Worst loss ever?

• 40 replies
Worst loss ever?
« on: November 05, 2015, 12:33:15 PM »
I'm searching the caverns of my mind through the thick haze and having a hard time coming up with one worse than a 32 point drubbing at home to a D2 team not picked to win the ECC.

This is a school that yours truly has a 6 and 0 lifetime coaching record against.  And I'm no Knute Rockne.

Let's hear of the other all-time low points.  Perhaps it won't hurt as much if we get it right out into the open.

pmg911

Re: Worst loss ever?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:36:16 PM »
Since its an exhibition game, it doesn't count  - hard to view it as worse loss ever,,,   still embarrassing though

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:38:18 PM »
Definitely the most pathetic loss.

Tha Kid

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 12:39:18 PM »
I'm searching the caverns of my mind through the thick haze and having a hard time coming up with one worse than a 32 point drubbing at home to a D2 team not picked to win the ECC.

This is a school that yours truly has a 6 and 0 lifetime coaching record against.  And I'm no Knute Rockne.

Let's hear of the other all-time low points.  Perhaps it won't hurt as much if we get it right out into the open.

Losing by 28 (to BC) and 34 (at WV) immediately following the Pittsburgh fiasco.   Dropped us to 0-10 in the BE on top of the Pitt incident/suspensions/expulsions/interim coach, etc.  Hard to imagine anything will compare to that, IMO.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 12:46:33 PM »

Losing by 28 (to BC) and 34 (at WV) immediately following the Pittsburgh fiasco.   Dropped us to 0-10 in the BE on top of the Pitt incident/suspensions/expulsions/interim coach, etc.  Hard to imagine anything will compare to that, IMO.

Nope.

28 at home and 34 on road to legit D1 old BE teams doesn't compare to this. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »

Nope.

1st game, exhibition, missing best returning player and best recruit, vs. playing with 4 scholarship players and heading towards worst BE season in program history.

You have your priorities a little mixed up.  Perhaps this squad will give us the worst loss in our history, but it hasnt happened yet and I dont believe it will.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 01:05:49 PM »

Nope.

1st game, exhibition, missing best returning player and best recruit, vs. playing with 4 scholarship players and heading towards worst BE season in program history.

You have your priorities a little mixed up.  Perhaps this squad will give us the worst loss in our history, but it hasnt happened yet and I dont believe it will.

Jones played last night ;)

Worst loss that I can remember was against Maryland at the Garden for preseason NIT. Ricky Torres kept us from losing by 50.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 01:08:24 PM »
I can honestly say, last night was the worst I've ever seen a Division 1 basketball team play.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 01:10:03 PM »

Nope.

I wasn't really looking at situation and circumstance, etc.  I was more looking at the mathematics of the thing.

I'm looking at a 32 point loss; at home; to a D2 school that isn't the best team in their conference.

When Syracuse lost at home to Le Moyne.  They lost by 1.

I don't think it can be topped.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:11:39 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 01:13:19 PM »
Since its an exhibition game, it doesn't count  - hard to view it as worse loss ever,,,   still embarrassing though

It is an embarrassing until we win a game or two.  It won't stick with the program like other embarrassments -- like having players commit serious crimes or hiring Tiny Morton to be an assistant coach. 

Look, I have no idea what happened last night.  But there is no way that these guys can be that bad.  Durand Johnson was recruited by a boatload of big schools.  D. Williams was heading to a legit top program before Hoiberg left, and had plenty of big schools after him.  Ditto for Sima, Musina.  Even Ron M. played for a school that STAC can't touch.

I think the reaction here is a bit overblown.  Let the season play out.  I trust this staff will ultimately get us where we want.  I had some expectations for this year - that we'd at least be semi-competitive - and still think that will be the case.  IMO, no point in getting worked up - set expectations low and go from there. 

ras

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »

It is an embarrassing until we win a game or two.  It won't stick with the program like other embarrassments -- like having players commit serious crimes or hiring Tiny Morton to be an assistant coach. 

