Head coaches Post Louie

• 63 replies
Head coaches Post Louie
« on: February 04, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »
I have it this way
1. Jarvis-don't care how he left the program or his last year and a half. Elite 8 was my favorite team post Louie and for some of the younger posters probably your all time favorite Johnnie team. Forget the annoying accent and pompous attitude, his best two teams were fun to watch and it might be the last time we win an NCAA tourney game, maybe ever.

2.Fran-If he wasn't crazy I think he would have had a real nice run here. His recruiting paved the way for the Elite 8 team and his first two years were as good as Lavin's 5 year run.

3. Lavin edges out Mahoney for simply removing the Norm stink for one year anyway

4. Mahoney- His first two years are actually better than Lavin's. Took a team of Louie's bench guys to NCAA, won BE coach of the year, then followed that up with the best recruiting class in school history. Rank him under Lavin becuase he did a little less with even better talent than Lavin.

5.Norm was a disaster
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:10:14 AM by we are sju »

Re: Head coaches Post Louie
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:21:02 AM »
Funny, as time goes by Norm era still annoys me but Mahoney I am starting to think got sort of a raw deal. I mean at the time I thought he was awful, but considering what he accomplished and the little time he was given compared to the people that followed him..... Maybe I would put him over Lavin.

Foad

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 11:22:36 AM »
I have it this way
1. Jarvis-don't care how he left the program or his last year and a half. Elite 8 was my favorite team post Louie and for some of the younger posters probably your all time favorite Johnnie team. Forget the annoying accent and pompous attitude, his best two teams were fun to watch and it might be the last time we win an NCAA tourney game, maybe ever.

2.Fran-If he wasn't crazy I think he would have had a real nice run here. His recruiting paved the way for the Elite 8 team and his first two years were as good as Lavin's 5 year run.

3. Lavin edges out Mahoney for simply removing the Norm stink for one year anyway

4. Mahoney- His first two years are actually better than Lavin's. Took a team of Louie's bench guys to NCAA, won BE coach of the year, then followed that up with the best recruiting class in school history. Rank him under Lavin becuase he did a little less with even better talent than Lavin.

5.Norm was a disaster

This like saying that your least favorite German chancellor was the guy who succeeded Hitler because the economy was bad after WW2 and at least under Hitler we defeated Poland and Hungary. Without Jarvis there would have been no Norm. If the program wasn't humiliated and on probation they wouldn't have hired some dope merely because he had no baggage and they wouldn't have given a single mandate: don't embarrass the university.

I voted for Lavin: because his results are so far below expectations. He was given an unlimited budget and arrived to an atmosphere of limitless good will. All of which he squandered. I wouldn't argue that Norm's results were better, but I don't see any great difference in their coaching ability. And in fact I'd take Norm with Lavin's players and staff over Lavin with Norm's players and staff all day long.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:24:17 AM by Foad »

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:35:13 AM »
I have it this way

5.Norm was a disaster

This like saying that your least favorite German chancellor was the guy who succeeded Hitler because the economy was bad after WW2 and at least under Hitler we defeated Poland and Hungary. Without Jarvis there would have been no Norm. If the program wasn't humiliated and on probation they wouldn't have hired some dope merely because he had no baggage and they wouldn't have given a single mandate: don't embarrass the university.

I voted for Lavin: because his results are so far below expectations. He was given an unlimited budget and arrived to an atmosphere of limitless good will. All of which he squandered. I wouldn't argue that Norm's results were better, but I don't see any great difference in their coaching ability. And in fact I'd take Norm with Lavin's players and staff over Lavin with Norm's players and staff all day long.

I understand your point, but it is college basketball so you can look at it inside a vacuum w/o taking into account things like attempted genocide. Looking strictly at the time they were here, with Norm there was a sense of doom and gloom-apologies to Walt Frazier, that did not exist under any other coach.

So you have Lavin last?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:39:32 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:43:39 AM »
What about Dunlap?

Foad

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
I have it this way

5.Norm was a disaster

I understand your point, but it is college basketball so you can look at it inside a vacuum w/o taking into account things like attempted genocide. Looking strictly at the time they were here, with Norm there was a sense of doom and gloom-apologies to Walt Frazier, that did not exist under any other coach.

So you have Lavin last?

