Creighton Predictions

• 88 replies
Re: Creighton Predictions
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2016, 09:57:09 PM »
Of course, Dink, I agree that there are issues beyond talent level that will need to be addressed going forward.  But I think a large part of our defensive woes is the fact that our guards and wings are slower, weaker and/or less athletic than everyone we play.  There have been some nice defensive efforts, and some abominations.  A team with legitimate guards/wings would mask a lot of the problems.  We don't have any at that level right now.

With how their last decade has gone, any Seton Hall fan that talks smack to anyone should either be ignored or put in an asylum for being delusional.  They are having a nice year - good for them. But their fans aren't in a position to talk crap to anyone.

Agree here.  Heck!  You even have a handful of St. John's fools fans propping up Seton Hall (basically, doing it to pat themselves on the back).  Until it seems it'll be sustainable, then whoop-de-doo about their good season.  Maybe, they were finally due.   

Yea that's who we will blame. Not your boy who thought it was more important to eat at Rao's and post on Instagram

Of course, there is some blame towards Lavin, but some of this stuff is extremely overplayed.  He doesn't have anything to do with the type of defense we're seeing. 

I'm all for giving Mullin time, similarly as I've done for the coaches prior to him.  But the defense has been abominable.  Wide open looks is a constant and easy forays to the basket has been a centerpiece for this defense.  The latter one is particularly frustrating.

I mentioned earlier in the year the staff needs to do something with this defense, but nothing has changed.  Hopefully, we see better returns on that side of the ball a season from now.

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 01:47:28 PM »
At least if they suck (which they do) show some effort. There was none of that and thats on the staff.  Was not expecting a win but was expecting effort.

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 01:53:06 PM »
At least if they suck (which they do) show some effort. There was none of that and thats on the staff.  Was not expecting a win but was expecting effort.

I said the same thing about the Robert Morris and University of San Francisco games a few years ago, and those teams actually had talent that had been there a few years!
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2016, 02:08:54 PM »

I said the same thing about the Robert Morris and University of San Francisco games a few years ago, and those teams actually had talent that had been there a few years!

As  I have mentioned in the past. They had no business taking the court in Robert Morris game. Should have rejected the NIT bid and be motivated to make tournament following season. San Francisco was also bad effort, but the point is those were blips in a season. This season in 70 percent of games there is no effort that is a huge difference. You dont need to win every game but to show effort in most is not tall order. No excuse for dumb basketball with errant turnovers as a pattern.  I hope next years team shows more consistent effort.

« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »
Creighton going to get in tournament?

goredmen

« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2016, 02:51:31 PM »

No

« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2016, 02:52:48 PM »

I think they need 3 more wins given their RPI.  Could use two more top 50 wins.  Even then, they'd be a bubble team

Foad

« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2016, 02:55:35 PM »
As  I have mentioned in the past. They had no business taking the court in Robert Morris game. Should have rejected the NIT bid and be motivated to make tournament following season. San Francisco was also bad effort, but the point is those were blips in a season. This season in 70 percent of games there is no effort that is a huge difference. You dont need to win every game but to show effort in most is not tall order. No excuse for dumb basketball with errant turnovers as a pattern.  I hope next years team shows more consistent effort.

Lavin was 13-19 with what was allegedly the best recruiting class in school history. They lost lost to NE by 14, South Florida by 15, Pitt by 20, Cincinnati by 22, Syracuse by 25, and Seton Hall by 30, that's with two NBA players and the third leading scorer in school history. Mullin's won half that many games with an awful recruiting class and the dreck that fraud you love left him with.

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2016, 03:03:55 PM »
I'm falling madly in love with Foad.

Also who the hell is St John's to reject a #1 seed in the NIT?!?!? What kind of crap is that? Play the tournament with some God damn pride, it was no one but their fault they missed the NCAA's that year.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:04:10 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 03:09:36 PM »
Perhaps the coach should have motivated the team to actually play hard against an inferior opponent and -- this is going out on the limb -- try to win a game.  If Lavin's relationship with Sampson was as good as people say, you think the former could have motivated the latter to play with some pride in what was his last game as a Johnnie.

« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 03:14:01 PM »
How about one better - maybe making the tournament with a roster full of upperclassmen, several of whom are either playing in the NBA, D-League, or were drafted, in addition to one of the best scorers we've had in the past 20 years, one of the best shot blockers we've ever had, and others.  The second unit for the 2013-2014 squad would blow the doors off of the team we put out this year.

« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2016, 03:25:14 PM »

Lavin was 13-19 with what was allegedly the best recruiting class in school history. They lost lost to NE by 14, South Florida by 15, Pitt by 20, Cincinnati by 22, Syracuse by 25, and Seton Hall by 30, that's with two NBA players and the third leading scorer in school history. Mullin's won half that many games with an awful recruiting class and the dreck that fraud you love left him with.

Do you mean that same team Dunlap coached that never got here intact and beat West Virginia with 5 players and UCLA/Notre Dame with 6? And nearly took down Duke with 6? That was ALL freshman. Is that the team or are you thinking of another one?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:26:23 PM by friendofjohnnie »

Foad

« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2016, 03:42:32 PM »

Do you mean that same team Dunlap coached that never got here intact and beat West Virginia with 5 players and UCLA/Notre Dame with 6? And nearly took down Duke with 6? That was ALL freshman. Is that the team or are you thinking of another one?

You have a variety of new excuses nearly every post to explain away the fact that Lavin sucked, pretty clear you were paying attention while you were at the feet of the master. Anyway, yes, that's the 13 win team I was thinking of. But it wasn't ALL freshmen. Gazundheit wasn't a freshman, Stith wasn't a freshman, and Lindsey might have been a freshman but he was like 40.

« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 04:40:47 PM »

Lavin had 15 months to recruit that massive class.  Mullin had 3 months to recruit the class he has in.  I'm sure you have some awareness of recruiting, so I hope you understand how unprecedented it is to recruit such a massive class with such little time, and how few high-major players are available April 1st. I would also tell you that I have seen far more players get on the floor for loose balls or sacrifice their body out of bounds this year under Mullin than I ever saw under Lavin.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2016, 04:50:45 PM »

Lavin had 15 months to recruit that massive class.  Mullin had 3 months to recruit the class he has in.  I'm sure you have some awareness of recruiting, so I hope you understand how unprecedented it is to recruit such a massive class with such little time, and how few high-major players are available April 1st. I would also tell you that I have seen far more players get on the floor for loose balls or sacrifice their body out of bounds this year under Mullin than I ever saw under Lavin.

This current group of players isn't diving for shit. They aren't even playing attention half the time. If you want to give Mullin a pass because he had little to work with and no time to field a team, that's more than reasonable. But this group simply doesn't get after it. Let's just be glad they will be gone soon.

« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2016, 05:00:35 PM »

This current group of players isn't diving for shit. They aren't even playing attention half the time. If you want to give Mullin a pass because he had little to work with and no time to field a team, that's more than reasonable. But this group simply doesn't get after it. Let's just be glad they will be gone soon.

The effort the last 2 game has been lousy but you are wrong. I have frequently seen players on the floor, taking charges or flying out bounds for loose balls, more often than I saw the last group doing so, especially in their first few years. It's something I pay  very close attention to when I watch games.

They need to get the guys to play harder these final few games than they had been the last 2, there is no doubt about that.  But effort for majority of the season has been there. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:01:35 PM by TRabinowitz »

« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2016, 05:25:34 PM »
^^This. I think the only person I ever saw take charges on the last team was Dom. Everyone on this team does it or at least tries. And for all the crap you wanna give Durand, he's on the floor quicker than anybody.

« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »
'They had no business taking the court in Robert Morris game. Should have rejected the NIT bid.' 

Why not?

« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2016, 06:51:31 PM »
I'm falling madly in love with Foad.

You might want to speak to your therapist about that.  (or at least Mrs. Foad)

« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2016, 07:09:10 PM »
'They had no business taking the court in Robert Morris game. Should have rejected the NIT bid.' 

Why not?

We here at St John's are ABOVE the sad little NIT tournament. For #reasons.