Clarification on CTK and Arbs Relation with St. John's

• 5 replies
Clarification on CTK and Arbs Relation with St. John's
« on: February 17, 2016, 10:58:20 AM »
Just was curious, when I was browsing this board some time ago there was mention that Arbs did not like the last staff because they did not put a walk-on he wanted on our team. Can someone confirm or deny or expand that?  And if that was the case how would the last staff be to blame-its their team and they choose who they want. A HS coach should not have say on a college team he was not hired by them-I think it would have been rather unethical to say the least. Similar to the SHU and Tiny Morton package rubbed me the wrong way.

Also someone mentioned that Alkins was never recruited by the last staff. I have some serious doubts about that and if the recruiting was cut off was it because Arbs exerted too much control over the kid?

Once again all of this could be true or false , just wanted to make note because I have seen discussion about this on the board. Curious about our relation with these locals and the history involved.

Foad

Re: Clarification on CTK and Arbs Relation with St. John's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:25:40 AM »
Just was curious, when I was browsing this board some time ago there was mention that Arbs did not like the last staff because they did not put a walk-on he wanted on our team. Can someone confirm or deny or expand that?  And if that was the case how would the last staff be to blame-its their team and they choose who they want. A HS coach should not have say on a college team he was not hired by them-I think it would have been rather unethical to say the least. Similar to the SHU and Tiny Morton package rubbed me the wrong way.

Also someone mentioned that Alkins was never recruited by the last staff. I have some serious doubts about that and if the recruiting was cut off was it because Arbs exerted too much control over the kid?

Once again all of this could be true or false , just wanted to make note because I have seen discussion about this on the board. Curious about our relation with these locals and the history involved.

Our relationship with the NYC BB scene was fine until Mike Jarvis informed a gym full of local HS coaches that he would no longer be offering scholarships to their players because they were not hungry enough. Or at least not as hungry as Deuce. Norm repaired those ties to some extent. Lavin undid those repairs, preferring as he did to recruit Northern California and the South of France.

I have no inside knowledge of the specific instance you reference. It does however make sense as a matter of comity for a local school like SJU to give preference to local walk ons over those from Los Angeles, as it does to schedule local cupcakes in the preseason rather than those like Saint Mary's and Long Beach State so that you can visit your family on the university's dime.

As to your doubts, you would have had doubts about his guilt if Lavin was stopped drunk and speeding with a baby carriage dragging under his car and a suitcase full of severed heads in the trunk. I do not begrudge you your prejudices - I surely have mine - but it would be a little easier to take you seriously if you did not pretend otherwise. 

Moose

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »
Confirmed.

Assistant promised it Lavin didnt deliver on it.

It's been publicized that Lavin didnt walk into CTK gym until last year.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 02:05:23 PM »
Thank you for confirming this. While promises should be considered carefully before being offered is it not petty that you dissuade a top player from coming to a school because a walk-on was not put on? Almost selfish and becomes more about personal vendetta than the kid's interests and freedom to decide.

Furthermore, is there not a correlation between Norm "repairing" and us habitually losing and Lav trying something else to at least get some success. And when Lav needed to he went local with Moe, Chris, Felix, Adonis, Orlando/Marco came from NY Juco don't forget.  Kadiem was also a local walk-on/scholarship player.

Heck, Lav even built up a relationship with Yakwe who is best freshman. And I know Lovett is not local but the one that everyone is pegging (me included) as to really be a savior next year began with Lav going for him.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:10:13 PM by friendofjohnnie »

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 02:24:08 PM »
You're wasting your breath, friend...

Foad

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 02:24:24 PM »
is there not a correlation between Norm "repairing" and us habitually losing

Yeah, the same sort of correlation there is between my alarm going off and the sun coming up.