Staff Evaluation

• 203 replies
Re: Staff Evaluation
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2016, 11:35:28 AM »
You leave out a critical distinction.  Lavin and his staff had basically a normal recruiting cycle to assemble the 2011-2012 roster.  This staff did not.  It is apples and oranges and cannot be compared for that reason.

Beyond that, Harkless was BE ROY and a top 15 pick.  No one on this team is anywhere near as good at this stage of their career.  No one touches Harrison as a freshman, either.  And while Lindsey didn't work out (to say the least), we at least had PGIV to play PG (while he isn't a PG, as discussed throughout his tenure at SJU, we could certainly use him this year with Lovett out).

2011-2012 with  replacing cupboard.

Beat Notre Dame, Cincinnati, West Virginia, UCLA, Fordham
Close losses against Duke, Arizona, Texas A&M, and Villanova and hell even that 20 pt loss to that elite Kentucky team looks better than that embarrassment to Incarnate Word , NJIT, and Fordham this season.

Although, I was very close with the last staff and players I am willing to give Mullin some leeway this season considering the circumstances.  But one must ponder, in a rebuilding year with major conference worthy players no matter their inexperience, losses to those 3 teams are inexusable. At least make those games close but they werent. Next years season is make or break for this staff. Lets hope Lovett and the rumored ones thrive here. Also I am a firm believer Sampson would have made a huge impact here-we should have found a way to keep him.

« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2016, 11:47:09 AM »
Next year team will be rolling.

Careful
16 wins next year will be double the win total from this year.
That is asking a lot.
15-17 wins is a realistic expectation and a nice sized improvement.
Anything else is wishful thinking honestly.

I think that if we win 17 games next year I would be good with that as a fan. I am going in next year saying NIT is what we should do but more is possible. Like other posters have said this current group other then Mussini, Sima, and Yakwe is completely without Big East talent and they are competitive in most games. Add Lovett, Ahmed, Ponds, RF and possibly more who are all four star recruits and throw in a full season Sima and that's a pretty deep and diverse roster. At the same time all the players mentioned above are underclassmen so you have to temper your expectations a bit. I would be happy if come March we are still in the conversation as a bubble team. That would be great but not saying if we aren't that the year has been a let down because with so many new pieces next year is hard to predict.

Agree 100%. And at the very least even if we only improve to 15 wins or so with Lovett and Ponds we should be much more fun to watch

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2016, 11:53:08 AM »
is owens a high major player or did he leave tenn bc it was above his level?  It looks like the front court will be pretty packed next year.  will be interesting to see how that shakes out

Moose

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2016, 12:12:47 PM »
Lavin gets blamed for not recruiting . Is that his job? I know he is responsible for it. But wasn't tony chilies the lead recruiter? I assume Mullin isn't actually recruiting. Maybe Lavin should have fired chiles earlier? Is this accurate?

Youre right.
Lavin's job was to talk in circles and be a guidance counselor. 
It wasn't his job to recruit.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »
Lavin gets blamed for not recruiting . Is that his job? I know he is responsible for it. But wasn't tony chilies the lead recruiter? I assume Mullin isn't actually recruiting. Maybe Lavin should have fired chiles earlier? Is this accurate?

Youre right.
Lavin's job was to talk in circles and be a guidance counselor. 
It wasn't his job to recruit.

Maybe that was why Phil dribbled in circles. Lavin's jibber jabber confused him.

« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »
This all makes sense now. Point guard is supposed to be an extension of the coach on the floor.
Lavin talked in circles so Phil dribbled in circles
Norm was a bit slow so Geno moved slowly

derk

« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2016, 01:13:10 PM »
Next year team will be rolling.

Careful
16 wins next year will be double the win total from this year.
That is asking a lot.
15-17 wins is a realistic expectation and a nice sized improvement.
Anything else is wishful thinking honestly.

I think that if we win 17 games next year I would be good with that as a fan. I am going in next year saying NIT is what we should do but more is possible. Like other posters have said this current group other then Mussini, Sima, and Yakwe is completely without Big East talent and they are competitive in most games. Add Lovett, Ahmed, Ponds, RF and possibly more who are all four star recruits and throw in a full season Sima and that's a pretty deep and diverse roster. At the same time all the players mentioned above are underclassmen so you have to temper your expectations a bit. I would be happy if come March we are still in the conversation as a bubble team. That would be great but not saying if we aren't that the year has been a let down because with so many new pieces next year is hard to predict.

Agree 100%. And at the very least even if we only improve to 15 wins or so with Lovett and Ponds we should be much more fun to watch

You are right. No guarantee that we are going to jump to 20 + wins next year no matter how good our class is. Remember the other teams aren't just standing around. They're improving also. I do think next year will be a bridge year to what we can expect to be 20 + wins  every year. 

