Turn the page!!!!!!

• 60 replies

ras

Re: Turn the page!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 02:43:24 PM »
After the first round Big East game, the honeymoon period is officially over. No more excuses next year and beyond-they are his people now.  And even this season was a failure of sorts. I beg to wonder how many of you saw us winning only 1 Big East game and losing to both Incarnate Word and NJIT and getting smoked by DePaul.  Can make all the excuses you want about not having own people but in the end not enough effort was shown this year collectively.

-I saw us sweeping the cupcakes and winning at least 3-4 games in BE this season with 1 huge upset in Conference -that has not happened, not even close unless Providence this weekend or BE Tourny. Been blown out in most games this year.

-Things to take away from this season-  Yakwe, Sima potential, Extra year of Lovett and Syracuse game. That is the extent of it.

-Next year with actual guards there had better be substantial improvement. And that means at or slighly above 500 in Conference, sweeping cupcakes and if we lose make it close not a destruction.  NIT lock and knocking on door of tourney is not too much to ask. If we reach that, year 3 we should be close to top in BE and Tourney lock for years to come if recruiting soon follows.
Other than DePaul, how many BE teams do you think we are going to jump next year? I think we will be a bottom half BE team next year and will not have a .500 conference record. I'm not a pessimist but a realist. I will do cartwheels if we finish .500, that is a big jump. I hope you are right and I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:44:58 PM by ras »

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 02:44:14 PM »
2 years away ras

ras

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 02:45:45 PM »

« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2016, 02:47:39 PM »

-Next year with actual guards there had better be substantial improvement. And that means at or slighly above 500 in Conference, sweeping cupcakes and if we lose make it close not a destruction.  NIT lock and knocking on door of tourney is not too much to ask. If we reach that, year 3 we should be close to top in BE and Tourney lock for years to come if recruiting soon follows.

That is too much to ask IMO.  We'll be legitimately deep but also very young and with an experienced coaching staff.  Target should be a .500 overall record, to demonstrate real improvement with the young core, and to continue to recruit at the highest level.  If we are in the mix for the tournament (i.e. 19+ wins), that might represent the biggest year over year turnaround in high major basketball history.

« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »
I saw us winning 2-3 more games in the non-confernence, and another game or two in the Big East, although once Lovett was ineligible I figured that 3 would be a long shot.

To be clear, this isn't just about Mullin not having his "own" recruits.  Had Lavin recruited competently the past 2 years, instead of milking our school for money and posting pictures on Instagram, our staff could have taken over a team with a few competent upperclassmen and perhaps won some more games.  Many coaches taking over programs have that luxury - like Lavin, who inherited a team of seniors that was in the NIT the year before.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, and we were left with the equivalent of an expansion team in its first year.

As far as conference upsets go, we almost (and should have) beat Seton Hall two Sunday's ago, and they are playing as well as anyone in the league right now.  So that would have been an upset.  But I understand that whatever lens your viewing this season is filled with so much delusional Lavin Kool-Aid that you will continue to harp on our current staff rather than lash out at the culprit behind this horrific season.

After the first round Big East game, the honeymoon period is officially over. No more excuses next year and beyond-they are his people now.  And even this season was a failure of sorts. I beg to wonder how many of you saw us winning only 1 Big East game and losing to both Incarnate Word and NJIT and getting smoked by DePaul.  Can make all the excuses you want about not having own people but in the end not enough effort was shown this year collectively.

-I saw us sweeping the cupcakes and winning at least 3-4 games in BE this season with 1 huge upset in Conference -that has not happened, not even close unless Providence this weekend or BE Tourny. Been blown out in most games this year.

-Things to take away from this season-  Yakwe, Sima potential, Extra year of Lovett and Syracuse game. That is the extent of it.

« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »

That is too much to ask IMO.  We'll be legitimately deep but also very young and with an experienced coaching staff.  Target should be a .500 overall record, to demonstrate real improvement with the young core, and to continue to recruit at the highest level.  If we are in the mix for the tournament (i.e. 19+ wins), that might represent the biggest year over year turnaround in high major basketball history.

Actually, the biggest year over year turnaround that I can recall were the '97-'98 and '98-'99 Ohio State Buckeyes' teams.  I remember they added a couple of top 100-125 freshmen in '98-'99, but the ultimate playmaker they brought in was Scoonie Penn.   I believed Ohio State only won 8 games in '97-'98, and probably won close to 30 games the following season, as they beat us to go to the Final Four in '98-'99.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:58:30 PM by mjdinkins »

Foad

« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2016, 02:58:06 PM »
I saw us winning 2-3 more games in the non-confernence, and another game or two in the Big East, although once Lovett was ineligible I figured that 3 would be a long shot.

