Remaining Needs for Remaining Scholarship(s)?

• 92 replies

hnk

Remaining Needs for Remaining Scholarship(s)?
« on: February 09, 2016, 05:50:16 PM »
1) A Mitchell Foster type/////workhorse rebounder// five good defensive fouls a game and 2) perhaps, a back up point guard//ideally with a little size...in case of injury, transfer, eligibility, foul trouble, defensive issues.

Poison

Re: Remaining Needs for Remaining Scholarship(s)?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 07:36:54 PM »
I think Mitchell Foster is a good example. A guy who can step right in and rebound. It would be nice if there was a little Ty Grant in his offensive game, too. As we've seen over the years, bigs are hard to come by. If it's an undersized guy, they need to be incredibly strong, quick or smart to play in the BE. (Jones is none of those things) Really, a Lamont Middleton would be even more appropriate. They lack a big that can back his man down. (Sima could develop that skill, but it's clearly not ready yet)

In addition, they could also use a pg/sg combo grad transfer. (You know, as insurance)

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:59:20 PM »
I believe we can develop our current roster and commits to fill all of the holes.  We have a few guys like Yakwe, Sima and Ponds that remind me of Jim Calhoun type recruits, and a huge part of Calhoun's approach and success was  developing his recruits into animals in the weight room.  When you played Uconn, you were playing grown men. Look at the weights from the 2003-4 national championship team:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003–04_Connecticut_Huskies_men%27s_basketball_team

The lightest player was soph Rashad Anderson at 190! Anderson finished his Uconn career at 215-220. Note the weights of the younger players like Hilton Armstrong and Denham Brown at just 210 and 205, respectively. Armstrong gained 25 pounds to start his senior year and Brown 15.
Small guards were 200, big guards 210-215, wings 215-225, and forwards 230-260. You don't see 160, 170, or even 180.

Yakwe needs to be 220 and Sima 225-230 by the end of the summer or the strength team needs to be replaced. Owens should be on a 7,000 calorie a day high-protein diet.  Every young player in the roster news to add 15 pounds of muscle.

On top of that at least two perimeter players need to step up and accept and own a defensive-stopper mindset.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 08:38:19 PM »
Can someone please explain the scholarship distribution for me? Looking at the one posted on this site it appears that all 12 of our ships are taken, including the verbals we have. Assuming no one leaves, how do we get anyone else to sign without taking a schollie away?

Moose

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:42:16 PM »
Can someone please explain the scholarship distribution for me? Looking at the one posted on this site it appears that all 12 of our ships are taken, including the verbals we have. Assuming no one leaves, how do we get anyone else to sign without taking a schollie away?

Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 08:46:36 PM »
ahh that makes sense. thanks. dont know why i always thought it was 12

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 09:02:40 PM »

The staff saved a scholarship this year so, If nobody leaves, they still have one to give. Jones will likely graduate and the staff is under no obligation to renew him for a 5th year.  He's a goner that doesn't make sense with RF and Ahmed on board.   That leaves two. I have a feeling Williams might not be a sure thing either.

I'm like the annoying accountant that follows a bunch of guys around Vegas on a bachelor party reminding them to save for braces for the kids and college instead of strippers and gambling...so I'll point out again  that we need to use Jones' ship on a 4-year big to develop behind Sima and Yakwe  so we don't have to experience a season like this again when we lose this freshman class (+ Owens, Williams if he stays, and any early entrants/transfers).

I'm not asking for much....just a kid happy to be playing at St. John's that can give 10 quality mpg in three years and 15-20 mpg in four years.

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:07:49 PM »
I am fine with letting jones go. And that is not abuse. But we could do better then a project. Plenty of minutes available. Currently no starting caliber player on the roster. For 2016 that is. I agree with Hnk, would like a bruiser and or a PG.

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 09:22:05 PM »

The staff saved a scholarship this year so, If nobody leaves, they still have one to give. Jones will likely graduate and the staff is under no obligation to renew him for a 5th year.  He's a goner that doesn't make sense with RF and Ahmed on board.   That leaves two. I have a feeling Williams might not be a sure thing either.

I'm like the annoying accountant that follows a bunch of guys around Vegas on a bachelor party reminding them to save for braces for the kids and college instead of strippers and gambling...so I'll point out again  that we need to use Jones' ship on a 4-year big to develop behind Sima and Yakwe  so we don't have to experience a season like this again when we lose this freshman class (+ Owens, Williams if he stays, and any early entrants/transfers).

I'm not asking for much....just a kid happy to be playing at St. John's that can give 10 quality mpg in three years and 15-20 mpg in four years.

