Big East Media Day

• 33 replies

Poison

Big East Media Day
« on: October 14, 2015, 09:31:57 AM »
The coaches have picked us to finish last. We get no respect I tell ya.

Re: Big East Media Day
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 09:55:28 AM »
Makes it easy to overachieve
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
We have them right where we want them
"I drink and I know things"

Wods317

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
I can't blame the coaches for picking us last because we have so many new faces and it's hard to predict. That being said I don't see us finishing last especially if we have Lovett. If we have Yakwe we will be even better but that's not something we expect to see this year. Once we know the full roster you can better predict but as long as both Lovett and Yakwe aren't ineligible then we will not finish last in my opinion.

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 10:27:55 AM »
Much rather than the underdog role over the favorite role anyday. The Johnnies will surprise many this year.

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »
Transitional year. With LoVett, team would at least be fun to watch.  Without him, ever more challenging. For me, this season aside, the big picture appears bright for long term stability & success.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:34:23 AM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 10:56:27 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: St. John's insult: Picked to finish last in Big East: http://t.co/VXlHs3dxGB #sjubb

Poison

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »
Transitional year. With LoVett, team would at least be fun to watch.  Without him, ever more challenging. For me, this season aside, the big picture appears bright for long term stability & success.

It's a transitional year, but it doesn't matter what happens, there's no way to put a positive spin on last place. The staff brought LoVett in, and he needs to be eligible, because if they win 8 games recruits aren't going to see a HOFer, and basketball savant when Mullin calls on them.

paultzman

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 11:15:36 AM »

It's a transitional year, but it doesn't matter what happens, there's no way to put a positive spin on last place. The staff brought LoVett in, and he needs to be eligible, because if they win 8 games recruits aren't going to see a HOFer, and basketball savant when Mullin calls on them.

I have previously noted my expectation of around 15 wins, without LoVett, less. So don't feel I am spinning. I just believe staff has made inroads in 16 & 17 classes which will really be a plus. If team fails to be very competitive next season, I won't be happy either.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:16:59 AM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 11:23:36 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Chris Mullin reiterates plans to play Federico Mussini and Marcus LoVett Jr together at times in backcourt. #sjubb

@hooplove215: Chris Mullin said he loves freshman Malik Ellison (Life Center Academy). New St. John's coach noted he has great composure for a freshman.

@NYPost_Brazille: Ron M'Vouika on #sjubb picked last: "It gives us fire."
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:26:00 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 11:28:44 AM »
Hardly any of us have actually seen our players so it's hard to predict how good/bad we'll be.  Mullin says we'll live with the results.  That doesn't bode well for us.

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 11:31:44 AM »
@rumbleSBN: Ron Mvouika on SJU style of play: "Lots of freedom, run n' gun, NBA style. I think we're going to be one of most exciting teams to watch."

Poison

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 11:51:42 AM »
Hardly any of us have actually seen our players so it's hard to predict how good/bad we'll be.  Mullin says we'll live with the results.  That doesn't bode well for us.

That's what he should say. No reason to tell everyone to watch out for St.John's. Expectations will be at their very lowest this season.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Chris Mullin reiterates plans to play Federico Mussini and Marcus LoVett Jr together at times in backcourt. #sjubb

@hooplove215: Chris Mullin said he loves freshman Malik Ellison (Life Center Academy). New St. John's coach noted he has great composure for a freshman.

"Never Nervous jr" seems to have become the forgotten recruit of this class. Really excited to see him play. We just went 4 years without a big perimeter player. This year we will have 3. I think Malik will make quite a mark on this program by the time hes done.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 02:06:46 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Asked Chris Mullin today, is it a slap in the face to be picked last: "Nobody's slapping me in the face." #sjubb

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 02:50:56 PM »
With Lovett, I see 17-18 wins with a chance for more.  I won't even make a prediction if he is not eligible. We're playing with house money this year, but I wouldn't completely write off this group just yet.  Lovett and Ellison should play well beyond their years and two 5th-year transfers have as much experience as anyone in the league.  Williams isn't completely green either. 

I love the slap in the face response from Mullin and the good words on Ellison. 

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 04:04:26 PM »
We were picked last and it wasn't close. We are going to learn plenty about our coach this year .

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 04:24:25 PM »

That's what he should say. No reason to tell everyone to watch out for St.John's. Expectations will be at their very lowest this season.

Agree.

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 04:41:15 PM »
We seem like a team that can reasonably win anywhere between 13-21 games. 21 being absolute ceiling.

NYCoffey

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 05:25:13 PM »
We are the mystery box. Nobody can predict what this team will be this year and it will be fun to see what happens. It's rare to have so many new faces on a team, including the coaching staff, at the same time. Lavins 2nd year was a mystery with all the new players but at least you had a track record of how Lavin Coached. Very interesting year and it will be fun to watch good or bad.