Staff Evaluation

• 203 replies

Marillac

Staff Evaluation
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:11:41 PM »
Let's face it, this is a brutal season. Every reasonable poster expected the team to stink without Lovett.  Even with the disappointing losing streak, we are probably near where we should be.  The only valid takeaway from the staff at this point IMO is that that they are not over-the-top excellent.  Other than that there really is nothing that can be said in either direction.  The staff is trying to win gunfights with knives.  Sometimes you can do that but nobody would consistently win with this roster.

I posted in October that the staff should get a complete pass this year.  I fully expected Mullin to walk into something he wasn't ready for a take one on the chin, but I also expected and still expect him to outwork every single coach in the country in the offseason. That is what makes Mullin who he is.  For that reason, Season 2 will be the first read we can get on this staff. 

I think this team will really compete next year. Lovett's skillset and quickness are just insane.  We'll have to see how that translates to the college game in terms of turnovers and being out of control, but nobody will be able to stop him but himself.  Ponds is an elite athlete with a very refined skill set.  He and Ahmed replacing Johnson and M'Vouika will take the athletic ability to the next level. Right now, this is a very unathletic team.  Since the first time I saw Ponds, I noticed he had that special something you don't see often.  Hatten had it.  Ponds has the kind of game where you expect him to play at a very high level in college from day one because he is always under control and already has a capable college-level shot.  Jordan, although incredibly gifted, was very wild. 

I know the board is divided on Mussini, but I am very impressed and thrilled to have him for three more years.  He's an ideal third guard to me.  He picks up enough steals and boards to be able to play in three guard sets and he can play both PG and SG in traditional sets. He's under a lot of pressure as the only capable ball-handler now and that won't be an issue the rest of his time here.

Sima is very steady.  You couldn't draw up a better four year center.  Yakwe is a great complement to him and both play a huge part because former NBA players almost always have less than stellar team defense.  Those two kids will go a long way to making the interior a very inhospitable place and Ponds has the makings of an elite defender if he accepts that role. 

I think Ellison is better suited for backing up the 2 and 3 the next few years before assuming a starting role at one of those spots.  It'd be nice to add some more talent there.  I feel very good about landing Alkins and I think RF would be a very nice complement to Yakwe playing some stretch four as a scorer--perhaps Ahmed as well.   

My only concern is the  commitment to defense and rebounding.  It needs to be who this team is going forward.  Mullin has to break the former NBA player pattern for focusing on points and versatility over d. 

Moose

Re: Staff Evaluation
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 08:24:01 PM »
Great post

Your lips to Gods ears we get 15 out of possible 16 years from the guys you highlighted Mussini Sima Yakwe and Ellison
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:24:43 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 08:25:27 PM »
I give the staff  pass for the year but I'm not impressed yet. Actually I guess I should clarify. I'm not impressed with what I see on the court which hopefully changes next year

Recruiting wise I have no complaints whatsoever with the staff and have been happy in that respect

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 08:42:08 PM »
Agree it's almost impossible to grade this staff on this year's performance. There's really nobody on this team that can create their own shot and nobody that can get other guys good looks. That should change next year and we should get a better idea of the staff's in-game capabilities then.

I think the program is best built for consistent success going forward than it ever has been this century. We are finally building a roster of guys that will be solid 3-4 year players if they stay with the occasional 5th year transfer or JUCO guy to fill a hole and maybe a one-and-done or two-and-done here and there to provide some firepower. Kind of the formula that has been used by successful programs in our own conference like Xavier and Butler and the Iowa State program that Matt A was a huge part of

Poison

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:02:51 PM »
Let's face it, this is a brutal season. Every reasonable poster expected the team to stink without Lovett.  Even with the disappointing losing streak, we are probably near where we should be.  The only valid takeaway from the staff at this point IMO is that that they are not over-the-top excellent.  Other than that there really is nothing that can be said in either direction.  The staff is trying to win gunfights with knives.  Sometimes you can do that but nobody would consistently win with this roster.

I posted in October that the staff should get a complete pass this year.  I fully expected Mullin to walk into something he wasn't ready for a take one on the chin, but I also expected and still expect him to outwork every single coach in the country in the offseason. That is what makes Mullin who he is.  For that reason, Season 2 will be the first read we can get on this staff. 