I don't know, they all suck in their own way. Jarvis is definitely last: he inherited an elite 8 team and left a program on probation. I can't get past that. I can't stand Lavin, which as bad as Norm was I at least respected him as a person. His biggest mistake was accepting a job for which he was unqualified. The other two are pretty far receded in my memory. They'd probably be one and two and how can you hate Mahoney? That'd be like hating Wonder bread.

On my hate-o-meter it'd be: Mahoney / Fran / Norm / Lavin / Jarvis.

Basketball wise in a vacuum? Jarvis obviously had the single best team. Mahoney's first year team was probably second, Lavin's first year team third and Fran's first year fourth. No argument that Norm's teams were universally awful and unwatchable except for Hill. I wanted him gone as much as anyone, I just never understood the animosity.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »
It's sad we went decades without switching head coaches and now we have had five probably on the way sic coaches in a little over 20 years. This shows the flaws of an AD and a school president.

The board knocks SJU fans but how can any fan (except diehards) root for an organization that is completely faceless. The last 20 years have been bungled. From the roll out of Redstorm that pissed off the now older alumni and the name Redstorm never really taking off, to the embarrasing off the court incidents, to coaches acting the fool, and a school administration that never made basketball a priority.

I would rank Fran first because he set the house to set up the elite eight run, Lavin second, because we are constantly back above 500 and will make the NIT for the 3rd straight year, low bars but previous coaches could not do that. Lavin will probably leave us in worse shape then Roberts because at least Lavin had a full year to recruit. The rest would be Mahoney, Roberts, and Jarvis. Jarvis will always rank last because of the amount of damage he did to the program.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »
Jarvis also acted like he didn't give a frickity frack during his last season or two.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 02:36:50 PM »
Under Jarvis, we were paying players cash--and the player wasn't even any good. Nuts. Jarvis drove this program into the ground. There is a reason his career went into deep freeze. No viable school would touch him.

goredmen

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 03:07:34 PM »
Jarvis 1st? He was the worst thing that has ever happened to this program. He's a large part of the reason this program has been reduced to being a glorified mid major the past decade

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 04:14:25 PM »
!st is best?

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 04:15:12 PM »
Jarvis 1st? He was the worst thing that has ever happened to this program. He's a large part of the reason this program has been reduced to being a glorified mid major the past decade

Who was last coach to win an NCAA tourney game?
Did you enjoy the Elite 8 team?
If we hire Cal, win the NCAA tourney then go o n probation the next year would you care?

goredmen

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »

Who was last coach to win an NCAA tourney game?
Did you enjoy the Elite 8 team?
If we hire Cal, win the NCAA tourney then go o n probation the next year would you care?

I would care that he left the program devastated by the time he left, which is what Jarvis did. The program is still reeling from the Jarvis era, but one elite 8 was worth it?

Johnny23

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »
I would think Fraschilla by far. Yeah, he rubbed people the wrong way but he was a very good coach and won at a high level. Jarvis inherited and leveraged the success that Fran built. Then Jarvis got cocky and lazy, City HS coaches said they never saw him/staff at any games. He ran the program into the ground.

derk

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »
While we re discussing worst coaches lets not forget the single most negative influence on SJU basketball HARRINGTON

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 10:29:38 AM »
Lavin will get credit for having the two most talented SJU teams to not make the tourney. So he has that going for him.

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »
Jarvis will always rank last because of the amount of damage he did to the program.

Jarvis didn't do the damage to the program....    Fr. Harrington did by being the first school in Big East history to fire a coach during the season. He should have just waited until the end of that year and Jarvis would have had a few good recruits lined up too.

If he doesn't fire Jarvis, the team would have flown home from Pittsburgh that night, no scandal, no kicking Keita off tyhe team and then no whistle blowing...

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »
So you sanction a  coach paying players cash? He devastated our program.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 03:58:45 PM »
So you sanction a  coach paying players cash? He devastated our program.

Baylor had much worse scandal and was in the tourney like 2 years later. If they would have hired anyone else instead of Norm rebuilding would have taken shorter amount of time.

boo3

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
Paying Abe Keita $300 didn't devastate this program..  There has been ample time to fix this thing.. A worthless AD, horrible president, and bad coaching hires that fell flat on their faces...  That is what did the program in..