending call in the first half. Branch's shot was going in lol.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 09:20:48 AM »
Obviously Dom but Branch gave a real nice spark when we fell down by 8. I thought his play during that stretch was the turning point 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:21:52 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 10:10:56 AM »
Dom obviously.

I know Branch played very limited minutes, but he's our only true PG. I'd like to see him play about 20 min/game.  He had 4 assists in only 13 min.  He can set-up Jordan and Harrison.  Jordan is at his best when he's off the ball.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
Dom obviously.

I know Branch played very limited minutes, but he's our only true PG. I'd like to see him play about 20 min/game.  He had 4 assists in only 13 min.  He can set-up Jordan and Harrison.  Jordan is at his best when he's off the ball.

The problem is you only have 3 guys that can create their own shot on the whole team. So when Branch plays you are taking out Phil, Jordan or Harrison and that leaves you with only 2 guys that can score.

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 10:30:31 AM »
Dom obviously.

The problem is you only have 3 guys that can create their own shot on the whole team. So when Branch plays you are taking out Phil, Jordan or Harrison and that leaves you with only 2 guys that can score.
Sadly true. Branch just can't score & this team is so limited offensively you just can't give him big minutes. Know he is only one resembling a PG on team, but he can't shoot at all. Used to pull for him getting more time, but can't make a case for that any longer.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 10:36:58 AM »
Dom obviously.

Sadly true. Branch just can't score & this team is so limited offensively you just can't give him big minutes. Know he is only one resembling a PG on team, but he can't shoot at all. Used to pull for him getting more time, but can't make a case for that any longer.

And it is not only lack of scoring, Branch is not even a threat. Pointer makes the most of whatever opportunities he gets but he is not guarded on the perimeter and either is Branch. This is also the reason that playing Felix is useless as he does not present a threat to shoot either.

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 11:04:34 AM »
I know missed a few jumpers by a yards this year. But I still think he has the ability to score more.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 11:07:50 AM »
I know missed a few jumpers by a yards this year. But I still think he has the ability to score more.

To quote JR Smith"To score, you have to shoot more"
He doesn't even look at the basket on the perimeter. Not a criticism of him as he is playing to his limitations, it is just as several have pointed out on a team that needs scoring it is tough to put him out there for long stretches. He is a solid backup point guard. 15 minutes seems right.

paultzman

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 11:55:37 AM »

To quote JR Smith"To score, you have to shoot more"
He doesn't even look at the basket on the perimeter. Not a criticism of him as he is playing to his limitations, it is just as several have pointed out on a team that needs scoring it is tough to put him out there for long stretches. He is a solid backup point guard. 15 minutes seems right.
Yup