To be clear, this isn't just about Mullin not having his "own" recruits.  Had Lavin recruited competently the past 2 years, instead of milking our school for money and posting pictures on Instagram, our staff could have taken over a team with a few competent upperclassmen and perhaps won some more games.  Many coaches taking over programs have that luxury - like Lavin, who inherited a team of seniors that was in the NIT the year before.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, and we were left with the equivalent of an expansion team in its first year.

As far as conference upsets go, we almost (and should have) beat Seton Hall two Sunday's ago, and they are playing as well as anyone in the league right now.  So that would have been an upset.  But I understand that whatever lens your viewing this season is filled with so much delusional Lavin Kool-Aid that you will continue to harp on our current staff rather than lash out at the culprit behind this horrific season.

You're one of my favorite posters, it's a shame you top post, which is a barbaric practice.

« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2016, 03:05:52 PM »
Ha point taken

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »

Actually, the biggest year over year turnaround that I can recall were the '97-'98 and '98-'99 Ohio State Buckeyes' teams.  I remember they added a couple of top 100-125 freshmen in '98-'99, but the ultimate playmaker they brought in was Scoonie Penn.   I believed Ohio State only won 8 games in '97-'98, and probably won close to 30 games the following season, as they beat us to go to the Final Four in '98-'99.

Alright, you've convinced me.  Final Four next year!

« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 03:19:59 PM »
How is it "Lavin Cool aid to be Big East 500 with....
Thats a lineup with mostly 4 Stars and Sima arguably if he develops will be NBA caliber player. Do not sell the talent short, but they must put in the effort.

PG Lovett
SG Ponds/Ahmed
SF  Yakwe
PF Sima/Freudenberg
C Freudenberg/Sima

On paper thats a damn good team with Mussini, Ellison, Owens, Mussini, Amar, Williams coming off bench. And this does not add Rawle or possibly Thon.

« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 03:20:06 PM »
I think we can all agree that Scoonie Penn fouled Erick Barkley.

hnk

« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »
There are going to be a lot of really good teams in the Big East next year.

« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2016, 05:27:52 PM »
Thats a lineup with mostly 4 Stars and Sima arguably if he develops will be NBA caliber player. Do not sell the talent short, but they must put in the effort.

PG Lovett
SG Ponds/Ahmed
SF  Yakwe
PF Sima/Freudenberg
C Freudenberg/Sima

On paper thats a damn good team with Mussini, Ellison, Owens, Mussini, Amar, Williams coming off bench. And this does not add Rawle or possibly Thon.

Talented and deep but very young.  4-5 teenagers and a JUCO transfer. 

derk

« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 05:36:53 PM »

PG Lovett
SG Ponds/Ahmed
SF  Yakwe
PF Sima/Freudenberg
C Freudenberg/Sima

[/quote

Where' s the beef

derk

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2016, 05:37:57 PM »
Where's the beef ?

TONYD3

« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2016, 05:55:02 PM »
I think we can all agree that Scoonie Penn fouled Erick Barkley.
Definitely a fxckibg foul

« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »

PG Lovett
SG Ponds/Ahmed
SF  Yakwe
PF Sima/Freudenberg
C Freudenberg/Sima

Sima hasn't shown any ability to be a 4. Front line of Sima at 5; Yakwe 4; and three guards of Ahmed, Ponds and Lovett for starters. Off the bench Owens, Amer, Freudenberg and Williams? up top and Ellison and Mussini in the back court. Could still use a JC PG as a backup to Lovett and a Lamont Middletown/Ty Grant JC as well for beef in the front court.

« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2016, 06:01:41 PM »
Don't see where Amar and Williams are ahead of Jones on the depth chart.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2016, 06:13:38 PM »
Don't see where Amar and Williams are ahead of Jones on the depth chart.

Agree, Amar is just not very good & who knows with Williams.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:15:12 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2016, 06:17:57 PM »

PG Lovett
SG Ponds/Ahmed
SF  Yakwe
PF Sima/Freudenberg
C Freudenberg/Sima

Talented and deep but very young.  4-5 teenagers and a JUCO transfer. 

Youngest team in the country?