Do you want to see small ball?

• 84 replies

Poison

Re: Do you want to see small ball?
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2015, 08:07:52 PM »
I've seen Felix, fundamentally, be a good rebounder. He boxes out, and he has great hops. He also brings a lot of hustle. Any opposing big man who brings the ball below his head could be subject to a steal by Felix' quick hands.

That being said, no major minutes.

I agree regarding the rebounding. But I think we're talking about a handful of rebounds. People keep saying he's quick. What is he quick to? He doesn't dribble well, pass well or have a quick jumper. I don't recall him coming up w a loose ball last year. All I remember is Felix bricking wide open layups. I'd love nothing more than to see him shock us all the way Dom did, but Dom's athletic ability was in a different class. That's not Felix. Not even close. A much better comparison might be Cedric Jackson freshman year.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:08:17 PM by Poison »

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2015, 08:44:39 PM »
Has there been any indication from Mullin on defensive scheme? 

Yes,  I heard he wants to play it like Golden State and Run tmc.  No defense.

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2015, 10:13:25 PM »
I've seen Felix, fundamentally, be a good rebounder. He boxes out, and he has great hops. He also brings a lot of hustle. Any opposing big man who brings the ball below his head could be subject to a steal by Felix' quick hands.

but Dom's athletic ability was in a different class. That's not Felix. Not even close.

Disagree. Hasnt had the chances or perhaps the willingness to show it but Felix is a super athlete.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kjd01067

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2015, 06:20:12 AM »
Everyone keeps saying that we only have 3 bigs on the roster... what about Christian Jones??? I am far from his biggest fan, but I believe he can be serviceable. He spent all of last year in Lavin's doghouse and never looked comfortable. I'm hoping Mullin can figure out a way to utilize him because I think he has a little potential.

Poison

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2015, 08:32:43 AM »
Everyone keeps saying that we only have 3 bigs on the roster... what about Christian Jones??? I am far from his biggest fan, but I believe he can be serviceable. He spent all of last year in Lavin's doghouse and never looked comfortable. I'm hoping Mullin can figure out a way to utilize him because I think he has a little potential.

Maybe he can be serviceable, but it looks like he doesn't try.

Wods317

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2015, 09:15:20 AM »

His lack of assertiveness has bothered me more then anything. It seems like he does has some skill but for a guy with such a large frame he gets pushed around a lot and doesn't seem to go after rebounds and lose balls like a big man should. Some of it might be due to lack of confidence because of how his career here has gone. I think if Mullin can light a fire under him and get his confidence up he has the skill to be good option off the bench. We have yet to see him develop the killer instinct but lets see what a new staff can do with him.

paultzman

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »
Re Jones: Some guys have the fire & some don't. Lighting it for the latter fails more often than not. Unfortunately Christian also seems to lack the basketball instincts & smarts that successful guys his size, like Billy Singleton, Tyrone Grant, etc. had. Hope I am wrong & staff gets him on track.

Poison

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »

His lack of assertiveness has bothered me more then anything. It seems like he does has some skill but for a guy with such a large frame he gets pushed around a lot and doesn't seem to go after rebounds and lose balls like a big man should. Some of it might be due to lack of confidence because of how his career here has gone. I think if Mullin can light a fire under him and get his confidence up he has the skill to be good option off the bench. We have yet to see him develop the killer instinct but lets see what a new staff can do with him.

He's dainty.

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »

Felix is everything Jones isn't.  As I said years ago when I first saw him, Jones has heavy feet and lacks a nose for the ball. I just don't think you can teach that stuff.   It's a shame because, unlike Felix, he does have above average skill.  It doesn't matter if Jones was 6'10, the bottom line is that Balamou is coming down with a 50/50 ball ten out of ten times over or under Christian Jones. 

Felix is a freak athlete that had the misfortune of playing a year behind Dom,  a bigger/better version of himself, and Harrison, the second leading scorer in our program's history, and for a coach that did not respect hustle, rebounding, or playing within one's ability.   I'm not going to write him off until I see how he responds to decent minutes without having to look over his should for fear of being yanked every time he makes a mistake while  Lavin lets Dom dribble the ball at his chin 90 mph for three years. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:48:18 PM by Marillac »

Marillac

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »
Speaking of small ball, look at the roster.  It's immediately apparent these guys are much bigger than last year's squad.  Williams is a beast at 6'8 230.  Johnson looks sturdy at 6'6 205. M'Vouika looks much stronger than his listed 6'6 205.  Amar looks stronger than last year at 6'9 235.  Even Balamou has his weight up to 205 (up 13 pounds!) .

We had two guys over 202 pounds last year that played (Alibegovic and Obekpa) and SEVEN guys that played under 195.   This year we only have two guys that will play that are under 205 (Lovett and Mussini).

I don't see any way Johnson is not All-Big East, and I think Williams will be my favorite player.  Lovett will be the best PG we've had in years from day one if he's eligible...and I write that knowing we'll want to ring his neck have the season for mistakes and being too flashy.

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2015, 02:12:46 PM »

but Dom's athletic ability was in a different class. That's not Felix. Not even close.

Disagree. Hasnt had the chances or perhaps the willingness to show it but Felix is a super athlete.

He is a good athlete but severely offensively challenged.  He is very much like Cedric.