A freshmen big coming in to play behind 3 soph and 1 fresh big? You say only 10 minutes to be had for said recruit but then say jones has not shot at the lineup?  A freshmen big who is willing to come in behind Sima, Owens, Yakwe, plus battle it out with any combination of Jones, Amar, Williams, and RF is not going to merit getting 10 minutes a game. The following year is the year for a big. Maybe a nice freshmen transfer who will come in and play the next year. Dont see any room for a big.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:26:23 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 09:29:38 PM »
Hold the ship, wait till all the re-opining up of recruitment's happen this spring, we have sharks to swim now. Or sign a quality transfer to sit and join the team after year away. Orrrr hold the last ship to give us 2 spots to play with in a loaded '17 class in which we happen to be mentioned with 5-6 studs.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 09:46:02 PM »
Hold the ship, wait till all the re-opining up of recruitment's happen this spring, we have sharks to swim now. Or sign a quality transfer to sit and join the team after year away. Orrrr hold the last ship to give us 2 spots to play with in a loaded '17 class in which we happen to be mentioned with 5-6 studs.

In terms of scholarship distribution, it makes sense to add a grad transfer. But this time, let's add a player who's ready for this.

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 09:53:48 PM »

In terms of scholarship distribution, it makes sense to add a grad transfer. But this time, let's add a player who's ready for this.

If its a grad transfer I prefer it to be a guard. Someone like Sterling Gibbs for UConn this year would be ideal. Can play the point, can play the 2-3, can shoot and score, and has seen it all.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 10:08:59 PM »

A freshmen big coming in to play behind 3 soph and 1 fresh big? You say only 10 minutes to be had for said recruit but then say jones has not shot at the lineup?  A freshmen big who is willing to come in behind Sima, Owens, Yakwe, plus battle it out with any combination of Jones, Amar, Williams, and RF is not going to merit getting 10 minutes a game. The following year is the year for a big. Maybe a nice freshmen transfer who will come in and play the next year. Dont see any room for a big.

The Williams situation affects the planning a great deal, but assuming he stays, I'd like to see two bigs groomed and ready to take over for Sima and co. with at least two years of college experience. I see no reason why they have to come this year instead of next or even one being a freshman transfer that sits out next year. Don't force it if it's not there. As long as we have two bigs in place to bridge the gap...we can add add a juco with AA's ship the year before and a top high school kid with Ahmed's.

I expect  the staff to add a 5th-year transfer this year. We have to be a very attractive option at a few positions. We can't rely on the rule being around three years from now though.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 11:06:28 PM »
I think it's simple.  We need Alkins and a solid big that can rebound and defend the post, and that won't get raked out of the paint on offense.  And we're losing our wings from this year.  We need two.  We already have Ahmed, but still need one more if we want to improve in that department.

The issue now is Zach said that reports of Alkins possibly being ineligible for next year are credible.  I have not heard this from people that know his family, but since Zach said it, I'll trust it.  The other thing is, I have heard whispers on this board about Ahmed being ineligible.  I can't remember which thread but it was posted, albeit a while ago. But still it is a concern for me.  If anyone knows about this issue, please post about it.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 12:10:26 AM »

If its a grad transfer I prefer it to be a guard. Someone like Sterling Gibbs for UConn this year would be ideal. Can play the point, can play the 2-3, can shoot and score, and has seen it all.

The name I keep hearing is Josh Fortune. East coast kid that dropped 24 on us as a soph at Providence in the 2014 Big East tournament. At least we know he  likes to play in MSG.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 12:16:03 AM »
I think it's simple.  We need Alkins and a solid big that can rebound and defend the post, and that won't get raked out of the paint on offense.  And we're losing our wings from this year.  We need two.  We already have Ahmed, but still need one more if we want to improve in that department.

The issue now is Zach said that reports of Alkins possibly being ineligible for next year are credible.  I have not heard this from people that know his family, but since Zach said it, I'll trust it.  The other thing is, I have heard whispers on this board about Ahmed being ineligible.  I can't remember which thread but it was posted, albeit a while ago. But still it is a concern for me.  If anyone knows about this issue, please post about it.

There was no basis to the Ahmed comment--I won't even label it a rumor.   He just needs to go finish his classes like every other player in high school or college. 

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »

The name I keep hearing is Josh Fortune. East coast kid that dropped 24 on us as a soph at Providence in the 2014 Big East tournament. At least we know he  likes to play in MSG.

Really? Had forgot all about him but liked him at Prov. At least a lot more than Phil Greene did :)

hnk

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 09:43:12 AM »
Can we take a guy who previously played in the Big East?

Wods317

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 09:51:36 AM »
Josh Fortune would be interesting for sure. Kid can shoot the ball and is playing less minutes and scoring more then he did last year. You are hearing about him transferring or him wanting to come here specifically? Also like hnk I'm not sure the rule with a former big east player coming back to the conference.