New Stadium

• 47 replies

TONYD3

Re: New Stadium
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 12:15:07 PM »
MSG is a bargain at $100,000 per game.  Multiply that by 12 games/yr. = $1.2 million.  It would take at least 30 yrs for that to cost us what building a new arena would.  When you factor in the importance of MSG to our recruiting and the benefit of a $1B renovation that MSG received, it makes absolutely no sense to build a new arena.  As much as I hate CA, I would rather just schedule more games at MSG.  Close up the top tiers (until we can fill them) ala Seton Hall, and declare a filled bottom bowl a sellout.
Agree with everything except closing up the top and calling it a sellout. Their were some people up there yesterday. We have had sellout a before. When the next one happens it has to be for real.

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
MSG is a bargain at $100,000 per game.  Multiply that by 12 games/yr. = $1.2 million.  It would take at least 30 yrs for that to cost us what building a new arena would.  When you factor in the importance of MSG to our recruiting and the benefit of a $1B renovation that MSG received, it makes absolutely no sense to build a new arena.  As much as I hate CA, I would rather just schedule more games at MSG.  Close up the top tiers (until we can fill them) ala Seton Hall, and declare a filled bottom bowl a sellout.
Agree with everything except closing up the top and calling it a sellout. Their were some people up there yesterday. We have had sellout a before. When the next one happens it has to be for real.

Yeah, I was joking about that.  Making fun of the Hall for doing that.

desco80

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 11:48:54 AM »
I'd probably cancel my season tickets if SJU built a new arena.

It would display the absolutely worst kind of leadership imaginable, in my opinion.  There is absolutely no need to make that a priority.  This isn't a professional sports franchise, it's a school. 

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »
One can argue that one of the reasons Xavier is one of the more successful programs is because they have a state of the art arena paired with consistent success. It's also operated by the university and they can have concerts and events there. Yes you get that Madison Square Garden but St. John's has no control over that. Having a bigger arena operated solely by the University can improve the campus life and experience which is a consistent weakness I hear in our recruiting abilities.

And you're right, it's not a professional sports franchise. But schools still need to stay up to date. Carnesecca is an out of date, tiny, and not very fan-friendly arena. Sitting up top is horrendous. Investing in a place where you can maybe convince established musicians/comedians/entertainers to perform will only increase the experience of going to St. John's.

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 01:44:28 PM »
Increase the academic profile and you will get more students.  Make games free for students and you will get greater attendance.  Greater attendance, along with MSG, will help with recruiting.

TONYD3

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 02:51:42 PM »
Tickets for students are cheap. Always have been. They could give away pizza or something. If we start games at 5:00, make it free, and encoursge a circus like atmosphere like the niagra game . We will get students but that was a pathetic idea.

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 03:30:06 PM »

It would display the absolutely worst kind of leadership imaginable, in my opinion.  There is absolutely no need to make that a priority.  This isn't a professional sports franchise, it's a school. 
Yeah what other schools ever build new facilities? Apparently, if you build it desco won't come.

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 05:07:42 PM »

Yeah what other schools ever build new facilities? Apparently, if you build it desco won't come.

I'm assuming that was sarcastic but in case it wasn't...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_basketball_arenas#Current_arenas

Most notably was the University of Louisville, USC, Oregon, Auburn, Ole Miss, Missouri, South Carolina, Saint Louis,

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »
Building a brand new shiny toy may bring in some people at first, but in the end if the product is crap then there will be basketball being played in a brand new empty stadium. There are a few teams that break this trend...

If the school ignored the team for 20+ years what makes you think the students would make it a priority?
The school in all facets is rebuilding  and is heading in the right direction (IMO). There are a few steps that have to be taken first before a new arena is built.

The school has already poured in a lot of money into a team that only won a Big East game...I would question the sanity of the administration to now announce a brand new arena...Unless somebody donated the money for it outright.
-Let Mullin and his staff continue to build this team and then maintain consistent winning (hasn't happens since Louie)
-Sell out Carnacessca arena on a continuous basis
-Increase the games at MSG with solid attendance numbers
-If upgrades can be made at Carnesseca at a relatively low cost then go for it. 

