First Mullin Media Bash

• 94 replies

Poison

Re: First Mullin Media Bash
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 03:41:53 PM »
What have any of you seen that you are confident in .500 in conference next year ?

YouTube videos from 2 years ago.

Foad

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 03:48:29 PM »
What have any of you seen that you are confident in .500 in conference next year ?

Leaving aside the exceptionally talented senior laden team he was fortunate enough to inherit from Norm Roberts, Lavin didn't go .500 in conference until his third year with his freshman class. Why do you have higher standards for SJU great Chris Mullin than you did for the repulsive Steve Lavin?

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »
"Patience and Progress" better? It's in quotes now as one full name

First Name: Patience
Middle Name: And
Last Name: Progress.

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 04:11:29 PM »

Leaving aside the exceptionally talented senior laden team he was fortunate enough to inherit from Norm Roberts, Lavin didn't go .500 in conference until his third year with his freshman class. Why do you have higher standards for SJU great Chris Mullin than you did for the repulsive Steve Lavin?
Are you fxcking with me? Exceptionally talented?

Foad

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 04:20:32 PM »

Are you fxcking with me? Exceptionally talented?

Yes, exceptionally talented: Hardy (1st team all BE, honorable mention AA), DJ Kennedy (12th leading scorer in school history, played in the NBA), Brownlee, Horne, Burrell (6th Man of the year) and three or four more seniors who went on to play professionally. Exceptionally talented.

TONYD3

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 04:24:07 PM »
Still think u are messing with me. But did those sucked before he got there and u know that.

Foad

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 04:46:26 PM »
Still think u are messing with me. But did those sucked before he got there and u know that.

Yeah, Dwight Hardy sucked and Lavin turned him into an All American in three months. Good one. I know that you're in love but there's no need to bash the players to prove it. Why not send him flowers and a card or something.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 05:33:11 PM »
I actually have heard of all those school he mentioned in the article. Incarnate Word is a San Antonio school. At one time their tower was the tallest building in San Antonio. The school is also located near Fort Sam Houston, which held Geronimo prisoner near their clock tower. Now you know and that's half a battle.
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2016, 05:33:26 PM »

Yeah, Dwight Hardy sucked and Lavin turned him into an All American in three months. Good one. I know that you're in love but there's no need to bash the players to prove it. Why not send him flowers and a card or something.

[/quote
All I know is they weren't good one year and they were good the next. Sucked wasn't a nice word. Yes I give Lavin credit. If u don't give him credit I think u are crazy. That year was fun. I enjoyed it better then the elite 8 year.

Dan

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 12:16:05 AM »
what a shit article

summary:

I WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a hot take

Foad

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »
I give Lavin credit. If u don't give him credit I think u are crazy.

Odd how Lavin's magical coaching abilities only manifested themselves every four years when he was coaching seniors. It sounds like one of those video games where you drop a super bomb that vaporizes all your enemies and then you have to wait for the power bar to fully energize before you can use it again. 

MCNPA

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 09:08:58 AM »
All new coaches should get minimum 4 years to build a program.  In Mullin's case he inherited absolutely nothing.  He didn't even inherit enough players to field a team.  I'm not sure how anybody could expect much more in a very competitive D1 conference with the team we had to piece together in like 4 months, and Mullin and the assistants did an amazing job at that,

The guy needs to have a full team of his recruits, with underclassmen and upperclassmen that the staff developed.  Most of this year's successful teams are loaded with seniors, and ones that their HC had recruited.  We started with nothing.   Give the staff a few years to show what they can do,

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
All new coaches should get minimum 4 years to build a program.  In Mullin's case he inherited absolutely nothing.  He didn't even inherit enough players to field a team.  I'm not sure how anybody could expect much more in a very competitive D1 conference with the team we had to piece together in like 4 months, and Mullin and the assistants did an amazing job at that,

The guy needs to have a full team of his recruits, with underclassmen and upperclassmen that the staff developed.  Most of this year's successful teams are loaded with seniors, and ones that their HC had recruited.  We started with nothing.   Give the staff a few years to show what they can do,

+1
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2016, 01:55:50 PM »
Four years is an awfully long time to ask. 

It would be less if the inexperienced staff brought in some experience...i.e. a defensive whiz who did it somewhere before.   You can't win without defense.  Right now, there's no one who can teach it.

Wods317

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2016, 02:50:42 PM »
Four years is an awfully long time to ask. 

It would be less if the inexperienced staff brought in some experience...i.e. a defensive whiz who did it somewhere before.   You can't win without defense.  Right now, there's no one who can teach it.
When your left with nothing I really don't think four years is that crazy. Four years is fine to give them to build a consistent NCAA tournament team but we need to see improvements each year. We have Norm more then 4 so why would Chris get any less.

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2016, 04:10:07 PM »
Unless they replace him with Walter Berry, Mullin should never be fired.

hnk

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2016, 04:37:27 PM »
I can't wait until someone attacks him for poor coaching and or sitting on the scorer's table during an Elite 8 appearance.

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2016, 05:13:41 PM »
Unless they replace him with Walter Berry, Mullin should never be fired.

Wait a minute.  What's going on here?  We haven't agreed on anything since you were turning out tail of the tapes on Beb and Baldi body shots seemed like a plausible idea. 

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2016, 08:19:01 PM »
I refuse to throw in the towel on St. Jean and his game coaching ability.

Yes, he's young.. Yes, he's got limited sideline experience, especially at this level, but he comes from a solid background in player development, father w/ NBA tenure and seeing his educational background has to have a good head on his shoulders and demonstrates intensity and focus.

If he's not here, he'd likely be somewhere else on a steady climb to head coaching..   Assumingh Mullin's successful, it would be great if there was a true successor to the program... whether it be St. Jean or Matt A (assuming he can coach X & O's and not just be a deadly recruiter).   Last thing I want it one of these guys leaving after 1-2 NCAA trips and getting the call up elsewhere. 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:22:24 PM by RedStormNC »

TONYD3

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2016, 08:20:58 PM »
I refuse to throw in the towel on St. Jean and his game coaching ability.

Yes, he's young.. Yes, he's got limited sideline experience, especially at this level, but he comes from a solid background in player development, father w/ NBA tenure and seeing his educational background has to have a good head on his shoulders and demostrates intensity and focus.

I think he is good also. But quite a bit is being asked of him.