Turn the page!!!!!!

• 60 replies

hnk

Turn the page!!!!!!
« on: February 28, 2016, 05:24:16 PM »
The generational nightmare of St. John's basketball is about over. 

One week from today, every day forward the basketball program will make visible progress.   The march forward has already begun these last ten months even if not always visible. 

I for one look forward to watching and enjoying. 

On the other hand, while hopeful, I recognize the turn around will probably not happen overnight.  Also, I doubt the trajectory will be straight up, but more likely, two steps forward and then a step sideways or even one backward.

Next years team will be young and undersized (at least in terms of front court width if not height and back court width and height.) 

Most of our starting five would not start on other Big East teams.  Many of the other rotation players would not get real minutes on other Big East teams.  Keeping a check on expectations is only reasonable.

I can't wait.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:25:18 PM by hnk »

ras

Re: Turn the page!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:57:18 PM »

One week from today, every day forward the basketball program will make visible progress.   The march forward has already begun these last ten months even if not always visible. 

On the other hand, while hopeful, I recognize the turn around will probably not happen overnight.  Also, I doubt the trajectory will be straight up, but more likely, two steps forward and then a step sideways or even one backward.

Next years team will be young and undersized (at least in terms of front court width if not height and back court width and height.) 

Most of our starting five would not start on other Big East teams.  Many of the other rotation players would not get real minutes on other Big East teams.  Keeping a check on expectations is only reasonable.

I can't wait.

Unfortunately ,it is near the end of the season and not one of our freshman looked good today. Ponds and Lovett will both be freshman and they are small. My expecrations are tempered.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »
Horrible coaching, no effort on defense. With these returning freshmen and a batch of new freshmen, can't expect much  improvement.

Glad I got a jump on yardwork today and have something to show for this beautiful day v having the whole day rotate around Creighton game.

paultzman

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 07:26:39 PM »

I can't wait.

Unfortunately ,it is near the end of the season and not one of our freshman looked good today. Ponds and Lovett will both be freshman and they are small. My expecrations are tempered.

Wise

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 07:41:51 PM »
I think Mullin has been given way to lenient of a free pass this year. I expected them to be bad, but to lose to a middle tier of the conference team by 41 points is embarrassing and inexcusable. You can see the team has some semblance of talent. They played #5 in the country Xavier very well both times, and should have beaten another tourny team, Seton Hall. How you can go from an effort like that to this joke today has gotta fall on the coach. I'm not dismissing Mullin obviously, we all knew this would be a rough year, but he's gonna have to show something next year with all the talent he's bringing in next year because so far I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'm not the least bit impressed with his/any of the staff's in game coaching.

wpc77

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »
The comps in recent years (college star who plays well to all star level in nba, gets first job in college as head coach) are hoiberg, drexler, alford.  Hoiberg had 16 wins, drexler 10, alford (not at a d1 school) has 4. Year 2 was 23, 9 and 20, respectively.  Year 3 was 23, fired and 23....

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 08:55:46 PM »
I haven't said anything on Mullin this year since i said he gets a pass.

But to be down 29pnts at halftime? You gotta be kidding me.
Where's the heart? Where's the improvement?

I expect a much better game on Saturday

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »
This team is just so up and down it's hard to put it on coach. Sometimes they play hard and make shots, sometimes they don't.

Next year will be here soon enough. Two more games.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 08:59:46 PM »
I think Mullin has been given way to lenient of a free pass this year. I expected them to be bad, but to lose to a middle tier of the conference team by 41 points is embarrassing and inexcusable. You can see the team has some semblance of talent. They played #5 in the country Xavier very well both times, and should have beaten another tourny team, Seton Hall. How you can go from an effort like that to this joke today has gotta fall on the coach. I'm not dismissing Mullin obviously, we all knew this would be a rough year, but he's gonna have to show something next year with all the talent he's bringing in next year because so far I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I'm not the least bit impressed with his/any of the staff's in game coaching.

We really don't know what will be joining us next season, but I agree, what we've seen from the coaching has been pretty awful. Everyone gave Lavin hell because it seemed he couldn't succeed with Dunlap. So Lavin was the closer, and Dunlap was the strategist. Now, it seems this 24 year old kid is the strategist, the assistant coaches are the recruiters and Mullin is the name.

I've seen enough pictures of him in short shorts. We need to see more. A lot more.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 09:05:25 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 09:04:43 PM »
This team is just so up and down it's hard to put it on coach. Sometimes they play hard and make shots, sometimes they don't.