Cameron seats less than 10,000 and they seem to do pretty well.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:59:00 PM by nudginator59 »
Cougar O' Malley

ras

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 07:28:18 PM »
Building a brand new shiny toy may bring in some people at first, but in the end if the product is crap then there will be basketball being played in a brand new empty stadium. There are a few teams that break this trend...

If the school ignored the team for 20+ years what makes you think the students would make it a priority?
The school in all facets is rebuilding  and is heading in the right direction (IMO). There are a few steps that have to be taken first before a new arena is built.

The school has already poured in a lot of money into a team that only won a Big East game...I would question the sanity of the administration to now announce a brand new arena...Unless somebody donated the money for it outright.
-Let Mullin and his staff continue to build this team and then maintain consistent winning (hasn't happens since Louie)
-Sell out Carnacessca arena on a continuous basis
-Increase the games at MSG with solid attendance numbers
-If upgrades can be made at Carnesseca at a relatively low cost then go for it. 

Cameron seats less than 10,000 and they seem to do pretty well.
My sentiments exactly. Let's start winning first , than worry about a stadium.

MCNPA

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 07:31:20 PM »
Winning is everything.  We hired a great staff and some assistants that can really recruit.  New stadiums simply aren't happening.  Let's just start winning again...

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 07:59:33 PM »
msg is the nicest arena in the country. Easy to get to from LI and the city. They serve beer. Why would we want to go anywhere else? Maybe the silliest idea yet .

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 09:20:10 PM »
From what I know they want to lower the student section seating on baseline to the floor instead of being upper deck. Outside of that I don't think there is much else happening. Admittedly I don't know much on the matter.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 09:26:58 PM »
From what I know they want to lower the student section seating on baseline to the floor instead of being upper deck. Outside of that I don't think there is much else happening. Admittedly I don't know much on the matter.

That would be a big change. Need to have the arena feel to it and those ten foot walls behind the basket just don't give that effect.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 09:34:37 PM »
i always thought the high student was to prevent them from storming the court. in terms of a new arena. it would be nice but i don't think it is happening anytime soon. the best thing to do now is to improve taffner field house. it is a nice facility but it lacks many the amenities.  The building is almost ten years old.

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 09:42:22 PM »
I'm a little young to remember exactly what Carnesecca looked like before the riser student section but looking at this old pic how would they be able to lower them without getting rid of this huge wall?

I'm for it though, hope they can make it work.

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 10:24:14 PM »
i always thought the high student was to prevent them from storming the court. 

No, the losing takes care of that.

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 11:35:35 PM »
I'm a little young to remember exactly what Carnesecca looked like before the riser student section but looking at this old pic how would they be able to lower them without getting rid of this huge wall?

I'm for it though, hope they can make it work.
You can't lower the seats because the room just isn't there. If they could they would have done it 10 years ago when they refurbished. This isn't the first time anyone ever thought of this.  It was talked about in the early 80's.  It was also talked about early in Jarvis' tenure.  It's not feasible.  They did the best they could with CA.  We have the Garden.  All we need are the wins.  Nova's place isn't exactly the Taj Mahal and winning doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

desco80

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 11:41:54 PM »

Just because other schools throw away money doesnt mean SJU has to.   Im ok paying a few high priced coaches.   Spending hundreds of millions is a different matter entirely. 
And also unnecessary.   The big east was founded on inner city catholic schools using pro arenas.   Stick to the formula.   Dont reinvent the wheel.

That said.  If donors put up most of the money i have no problem renovating CA.  But as others have pointed put, that may not be feasible. 

desco80

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 11:44:22 PM »
There used to be bleachers that went down to the floor behind the baskets.  Before the renovations.
i remeber as a kid, the crazy fan who had a referees shirt used to sit in said bleechers behind one of the baskets.