Missing Pieces Longer term

• 208 replies

Moose

Re: Missing Pieces Longer term
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 06:17:08 PM »
What are the odds we get all three? What are the odds no other ships open up?  If  nothing opens unfortunately, AA, DW, and maybe CJ if they don.t make progress.  AA needs stronger hands to catch and keep the ball....and consistently avoid silly fouls.  DW  if he's not still recovering needs to be tougher in the middle.  CJ is making great strides but can't really  bang with 6/9 players.

I've only seen Rawlee play. I'm not sure he's a program changer for us. I hope so.  Somehow, I'm less than 50/50 we get him. Obviously, like what I hear about the others but haven't seen them.  I think Bashir is probably my first choice.....not based on much ...other than my gut.

Who's your first, second, third choice?

Your asking my choice for the 3 recruits we are currently after?

Well I feel 2 will definitely be here so then it shifts to Rawle.
Remember who broke the Slice news

hnk

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 06:21:01 PM »
Yes.......I hope you know something...U r very optimistic.

Moose

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 06:37:03 PM »
Yes.......I hope you know something...U r very optimistic.

Ha most people call me negative

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 09:31:41 AM »
What teams in the Big East are filled with wide bodies up front? I'm not sure anyone is getting outmuscled. Lots of good guards on all teams especially Nova, Butler, and X

Gtown, 'quette, hall, x, to name four all have big bodies up front.

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 11:05:35 AM »
What teams in the Big East are filled with wide bodies up front? I'm not sure anyone is getting outmuscled. Lots of good guards on all teams especially Nova, Butler, and X

Gtown, 'quette, hall, x, to name four all have big bodies up front.

I wouldn't consider any of those teams big heavy.

Georgetown- Hayes it took him 4 yrs to get min, Govan is a true big, Paul White is skinny step out 4, Derrickson is your wide body but he's really 6'5
Marquette- Luke Fisher and Henry Ellison are two centers. They're big but only bigs on roster
Seton Hall- Angel Delgado, Ismael Sanogo and Mike Nzei neither weighs 200lbs, and then Desi Rodriquez is your wide bodied 6'5
X- James Farr another big who took 4 yrs to play, Jalen Reynolds who is solid big man

Georgetown might be the biggest team of them all and they're not that big. St. John's with Sima, Yakwe, Jones, Williams, Owens, Alibegovic, Freudenberg will be just as big as anyone.

**I forgot Williams
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:54:39 AM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 11:33:55 AM »
We've all watched the game long enough to know that size is only helpful if it comes with skill and a strong work ethic. Allow me to provide a few examples.

1. Tom Bayne
2. Mike Mennefield
3. Curtis Johnson
4. Mohammed Diakite
5. Dele Coker

All were expected to either contribute right way in the BE or develop into dominant college bigs. Between the 5 of them, I think they had, collectively, 2 good games.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:34:27 AM by Poison »

Johnny23

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 11:48:41 AM »
We've all watched the game long enough to know that size is only helpful if it comes with skill and a strong work ethic. Allow me to provide a few examples.

1. Tom Bayne
2. Mike Mennefield
3. Curtis Johnson
4. Mohammed Diakite
5. Dele Coker

All were expected to either contribute right way in the BE or develop into dominant college bigs. Between the 5 of them, I think they had, collectively, 2 good games.

Quality over quantity. Those names you mentioned were mostly stiffs who did very little in college. Actually none of those guys were that highly rated coming out of HS, I think Coker or Diakite were the highest ranked prospects out of that bunch (high 3 star, low 4 star). I'd like to see the staff target a Top 50 big guy who can actually play, and is skilled as you said.

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 11:53:17 AM »

1. Tom Bayne
2. Mike Mennefield
3. Curtis Johnson
4. Mohammed Diakite
5. Dele Coker

Quality over quantity. Those names you mentioned were mostly stiffs who did very little in college. Actually none of those guys were that highly rated coming out of HS, I think Coker or Diakite were the highest ranked prospects out of that bunch (high 3 star, low 4 star). I'd like to see the staff target a Top 50 big guy who can actually play, and is skilled as you said.

Easier said then done. Bamba (2017) and Reid (2018) are two bigs staff will be all-in on but odds of them coming here are slim. Might be better off going juco route for bigs.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »

1. Tom Bayne
2. Mike Mennefield
3. Curtis Johnson
4. Mohammed Diakite
5. Dele Coker

Mennefield, Coker and Diakite were all ranked right there with other bigs who either worked harder than them, had a higher IQ than them and improved gradually over the years. Some did all 3. We just haven't had a lot of good judgement over the last 20 years with bigs. We chose guys that were basically the same player for 4 years, if they lasted that long.

Sima has broken that trend. He's got obvious potential as a center. I also think Jones has been better this year than we could have imagined. Once he learns when to try and score, and when to find an open man, he'll be very close to what we had with Anthony Glover. And for that matter, Glover had a lot of trouble with that as well. Still, he's playing as aggressively as Glover did, and that's refreshing.

Johnny23

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 12:02:28 PM »

1. Tom Bayne
2. Mike Mennefield
3. Curtis Johnson
4. Mohammed Diakite
5. Dele Coker

Easier said then done. Bamba (2017) and Reid (2018) are two bigs staff will be all-in on but odds of them coming here are slim. Might be better off going juco route for bigs.

Obviously those guys are not going to be easy to land. I agree that the juco route is an option yet don't forget international as well. Gonzaga has one of the best frontcourts in the country with 2/3 of it being from Europe. With the staff's reach, I'm sure they can pluck a somewhat skilled big body from overseas and Canada occassionally.

hnk

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »
Just looking for 6-8 rebounds a game (a few offensive)....good defense....spell Sima when he needs a blow or gets in foul trouble....help clog the middle......and then of course a taller point who could guard a Kris Dunn for a few

Poison

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »
It should be a combination of top rated recruits and guys that will be good or even great players down the road. You've gotta have players in the your program that wait their turn, work at their game, and improve over time. We need some Ty Grants and some Paris Horne types, too. Guys that went under the the radar, and when that top recruit opts for the beautiful pastures and the wildly inspiring cultural Mecca of the Midwest, Kansas, we'll be ok because we'll have an upperclassman ready to step in and play.

hnk

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 12:38:47 PM »
A Mitchell Foster type.

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 12:45:07 PM »
Just looking for 6-8 rebounds a game (a few offensive)....good defense....spell Sima when he needs a blow or gets in foul trouble....help clog the middle......and then of course a taller point who could guard a Kris Dunn for a few

When you have three 6 footers who will all play point you're probably not gonna sign a pt guard whose 6"4 plus. Instead we have a 6'5 guard in Ellison who can defend tall pg's and can help bring the ball up. Then there is always the chance of grabbing Rawle.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

hnk

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2015, 12:50:42 PM »
Most if not all of them are under six feet.

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
Diakite was actually a McD AA, who I don't remember playing a great game. Curtis Johnson I remember playing a great game against Notre Dame at the Garden. The other guys, you're right. Not two good games among all of them.

Moose

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »
Most if not all of them are under six feet.

Measuring tape eh?

No college basketball player listed at 6'0 has ever succeeded.

hnk

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
That's not the point.....but they do tend to do better in Junior High School
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 01:30:06 PM by hnk »

Moose

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »
This kind of reminds of years ago when Bobre wanted a point guard but could never name who he wanted

hnk

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2015, 01:41:52 PM »
Yesterday you were optimistic...today feisty.