Remaining Needs for Remaining Scholarship(s)?

• 92 replies

MCNPA

Re: Remaining Needs for Remaining Scholarship(s)?
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 08:45:16 AM »
I don't know if Fortune has any interest at all but I'd take him in a heartbeat if he did.  As a 5th year senior he'd absolutely be able to transfer here if he wanted to.  He has graduated for one, and fulfilled the 2-year rule, which I believe is moot since he's a grad student.  It's all moot if it's not true anyway.

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2016, 09:51:58 AM »
Re: Fortune, has there been something recently indicating he would leave Boulder? This is from December;

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-josh-fortune-1218-20151218-story.html

And more recently;

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_29482833/josh-fortune-wesley-gordon-return

I'm told Fortune is a goner if Xavier Johnson, who is currently practicing with the team, takes a medical redshirt and returns for a 5th year, barring a surprise departure from someone else. It makes sense when you see that Colorado has two soph guards starting over him that both shoot near 50% from three--his most valuable skill--two junior forwards that play 21-26 mpg and a stud SG transfer redshirting this year. And he's only getting 22 mpg this year without Johnson and the transfer.

As for the intraconference transfer rule (if it was adopted) I'd imagine that the grad-transfer rule overrides it like it does with the long-standing one-year residency requirement. It would be interesting to see if Fortune would go back to  Providence if he does transfer. I trust Matt A is well informed on the situation and probably that of several other potential transfers.

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2016, 10:14:20 AM »
I know he has some bad press with being suspended as of late by Bruce Peal but what about Kareem Canty if he decides to leave? NY kid can score proved that at Marshall and this year at Auburn?

Wods317

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2016, 10:17:29 AM »
As has become routine there will be a lot of transfers this offseason, probably even one from our own squad. Not I know of anyone but just the way it is now in college ball. There will be a lot of quality kids out there and hopefully we can grab one, a 5th year guy would be great but if we can get a young guy like Owens that has upside who can work with the staff for a year that would be great also.

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 11:49:46 AM »
I know he has some bad press with being suspended as of late by Bruce Peal but what about Kareem Canty if he decides to leave? NY kid can score proved that at Marshall and this year at Auburn?

I didn't realize how bad Auburn was doing now  (9-14) or how nasty Canty's stats were:  18.3 points, 5.3 assists, 3.0 boards per game with close to a 2:1 assist-t.o. ratio and 36.1% from three and 74.1% at the line.  http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kareem-canty-1.html

He dropped 25 on Xavier, 26 in a win over Kentucky (Ulis, Briscoe, Murray), 24 on Colorado, and 25 on Alabama.

Seems like the issue that led to the suspension was a chronicly bad attitude after six straight losses, some off games, and Auburn's really bad luck with injuries. The starting PF was suspended for the same reason as well. I'm not too concerned with that since he'll have no leverage or room to crow next year and because Matt A can get some good info on his personality from Deandre Kane, who played with him at Marshal before finishing at Iowa State.

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »
well that Canty idea i thought about lasted long............

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 07:12:33 PM »
Re: Fortune, has there been something recently indicating he would leave Boulder? This is from December;

And more recently;

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_29482833/josh-fortune-wesley-gordon-return

I'm told Fortune is a goner if Xavier Johnson, who is currently practicing with the team, takes a medical redshirt and returns for a 5th year, barring a surprise departure from someone else. It makes sense when you see that Colorado has two soph guards starting over him that both shoot near 50% from three--his most valuable skill--two junior forwards that play 21-26 mpg and a stud SG transfer redshirting this year. And he's only getting 22 mpg this year without Johnson and the transfer.

As for the intraconference transfer rule (if it was adopted) I'd imagine that the grad-transfer rule overrides it like it does with the long-standing one-year residency requirement. It would be interesting to see if Fortune would go back to  Providence if he does transfer. I trust Matt A is well informed on the situation and probably that of several other potential transfers.
How could the grad-transfer rule supercede a conference rule?  The grad transfer rule is an NCAA rule, which allows players who have graduated to transfer right away, if the school will have them. The intra conference rule is imposed by the Big East, so the Big East schools can't have him. This is, of course, if the old rule carried over to the new charter. If it wasn't, we would be free to recruit him.