I think this team will really compete next year. Lovett's skillset and quickness are just insane.  We'll have to see how that translates to the college game in terms of turnovers and being out of control, but nobody will be able to stop him but himself.  Ponds is an elite athlete with a very refined skill set.  He and Ahmed replacing Johnson and M'Vouika will take the athletic ability to the next level. Right now, this is a very unathletic team.  Since the first time I saw Ponds, I noticed he had that special something you don't see often.  Hatten had it.  Ponds has the kind of game where you expect him to play at a very high level in college from day one because he is always under control and already has a capable college-level shot.  Jordan, although incredibly gifted, was very wild. 

I know the board is divided on Mussini, but I am very impressed and thrilled to have him for three more years.  He's an ideal third guard to me.  He picks up enough steals and boards to be able to play in three guard sets and he can play both PG and SG in traditional sets. He's under a lot of pressure as the only capable ball-handler now and that won't be an issue the rest of his time here.

Sima is very steady.  You couldn't draw up a better four year center.  Yakwe is a great complement to him and both play a huge part because former NBA players almost always have less than stellar team defense.  Those two kids will go a long way to making the interior a very inhospitable place and Ponds has the makings of an elite defender if he accepts that role. 

I think Ellison is better suited for backing up the 2 and 3 the next few years before assuming a starting role at one of those spots.  It'd be nice to add some more talent there.  I feel very good about landing Alkins and I think RF would be a very nice complement to Yakwe playing some stretch four as a scorer--perhaps Ahmed as well.   

My only concern is the  commitment to defense and rebounding.  It needs to be who this team is going forward.  Mullin has to break the former NBA player pattern for focusing on points and versatility over d. 

Please do not expect Ponds to play at a very high level right away next year.

goredmen

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 10:13:16 PM »

I actually agree with you for once. Let's not set the expectation too high on Ponds or even Lovett and RF if he comes next year. Unless we get Alkins or Thon I expect next year to be another transitional year for us. Nowhere near as bad as this year obviously but still not really an NCAA tournament caliber team. Year 3 should be the year when expectations are really high assuming everybody important stays

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 10:20:27 PM »
Mussini is starting the next 3 years.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 10:30:21 PM »

Being able to and being forced to are two very different things.  With a soph Mussini, a redshirted Lovett, a soph Ellison, and a  junior Ahmed, Ponds won't be asked to do anything he isn't ready for.  If that means 15 mpg as a defensive stopper and shooter, I'm fine with that.  I'm perfectly okay with Lovett and Mussini getting 30 mpg with Ahmed and/or Ellison getting the rest.  That is light years better than what we currently have.  Ponds is a luxury.  We haven't had many luxuries in Queens the last 20 years. 

Poison

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 11:45:41 PM »
I honestly don't know what you're talking about. There are no luxuries being added to a team that hasn't won a game in 5 weeks. Ponds isn't a luxury. No recruit is. This team is lifeless, and talentless. Every recruit is a life preserver. Expectations will be high because one, this is NY, and two, everyone is suffering through a thoroughly pathetic display.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 12:21:22 AM »
I honestly don't know what you're talking about. There are no luxuries being added to a team that hasn't won a game in 5 weeks. Ponds isn't a luxury. No recruit is. This team is lifeless, and talentless. Every recruit is a life preserver. Expectations will be high because one, this is NY, and two, everyone is suffering through a thoroughly pathetic display.

Please don't respond to my posts anymore.  No reasonable fan or even human being could be as upset with this season as you are.  Everyone knows where you stand, you don't have to take every possible opportunity to express your negativity.  You are insufferable. 

It won't be enough to post "I'm happy to be wrong about this staff and this team" next year when they start winning. Maybe it's time to take a little break from posting and find out what about your life is really making you so upset? 

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 12:30:15 AM »
I posted in October that the staff should get a complete pass this year. 

Not enough.  Lifetime pass!

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 08:48:14 AM »
It's a bit early to evaluate the staff.  There's no question Mullin is a great face for the program.  On the other hand, I see some troubling patterns. The players we have with three exceptions are the players they brought in.  If the newbies are not good enough to win it's on the staff.  I didn't buy into all the hype that most of the posters spewed, but I expected better.

I don't see improvement on the players' part.  The defense is as bad as I've ever seen at St John's.  Another year, another gang that can't shoot straight.  Another year and again we're bringing down the Conference's RPI...and this is the new, weaker Big East. Recruiting??  Looking at the MCDAA list, it's the usual suspects getting all the players.  We're in the mix for some studs...but we're always in the mix.  Can we get to a final four down the road without Maker or Alkins, if they're even coming?  Does anyone care if this team ever becomes a national title contender?