The coach should want to play the guys who play hard, and the guys who don't play hard, he could bury them on the bench, and let them watch. Maybe M'vouika has had two surgeries, I really don't give shit, but he shouldn't be playing, period. I don't care why he's terrible. He's terrible, and that should be enough of a reason for him not to play.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:52:40 AM by Poison »

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 09:24:19 PM »

The coach to play the guys who play hard, and the guys who don't play hard, he could bury them on the bench, and let them watch. Maybe M'vouika has had two surgeries, I really don't give shit, but he shouldn't be playing, period. I don't care why he's terrible. He's terrible, and that should be enough of a reason for him not to play.

I do agree that Mullin should be playing Ron, Durand and Felix less. But he is trying to win games and they are the best scorers. Even if they suck. This team sucks. They will be better next year. Ellison and Yakwe didn't just get better because of luck or by themselves like a 22 year old Dom. It will take time but you will all be in love again with this team soon. But even I am at the point of where I wish this season was over.

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 10:02:21 PM »
Ras I agree wholeheartedly with tempering expectations next year.  But to point to our freshman playing bad today as an ominous sign, well I disagree.  Plenty of good, talented freshman have horrific games, even late in the year.  On most teams, they don't play much when they are playing badly, or it gets masked because upperclassmen take over.  We don't have that luxury right now, and it gets magnified. 

I think Yawke has made tremendous strides for a kid who should be playing as a senior in HS right now.  I think Ellison has gotten better.  Sima less so, but I chalk that up to recovering from an injury sustained in the midst of the BE season.  And Mussini is just flat out exposed right now, such that his confidence is shot.  The kid had some good games against better comp this year -- and not just Cuse against the zone, but Indiana as another example.  I think all of these guys will be either really good players (Yawke/Sima) or contributors going forward (Ellison/Mussini).  But it's hard to get a read on this, or the coaching frankly, because of the circumstances we were dealt.

I can't wait.

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 10:59:17 PM »
Agreed turn the page. I bet the rest of the big east is scared to death.

MCNPA

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 11:31:44 PM »
We lost big to Creighton and Seton Hall who we just lost by one point to, just blew the doors off Xavier which is probably the best team in the conference.  We won't have a ton of talent and didn't have a good game.  It happens..  The team starts moving forward talent-wise next year. 

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 12:48:20 AM »
I find posts that are critical of Chris Mullin distasteful.  :down:

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:36 AM »
The only thing I like about the game was getting thrown out

He was telling the refs they  were always not showing him and team no respect and he had enough

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 07:56:29 AM »
It is quite fair to judge Mullin's coaching ability over the next three years or so, legend or not. Throw out this year & see what he can do in an ample period of time.

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 08:17:39 AM »
You guys can continue to make as many excuses as you want. Yesterday was awful. 1st year or not. Lack of talent or not. Getting thrown out of a game is ridiculas when your team is non competive. Maybe one of the guards who left a shooter wide open could have gotten blasted by the coach instead of crying to referees. Since it happened on almost every possession their were plenty of times he could make his point. Were any adjustments made yesterday? If we couldn't guard their PG, why not try a zone or try anything?
No way we win next year if 2 assistants sit there non participating, the head coach crying, and the team coached by the 4th assistant.
If you watched yesterday's game and don't see a problem you are lying to yourself or I don't want to say it

Poison

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 08:32:55 AM »
You guys can continue to make as many excuses as you want. Yesterday was awful. 1st year or not. Lack of talent or not. Getting thrown out of a game is ridiculas when your team is non competive. Maybe one of the guards who left a shooter wide open could have gotten blasted by the coach instead of crying to referees. Since it happened on almost every possession their were plenty of times he could make his point. Were any adjustments made yesterday? If we couldn't guard their PG, why not try a zone or try anything?
No way we win next year if 2 assistants sit there non participating, the head coach crying, and the team coached by the 4th assistant.
If you watched yesterday's game and don't see a problem you are lying to yourself or I don't want to say it

It would be nice to see him show some fire and scream at M'vouika, but M'vouika is what he is. A terrible basketball player. Oh, but don't forget, he had two surgeries. So maybe that's it, Mullin knows he has garbage, and to yell at them when he believes that they have no hope is pointless.

Thing is, I think some of these guys could work a lot harder, and from what I can see, they don't want to.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 08:46:10 AM »
I find posts that are critical of Chris Mullin distasteful.  :down:

Its a fan message board.  Do you want everyone to sit around holding hands singing kumbaya?
Accept the fact that fans are well within their right to be critical of anyone and everyone.
Remember who broke the Slice news