Zach B Article on Dom

• 20 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Zach B Article on Dom
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:52:19 AM »
Very interesting.  Can't imagine how this season would have gone had Dom not turned it around or redshirted.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 09:00:24 AM »
The staff of 16 couldn't help? Kudos to Dom,Realizing that and looking elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:00:47 AM by Marco Baldi »

Tha Kid

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 09:10:14 AM »
The staff of 16 couldn't help? Kudos to Dom,Realizing that and looking elsewhere.

Cmon baldi we have our best team in years AND Dom credited the staff in the article.  Save it for after the season.
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:14:52 AM »
Post article says Dom suggested he redshirt. Earlier in the season when Dom started playing better Lavin said in the Daily News that he suggested to Dom that he redshirt and that that suggestion was what gave Pointer the motivation to improve his game. Alternate headline: Coach with narcissistic personality disorder throws player under bus, takes unwarranted credit for player improvement. Below the fold obviously.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 09:16:07 AM »
The staff gets credit even if they don't deserve as much as they are getting. Keith Thomas was supposed to the PF. Then it was Christian Jones. After that mess, Pointer got his chance. He's the one who embraced the role. He's the one who stepped up when the team needed him too.

Last year, I watched in horror as Pointer went up like he was Avery Patterson only to blow two wide open layups. The idea of playing him at the four was terrifying, but Dom out together one of the all time great seasons at St.John's.

Good for you Dom.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
Post article says Dom suggested he redshirt. Earlier in the season when Dom started playing better Lavin said in the Daily News that he suggested to Dom that he redshirt and that that suggestion was what gave Pointer the motivation to improve his game. Alternate headline: Coach with narcissistic personality disorder throws player under bus, takes unwarranted credit for player improvement. Below the fold obviously.

Where has Lavin taken credit for Dom's improvement? It seems to me that he's just as shock as we are.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 09:19:50 AM »

That is not what he said, read the article objectively. I am brought into successful companies to help with certain challenges, that doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing but need another perspective as an example. Context Baldi

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 09:22:37 AM »

Cmon baldi we have our best team in years AND Dom credited the staff in the article.  Save it for after the season.

I give the kids all the credit in the world. Staff, not so much

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »

That is not what he said, read the article objectively. I am brought into successful companies to help with certain challenges, that doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing but need another perspective as an example. Context Baldi
Read between the lines. This article is fantastic

Foad

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 09:27:51 AM »
Where has Lavin taken credit for Dom's improvement? It seems to me that he's just as shock as we are.

Rubin: "Yet all this success might be rooted in the very idea Pointer wouldn’t be there. After the poor junior campaign, Lavin discussed what it would take to get Pointer to reach his potential and slipped in the idea of redshirting this season. It was the only time the idea came up between them because Pointer responded by pouring himself into offseason training."

Horse's mouth:

“It was a challenge because in reality I knew Dom would not end up redshirting,” Lavin said. “But I wanted to send a message that if you’re not calibrated the right way and beginning to perform closer to your potential then a redshirt year is something we could look at. He went to work and has come back in the best condition of his career and has added various tools and skills that have elevated his play.”

Again, Pointer says he suggested redshirting. Lavin says he suggested it and it led to Pointer's improvement.

Pete88

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 09:51:24 AM »

After your 14,000 posts, I'm starting to get the feeling you don't like Lavin and staff. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:52:10 AM by Pete88 »

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 09:54:09 AM »
If Keith Thomas was on this team he'd be playing the 4 along side Obekpa with Amar & Jones rotating in.

Branch, Jordan, Harrison, Greene would be rotation 1-3.

I could see why they'd want save Pointer and pair him up with Briscoe, Sampson, Diallo, etc. Heading into preseason that plan makes a lot of sense.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »

After your 14,000 posts, I'm starting to get the feeling you don't like Lavin and staff. 

Glad I'm able to get my point across

Poison

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 10:19:43 AM »

Rubin: "Yet all this success might be rooted in the very idea Pointer wouldn’t be there. After the poor junior campaign, Lavin discussed what it would take to get Pointer to reach his potential and slipped in the idea of redshirting this season. It was the only time the idea came up between them because Pointer responded by pouring himself into offseason training."

Horse's mouth:

“It was a challenge because in reality I knew Dom would not end up redshirting,” Lavin said. “But I wanted to send a message that if you’re not calibrated the right way and beginning to perform closer to your potential then a redshirt year is something we could look at. He went to work and has come back in the best condition of his career and has added various tools and skills that have elevated his play.”

Again, Pointer says he suggested redshirting. Lavin says he suggested it and it led to Pointer's improvement.

I'm no Lavin apologist but this seems like you're grasping at straws. Lavin doesn't assume blame for anything which I find aggravating, but that said, most coaches don't. If Coach K or Jim Calhoun said they made a mistake regarding strategy, it makes them seem more human.

If an average or in our case slightly above coach does that, it opens a door for every critic to raise their hand and agree wholeheartedly. I see why he doesn't do it, even though Id like him, too.

With Dom, who knows who's idea the redshirt was? That really doesn't matter to me. Dom gets most of the credit IMO for Dom's improvement. But that doesn't mean the coach gets none.

Lavin had no intention playing Dom at the 4, but he had too, and he got lucky. If he needs to sell that to public as an epiphany, it's fine with me because recruits are listening.

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
I'm shocked Baldi or FOAD didn't quote this part.

"Pointer gives Russotti a lot of credit, but also says his dad deserves plenty, too, his biggest fan and harshest critic, who never accepted anything but excellence, always there to encourage him. The St. John’s coaching staff is right there, especially assistant coach Rico Hines. They never lost faith.

“The coaches here are the reason I’m this good,” he said."
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 10:45:25 AM »

Horse's mouth:

I'm no Lavin apologist but this seems like you're grasping at straws. Lavin doesn't assume blame for anything which I find aggravating, but that said, most coaches don't. If Coach K or Jim Calhoun said they made a mistake regarding strategy, it makes them seem more human.

If an average or in our case slightly above coach does that, it opens a door for every critic to raise their hand and agree wholeheartedly. I see why he doesn't do it, even though Id like him, too.

With Dom, who knows who's idea the redshirt was? That really doesn't matter to me. Dom gets most of the credit IMO for Dom's improvement. But that doesn't mean the coach gets none.

Lavin had no intention playing Dom at the 4, but he had too, and he got lucky. If he needs to sell that to public as an epiphany, it's fine with me because recruits are listening.

I think every coach in America would have explored those opportunities. I really don't see anywhere to give blame or credit. It just is what it is.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 11:52:24 AM »

Horse's mouth:

So Pointer and Lavin contradict one another and Lavin is the narcissist? Perhaps Dom is the one that is embellishing. Whatever the case is I'm happy for Dom. He may be playing himself into the second round. 

Foad

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 12:06:16 PM »

Horse's mouth:

So Pointer and Lavin contradict one another and Lavin is the narcissist? Perhaps Dom is the one that is embellishing.

Pointer said that he suggested redshirting because his play was not up to par. That's hardly embellishing. Lavin said his suggestion fueled Pointer's play. That is embellishing. This is the same coach who said last year that his team's late season resurgence was lesson's learned when he started the walk on at Georgetown - why the lesson didn't kick in until two weeks later versus an Ivy League opponent was not explained. Lavin's statement is the reverse side of the coin that forces him to deflect blame for everything. It's all part of his disorder.

TONYD3

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 12:09:49 PM »
What kind of drugs is the FOAD on?