It's a bit early, but as Bob Dylan wrote: You don't have to be a weatherman to see which way the wind blows.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 08:49:56 AM »

+1

Poison

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 09:56:19 AM »

Please don't respond to my posts anymore.  No reasonable fan or even human being could be as upset with this season as you are.  Everyone knows where you stand, you don't have to take every possible opportunity to express your negativity.  You are insufferable. 

It won't be enough to post "I'm happy to be wrong about this staff and this team" next year when they start winning. Maybe it's time to take a little break from posting and find out what about your life is really making you so upset? 

Since you've been reading my posts so carefully, you should know that I've given the team credit for playing hard, since now they're playing hard. In the pre-season they weren't playing hard. If you disagree with that, I can't help you.

As far as next year, and the "luxury" of adding a 160 pound 18 year old that isn't Allen Iverson, it certainly sounds like you've been a St.John's fan long enough to know that over-hyping recruits and setting astronomical expectations for them isn't doing fans, or the program any favors. We've had a half dozen top ten recruiting classes since Lou retired, and only one them turned out to be the goods. Why don't you let history be your guide before handing the key the city to overrated players that you've ever seen before like Darien Williams?

And for the record, yes, I admit when I'm wrong. You should try it. It's an honorable thing to do.

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 10:34:43 AM »
She's pretty as a daisy
But look out man she's crazy
She'll really do you in
If you let her get under your skin

pmg911

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 11:05:26 AM »
The expectations of some people are just insanely unrealistic..

I don't understand why some of you bother at times....

derk

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 03:51:53 PM »
There are several ways an under talented team can win games :

Play tough defense.
Out hustle the opponent. Turn the 50/50 plays in your favor.
Rebound
Get to the line and hit your free throws.
Stay healthy

This team has to improve in all these areas and if it does will rack up 3-4 wins

Poison

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 04:28:27 PM »
The expectations of some people are just insanely unrealistic..

I don't understand why some of you bother at times....

What do you think are realistic expectations?

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 04:36:44 PM »
It's a bit early to evaluate the staff.  There's no question Mullin is a great face for the program.  On the other hand, I see some troubling patterns. The players we have with three exceptions are the players they brought in.  If the newbies are not good enough to win it's on the staff.  I didn't buy into all the hype that most of the posters spewed, but I expected better.

I don't see improvement on the players' part.  The defense is as bad as I've ever seen at St John's.  Another year, another gang that can't shoot straight.  Another year and again we're bringing down the Conference's RPI...and this is the new, weaker Big East. Recruiting??  Looking at the MCDAA list, it's the usual suspects getting all the players.  We're in the mix for some studs...but we're always in the mix.  Can we get to a final four down the road without Maker or Alkins, if they're even coming?  Does anyone care if this team ever becomes a national title contender?

It's a bit early, but as Bob Dylan wrote: You don't have to be a weatherman to see which way the wind blows.
If there's one thing you can't blame this staff for it is recruiting.  They came in and recruited nine players in like 30 days, at a time when there were very few players left on the board.  They had to start recruiting from scratch, and they did about as good as you could possibly expect.  They're all his players, yes, but he didn't have the time to do any better.  There is no point guard and not enough talent, but that's not on Mullin, it's on Lavin.

Ponds will need a little time to adjust, but he is a good recruit, just not the immediate impact player he is being made out to be.  The problem could be the pressure in NYC that people put on him right from the start.  This could hinder his development.  If we get Freudenberg, and who knows, Alkins, we will be cooking with gas.  Adding Lovett, Owens, Ahmed, Alkins, and Freudenberg (with Ponds and Williams) would mean a completely different team next year.  Really, if Alkins comes, that's the program changer.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »

Sorry Newsman, not nitpicking, I just disagree totally with your post here.  I have seen a lot of improvement with both the team and individual players.  They lost to STAC by 32 points, and then beat Cuse and Rutgers, and played teams like X close. To me, that's impressive.  As far as player development goes, look at Amar.  Mvouika has upped his game. Injuries affect player development but player development mostly takes place in the off season though.  Mullin was responsible for Amar and CJ coming back looking like we never saw them look, as far as conditioning goes.  That's one of the things Mullin talked about when he took the job. Nutrition, strength training, and all around conditioning. (this is what helped him immensely in the NBA).  They've done a lot with this program so far, lets just not ask for miracles.  If we get Alkins, though, that would border on miraculous.  We're almost there; we need to catch a break.