Former players in attendance...

• 16 replies

Poison

Former players in attendance...
« on: February 17, 2016, 11:00:37 PM »
Glen Williams, Gordan Thomas, Anrhony Mason Jr, Tarik Turner, Bill Wennington and Mohammed Diakite.

Who'd I miss?

Moose

Re: Former players in attendance...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »
Very disappointing but not surprised that again only some of the players were on the court. Spoke to Mo and to managers with him and they were told they would come to get them to go on the court and nobody from SJU ever did.  Typical SJU
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 11:22:42 PM »
Can't imagine this is so complicated for them to get it right ...and consistently.

It's the little things that help a program too.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 11:48:51 PM »
Very disappointing but not surprised that again only some of the players were on the court. Spoke to Mo and to managers with him and they were told they would come to get them to go on the court and nobody from SJU ever did.  Typical SJU

Haven't we all seen enough of Diakite on the court? (kidding)

A nice kid, so you've said, and I certainly believe you, but the University as a whole has done an awful job of keeping players involved. So many other programs have dedicated alumni that truly want to be part of their alma mater. Has Bootsy Thornton ever been back on campus? Even once? Has Lavor Postell? Why hasn't STJ been able to bring them back? I don't blame them regarding Mark Jackson. He's cuckoo for coco puffs.

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 12:20:27 AM »
Diakite is a great guy. Had drinks with him a few times.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 04:02:02 AM »
Glen Williams, Gordan Thomas, Anrhony Mason Jr, Tarik Turner, Bill Wennington and Mohammed Diakite.

Who'd I miss?

Ed Searcy, Mel Utley and Curtis Redding.

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:17:35 AM »

Disgrace, although SJU is consistent in this regard. Periodically attend a mid major program's home games in Florida. The program is relatively new to D1, but they consistently recognize former players in attendance. Guess such a basic  courtesy, which fans also enjoy, was not in the SJU Marketing Plan developed a few years back. :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:23:02 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:05:47 AM »
I mentioned this many times before.  I used to go to big fights in the garden and there would always be notables introduced in the ring.  Love them or not, those who played for us are special, thus they deserve special treatment.  It's also fun for the crowd to honor and cheer on the "old" guys.

No brainer!!

Moose

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:07:01 AM »
It's one thing to not honor them. It's another to tell them they will be and not follow thru.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »
It's possible that they do not want to be recognized.  Lets not jump to conclusions.  I was at a game in the 12'-13'  season and they had a whole video presentation about Glen Williams and his career at St. John's.  The PA announcer said please stand and applaud for Glen Williams who is entering the court now.  And then no Glen Williams.  I don't think he wanted to be recognized.  Some people just want to go and enjoy a game anonymously without the "stress" of going public, and feeling that everyone is looking at them.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »
Paultzman -- Are you referring to FGCU?

Moose

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »
It's possible that they do not want to be recognized.  Lets not jump to conclusions.  I was at a game in the 12'-13'  season and they had a whole video presentation about Glen Williams and his career at St. John's.  The PA announcer said please stand and applaud for Glen Williams who is entering the court now.  And then no Glen Williams.  I don't think he wanted to be recognized.  Some people just want to go and enjoy a game anonymously without the "stress" of going public, and feeling that everyone is looking at them.

I spoke to them and they told me a staffer told them before the game at a pre game reception was supposed to come and get them for the ceremony.  Talking directly to 3 people isn't jumping to conclusions.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »

I spoke to them and they told me a staffer told them before the game at a pre game reception was supposed to come and get them for the ceremony.  Talking directly to 3 people isn't jumping to conclusions.
Sorry Mooser, didn't read the posts intently enough.  I apologize for jumping to conclusions about you jumping to conclusions.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 10:13:31 PM »

Sorry Mooser, didn't read the posts intently enough.  I apologize for jumping to conclusions about you jumping to conclusions.

Jump Willie Jump

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 10:27:35 PM »
Willie was the best leaper we ever had, except for maybe Michael Porter, who only played one year. (Went to the Caribbean with his girlfriend, or something, when he was supposed to be taking summer classes).

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 12:53:34 AM »
Time to move on from the past and win some games...

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 01:10:33 PM »
That's what THEY need to do.  I'll still reminisce about our nationally relevant past in the meantime.