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 09:08:43 PM »

And more recently;

How could the grad-transfer rule supercede a conference rule?  The grad transfer rule is an NCAA rule, which allows players who have graduated to transfer right away, if the school will have them. The intra conference rule is imposed by the Big East, so the Big East schools can't have him. This is, of course, if the old rule carried over to the new charter. If it wasn't, we would be free to recruit him.
He's not transferring from a BE school.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 11:40:15 PM »

And more recently;

The old Big East required all transfers to sit out one year before playing--no exceptions. The NCAA subsequently passed a rule allowing eligible grads to transfer and play immediately thereby  superseding the Big East's (and that of other conferences) residency requirement. Regardless, I think a reasonable interpretation of the situation under the old rule (if adopted) is that he's washed his hands of Providence and forbidding him to play a year after graduating and being removed two years is not in the spirit of the rule.

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2016, 03:22:23 PM »
Brett Bisping of Siena would be a great grad option if he were to go that route.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61426/brett-bisping

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2016, 03:37:49 PM »
Brett Bisping of Siena would be a great grad option if he were to go that route.

Curious as to your reasoning

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2016, 04:58:24 PM »

And more recently;

The old Big East required all transfers to sit out one year before playing--no exceptions. The NCAA subsequently passed a rule allowing eligible grads to transfer and play immediately thereby  superseding the Big East's (and that of other conferences) residency requirement. Regardless, I think a reasonable interpretation of the situation under the old rule (if adopted) is that he's washed his hands of Providence and forbidding him to play a year after graduating and being removed two years is not in the spirit of the rule.
No, the Big East forbade any player who "previously signed an LOI with a Big East school" to sign one with someone else in conference. Period." No exceptions". It doesn't have anything to do with sitting a year, or where you eventually transfer from. The grad transfer rule has nothing to do with this intra conference restriction.  And neither does the NCAA's (this is not a Big East rule) of sitting out one year for regular transfers.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:55:16 PM by WillieG »

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »

Curious as to your reasoning

If he were to leave I would want him but would hope he stayed at Siena. No inside info just something I thought of.  Youve seen him, what do you think?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »

And more recently;

No, the Big East forbade any player who "previously signed an LOI with a Big East school" to sign one with someone else. Period." No exceptions". It doesn't have anything to do with sitting a year, or where you eventually transfer from. The grad transfer rule has nothing to do with this intra conference restriction.  And neither does the NCAA's (this is not a Big East rule) of sitting out one year for regular transfers.

The old Big East also had no exceptions to the residency requirement. It forbade every transfer from playing immediately.  The NCAA has the power to override a conference rule.  It's not really worthwhile to keep discussing this as we don't even know if the conference adopted the old rules and we don't know if Fortune or SJU have interest in the other.  I'm sure if there is interest on SJU's part, Matt A is all over it and already has an answer regarding the rule.

hnk

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2016, 06:54:17 PM »
Right now, there is one ship available.  i think the huge priority is a big with muscle and upper body.

TONYD3

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2016, 06:57:34 PM »
Right now, there is one ship available.  i think the huge priority is a big with muscle and upper body.
+1

Moose

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2016, 07:11:35 PM »

And more recently;

No, the Big East forbade any player who "previously signed an LOI with a Big East school" to sign one with someone else. Period." No exceptions". It doesn't have anything to do with sitting a year, or where you eventually transfer from. The grad transfer rule has nothing to do with this intra conference restriction.  And neither does the NCAA's (this is not a Big East rule) of sitting out one year for regular transfers.

The old Big East also had no exceptions to the residency requirement. It forbade every transfer from playing immediately.  The NCAA has the power to override a conference rule.  It's not really worthwhile to keep discussing this as we don't even know if the conference adopted the old rules and we don't know if Fortune or SJU have interest in the other.  I'm sure if there is interest on SJU's part, Matt A is all over it and already has an answer regarding the rule.

I thought you alluded to there being interest
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »

Lower body is what moves on the blocks.  That's the difference between guys like Jones and God's Gift and someone like Dejuan Blair.

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 07:13:17 PM »

And more recently;

He's not transferring from a BE school.
It doesn't matter where he is transferring from.  He signed an LOI with a Big East school in the past.  The rule says you can never sign with another with  "no exceptions".