TONYD3

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2016, 02:01:23 PM »
Next year vs Lavin's 2ND year

PG- Branch and Greene vs Lovett and Mussini- hope we are better next year. branch and Greene were ok as freshman and sophomores. Lovett and was rated high as was branch.

SG harrison vs Ponds- I loved Harrison one of my favorites. Ponds rated around same place. Ponds is more athletic. Hoping Ponds can score.

SF Harkless, sampson vs Frudenberg. Hopefully the german is almost as good.

PF Pointer vs Yakwe- Think Yawje is further advanced then freshman pointer.

C Gift vs Sima- Sima is better now not .close

Bench- next years team not close. Lavin had no bench

Coaching- Mullin, St. Jean vs Lavin  Dunlap - edge lavin more experienced. Hoping I don't think that next year at this time.

Schedule- Old big east was just tough. Mullin should have a much easier time.

Tha Kid

« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2016, 02:22:54 PM »

PG- Branch and Greene vs Lovett and Mussini- hope we are better next year. branch and Greene were ok as freshman and sophomores. Lovett and was rated high as was branch.

SG harrison vs Ponds- I loved Harrison one of my favorites. Ponds rated around same place. Ponds is more athletic. Hoping Ponds can score.

Coaching- Mullin, St. Jean vs Lavin  Dunlap - edge lavin more experienced. Hoping I don't think that next year at this time.

Sampson did not play in Lavin's 2nd year.  SirDom played SF.  Harkless PF. 

Why are we even comparing this at this point, we dont technically have Freudenberg, we have no idea who is starting and who the staff may finish the class with, etc.  In some places you name starter and backup.  In others you name someone we may be getting (RF) but not a juco beast who we ARE getting (Ahmed). 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:23:53 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2016, 02:25:15 PM »
This all makes sense now. Point guard is supposed to be an extension of the coach on the floor.

My law school intramural softball team completed a ground ball triple bay with Geno at the bat.  He never made it to first, where I was playing, before our 2nd basemen threw me the ball.  He was literally standing 2 feet away from me, before ever touching the bag.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:25:51 PM by Tha Kid »

Poison

« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »

Ahmed will start at the 3 next year. And he'll probably be the go to guy. And hey, in fairness to GG, he wasn't so bad. I thought his overall production was similar to what Sima was giving us. Sima has more upside at the 5 because he's a center. Gift was really an undersized center who would have played the 4 if we had the bodies.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:53:24 PM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »

My law school intramural softball team completed a ground ball triple bay with Geno at the bat.  He never made it to first, where I was playing, before our 2nd basemen threw me the ball.  He was literally standing 2 feet away from me, before ever touching the bag.

Well so what. I mean you played first base. I mean they always put the worst player on first base. That's were they put me and I stunk.

Tha Kid

« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »

Well so what. I mean you played first base. I mean they always put the worst player on first base. That's were they put me and I stunk.

1.  It shows how slow Geno is that he got tripled up on a grounder in an intramural softball game against a law school team.

2.  The law school intramural competitors are a very sad group of athletes generally.  I was playing RCF/2B/3B but had to permanently switch to 1B because we didnt have enough guys/girls who could consistently catch the ball, so not quite how it worked out for you old chap.  Not tooting my own horn by any means, but yes I catch the ball regularly and not only if it is thrown perfectly to me, which was the condition nearly everyone else on our team except our CFs and SS needed.

3.  Geno got TRIPLED UP on a GROUND BALL in intramural SOFTBALL!!!  That's just horrible.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:03:23 PM by Tha Kid »

Foad

« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2016, 03:05:37 PM »

1.  It shows how slow Geno is that he got tripled up on a grounder in an intramural softball game against a law school team.

2.  The law school intramural competitors are a very sad group of athletes generally.  I was playing RCF/2B/3B but had to permanently switch to 1B because we didnt have enough guys/girls who could consistently catch the ball, so not quite how it worked out for you old chap.  Not tooting my own horn by any means, but yes I catch the ball regularly and not only if it is thrown perfectly to me, which was the condition nearly everyone else on our team except our CFs and SS needed.

3.  Geno got TRIPLED UP on a GROUND BALL in intramural SOFTBALL!!!  That's just horrible.

Tha Kid

« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2016, 03:07:40 PM »

Aw thanks for the comparison to one of the greatest fielding 1Bs of all-time, Foad.  I feel like you and me just had a moment.  ;)

« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2016, 03:08:26 PM »
I went to a game his Junior year against Gtown and Geno stole the ball at half-court and raced the other way for a breakaway  except that somehow not only did the Gtown player beat him down the court but so did two other Gtown guys and DJ Kennedy. He turned a breakaway into a disadvantage. Was actually an amazing feat of unathleticism the likes of which I have never seen before.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:09:26 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2016, 03:09:43 PM »

It is horrible. But let's be happy Geno was butch enough to shake off that disappointment on his way to a long successful career as a professional basketball player, where his lack of foot speed was not an impediment.