Look, I have no idea what happened last night.  But there is no way that these guys can be that bad.  Durand Johnson was recruited by a boatload of big schools.  D. Williams was heading to a legit top program before Hoiberg left, and had plenty of big schools after him.  Ditto for Sima, Musina.  Even Ron M. played for a school that STAC can't touch.

I think the reaction here is a bit overblown.  Let the season play out.  I trust this staff will ultimately get us where we want.  I had some expectations for this year - that we'd at least be semi-competitive - and still think that will be the case.  IMO, no point in getting worked up - set expectations low and go from there. 

Your right. By itself its meaningless. If we turn things around and win Sat and play somewhat competitive during the season, it means nothing. But if we get blown out by Sonoma and Wagner, this is going to be a tough season to stomach. Hopefully Lovett will get cleared, which should help a lot.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 01:35:33 PM »

Nope.

Jones played last night ;)

Worst loss that I can remember was against Maryland at the Garden for preseason NIT. Ricky Torres kept us from losing by 50.
That Maryland loss was horrendous, I agree.  What made it even worse is I paid good money for tickets and I had friends with me.  Embarrassing.  At least this debacle was on ESPN3, so I watched for free.  This game was the worst I can remember...and I started watching this team more than 50 years ago.  Getting blown out going away by a division II team is pretty abysmal.  They're licking their chops at Sonoma State. You can take that to the bank.

boo3

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 02:23:59 PM »
I didn't watch.You know why!  It doesn't count.  Glorified scrimmage.  Get off the ledge.  Who cares?  This happens a lot in the exhibition season, to a lot of teams. 

To be the "worst loss ever", doesn't it have to be an actual loss?   Record is 0-0. Still

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 02:30:08 PM »
I always go back to that Norm game against Maryland when we lost like 120 to 12 or something. Got delayed at Keane's steakhouse. Grabbed a beer, sat down looked up and we were losing 20-2. That game always gets my vote

Foad

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »
I always go back to that Norm game against Maryland when we lost like 120 to 12 or something. Got delayed at Keane's steakhouse. Grabbed a beer, sat down looked up and we were losing 20-2. That game always gets my vote

Phil Greene's graduation was our worst loss ever. Perhaps even college basketball's greatest loss.

Also Villanova 105 SJU 68 on national TV last March with four seniors putting hammer to rock to finish the unfinished business of taking baby steps up the hill or incline on a magic carpet ride to Cosco's. That was a rough afternoon. Also that Tulane beat in the NCAAs kind of sucked. But this was definitely our worst exhibition loss in recent memory.

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 02:51:20 PM »
I didn't watch.You know why!  It doesn't count.  Glorified scrimmage.  Get off the ledge.  Who cares?  This happens a lot in the exhibition season, to a lot of teams. 

To be the "worst loss ever", doesn't it have to be an actual loss?   Record is 0-0. Still

You should go and watch the game and you'll see why there is so much concern.  It was really ugly, regardless the circumstances.

I posted last year on one of the boards that one of the DePaul big men was the worst defensive player (without exaggeration) that I had ever seen.  Last, Darien Williams was worst.  On one play, after a STAAC steal, Williams was back in the lane as the offensive player was coming toward him.  He stood sideways and never got into a defensive position as the guy drove past him for a layup.

Slow reaction, lack of effort on D, and utter confusion were the hallmarks of the night. 

I hesitate to overreact because it was the first college game for many of these players and it is a large cast playing together for the first time. 

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 03:01:59 PM »
The Johnny Flynn game was pretty bad. That was worse.

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »

Phil Greene's graduation was our worst loss ever. Perhaps even college basketball's greatest loss.

Also Villanova 105 SJU 68 on national TV last March with four seniors putting hammer to rock to finish the unfinished business of taking baby steps up the hill or incline on a magic carpet ride to Cosco's. That was a rough afternoon. Also that Tulane beat in the NCAAs kind of sucked. But this was definitely our worst exhibition loss in recent memory.

Agree on all points.

boo3

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 03:10:27 PM »
Losing to LIU in the Lapchick Tourney was worst loss ever...

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »
An exhibition is an exhibition.