Poison

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2015, 02:28:21 PM »
Speaking of small ball, look at the roster.  It's immediately apparent these guys are much bigger than last year's squad.  Williams is a beast at 6'8 230.  Johnson looks sturdy at 6'6 205. M'Vouika looks much stronger than his listed 6'6 205.  Amar looks stronger than last year at 6'9 235.  Even Balamou has his weight up to 205 (up 13 pounds!) .

We had two guys over 202 pounds last year that played (Alibegovic and Obekpa) and SEVEN guys that played under 195.   This year we only have two guys that will play that are under 205 (Lovett and Mussini).

I don't see any way Johnson is not All-Big East, and I think Williams will be my favorite player.  Lovett will be the best PG we've had in years from day one if he's eligible...and I write that knowing we'll want to ring his neck have the season for mistakes and being too flashy.

Williams is a beast. Johnson is All Big East. Not trying to be a dick, but what are you basing this on? Has anyone even seen Williams play?

Don't get me wrong, that would be music to my ears.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:32:57 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2015, 02:36:25 PM »

Felix got his chance last year. When the team was struggling early on in BE play, Lavin gave Felix a chance. I'm not a believer in all things Lavin. He made plenty of mistakes along the way, but overall, he played the guys who he should have played. Phil Greene wasn't the best point guard. Ok, he wasn't a good point guard at all, but there wasn't anyone else.

I don't see any scenario where Felix sat because a lesser player was out there. Felix sat because Felix wasn't helping the team win. He played defense. He hustled. He didn't shoot, pass, dribble, drive or finish well at any point during his 200+ minutes last year that I recall.

Cedric Jackson pre-Cleveland State is an appropriate comparison. Clearly, Cedric worked his butt off. Let's see what Felix brings to the table this year. I would love nothing more than to see him shock us all with a strong senior season.

Marillac

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2015, 03:26:54 PM »

Williams is a beast. Johnson is All Big East. Not trying to be a dick, but what are you basing this on? Has anyone even seen Williams play?

He's 6'8 230 and jacked...hence beast.  What would you label someone that big?

As for Johnson, I love his game and I am 100% confident he will be worthy of all-league honors if he stays healthy.  Nothing else I can do...I've made and won bets in the past based on predictions which nobody ever pays and brought up old posts, but you'll just have to take this for what it is...one poster's opinion.  If I'm wrong, I'll refund your money.

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2015, 06:29:11 PM »
I used to drink the Christian Jones Kool-Aid, but I don't know what his deal is. If you could take his physique and combine with Felix' attitude and athleticism, that would be something. Imagine if Jones would box out, jump through the ceiling, hustle and dive for loose balls...Oh well.

Felix will not be playing mad minutes in the front court. But if he does, it's because he earned the minutes.

« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »

As for Johnson, I love his game and I am 100% confident he will be worthy of all-league honors if he stays healthy.  Nothing else I can do...I've made and won bets in the past based on predictions which nobody ever pays and brought up old posts, but you'll just have to take this for what it is...one poster's opinion.  If I'm wrong, I'll refund your money.
I've loved Durand's game since AAU days.  He's gonna be good. Intense competitor with a good all around skill set.  As for CJ, he was not a bad guy for Lavin to take a chance on with a schollie , but once he got him in practice he claimed he was the best player in the class, which included Jak, Obekpa, and Sanchez.  Then we got a chance to see him play.  That's when I knew Lavin wasn't a basketball guy.

Gumby

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2015, 09:02:49 PM »
Not sure how any one can say that CJ has above average skills. Coach Lavin's boast of CJ's skills are probably one of his most mysterious quotes while he was here.   CJ clearly has not demonstrated those skills. He is who he is.

We can only hope that both CJ and Felix give it all when called on this season.  They both seem like good kids. We could use their contributions whatever that might be.  I think we should not expect too much from either player, but hope that we are all surprised.

Poison

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2015, 09:04:28 PM »

I hope you're right. All I was asking is if it was a blind guess, or if you had actually seen what he can do? Sure, you could be right, but don't you think it's just a bit presumptuous to call Williams (Or anyone) a beast just based on height and weight?

But hey, if you're right, I'll be sure to give you your props even if I have no idea how you predicted this one.

And Johnson All BE?? Marillac, he averaged 8.8 ppg with a .405 shooting percentage as a sophomore at Pitt. If he's All BE that would be stunning. If he's 3rd team, that would be stunning.

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2015, 10:18:11 PM »

I hope you're right. All I was asking is if it was a blind guess, or if you had actually seen what he can do? Sure, you could be right, but don't you think it's just a bit presumptuous to call Williams (Or anyone) a beast just based on height and weight?

But hey, if you're right, I'll be sure to give you your props even if I have no idea how you predicted this one.

And Johnson All BE?? Marillac, he averaged 8.8 ppg with a .405 shooting percentage as a sophomore at Pitt. If he's All BE that would be stunning. If he's 3rd team, that would be stunning.

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=9689.0

From your own thread Poison  ;)
"Johnson - 15.5 ppg, 4.5 boards and 2 assists"
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2015, 11:29:47 PM »

That ain't All Big East. That's a good player, and a lot of wishful thinking

Yes, I'm hopeful he'll have a surprisingly good year, but All BE? No, that's too much to ask of any player. It would be a thrill if it happens, but it's asking a helluva lot. I'm expecting him to score, but I don't know his shooting percentage would go up from the .405 he shot as a sophomore, now that he'll have less talent and experience around him.