Foad

« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2016, 03:11:03 PM »

Aw thanks for the comparison to one of the greatest fielding 1Bs of all-time, Foad.  I feel like you and me just had a moment.  ;)

That's two whooses. Three and you're out.

[Fitzpatrick's Bar]

KEITH: Ya know I hate to brag but, uh, I did win eleven straight golden gloves.
ELAINE: [chuckles]
KEITH: I wouldn't have brought it up but since you mentioned it.
ELAINE: Ha, I didn't mention it.
KEITH: Well I won them anyway.
ELAINE: Well so what. I mean you played first base. I mean they always put the worst
player on first base. That's were they put me and I stunk.
KEITH: Elaine. you don't know the first thing about first base.
ELAINE: ha ha well I know something about getting to first base. And I know you'll
never be there.
KEITH: The way I figure it I've already been there and I plan on rounding second
tonight at around eleven o'clock.
ELAINE: Well, uh, I'd watch the third base coach if I were you 'cause I don't think he's
waving you in. You know I hate to say this but I think we're really hitting it off. Get
it? Get it?
KEITH: Funny.

[Keith takes out a cigarette]

ELAINE: What are you doing?
KEITH: What's that?
ELAINE: You smoke?
KEITH: Yeah.
ELAINE: I didn't know you SMOKED.
KEITH: Is that a problem?
ELAINE: Uh, …

Foad

« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »
I went to a game his Junior year against Gtown and Geno stole the ball at half-court and raced the other way for a breakaway  except that somehow not only did the Gtown player beat him down the court but so did two other Gtown guys and DJ Kennedy. He turned a breakaway into a disadvantage. Was actually an amazing feat of unathleticism the likes of which I have never seen before.

Eugene Lawrence (born June 22, 1986) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Telekom Baskets Bonn of the German Basketball League.[1] Known as Geno throughout New York, He won a NYC PSAL championship alongside NBA player Sebastian Telfair, in which Lawrence won MVP honors After a successful high school career, Geno went on to play for St. John's University. Geno is currently ranked 3rd in assist amongst players in St. John's history. After college Eugene went to play in Slovakia for BK AX SPU Nitra from 2008 to 2009 where he was named player of the year and won the finals with his team. He then moved to Czech Republic for 3 seasons. Playing for BK Prostejov from 2009 to 2011 he was runner up in the Czech league for two season. In his second season there he was named MVP of the all star game. His team made it to euro challenge final 16 in 2010/2011. In the 2011/2012 season he then moved to CEZ Nymburk where he was first place in the Czech league finals. He was named to the all star team starting five for the second season in a row. His team also made it to the eurocup final 8. From 2012 to 2014 Eugene played in Ukraine for BC Goverla. During his second season he left the team due to political hardships and civil war within the country. He then moved to Germany to play for Telekom Baskets Bonn where he is currently playing.

« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2016, 03:28:19 PM »

Eugene Lawrence (born June 22, 1986) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Telekom Baskets Bonn of the German Basketball League.[1] Known as Geno throughout New York, He won a NYC PSAL championship alongside NBA player Sebastian Telfair, in which Lawrence won MVP honors After a successful high school career, Geno went on to play for St. John's University. Geno is currently ranked 3rd in assist amongst players in St. John's history. After college Eugene went to play in Slovakia for BK AX SPU Nitra from 2008 to 2009 where he was named player of the year and won the finals with his team. He then moved to Czech Republic for 3 seasons. Playing for BK Prostejov from 2009 to 2011 he was runner up in the Czech league for two season. In his second season there he was named MVP of the all star game. His team made it to euro challenge final 16 in 2010/2011. In the 2011/2012 season he then moved to CEZ Nymburk where he was first place in the Czech league finals. He was named to the all star team starting five for the second season in a row. His team also made it to the eurocup final 8. From 2012 to 2014 Eugene played in Ukraine for BC Goverla. During his second season he left the team due to political hardships and civil war within the country. He then moved to Germany to play for Telekom Baskets Bonn where he is currently playing.

Did you know that the most popular soup in Slovakia is sauerkraut soup and blood sausage is their favorite meal?
Since Geno is their best basketball player and the above is the cuisine of choice I am going to go out on a limb and say Slovakia sucks
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:28:55 PM by we are sju »