New Stadium

• 47 replies

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
New Stadium
« on: March 04, 2016, 12:58:50 PM »
I recently saw/heard somewhere that Mullin wanted to look into renovating the arena. I think this is much needed and would go a long way into getting more interest from recruits. I don't really see much room to renovate it thought to add adequate seating. I mean we seat just over 5,500 right now. I think we need to get closer to 10,000 and provide a more updated fan experience.

I'm wondering what people think about this? I like the idea of building an arena in nearby Cunningham Park. At most a mile from campus, right of the parkway, ample space, plenty of area for parking lot/structure. You could then make like an athlete's dorm in place of Carnesecca arena or improve the facilities as a better workout facility for the players.

We have to do a lot to pique the interest of students. Why does Soccer draw so well but College Basketball doesn't. Soccer has been more successful but so has baseball and yet that NEVER draws.

Would a new arena help garner interest? Is it moving it the best idea? A lot of kids live off campus but keeping it on campus and enticing the freshman to come out would help in long run.

I'm taking advantage of the $35 reception and game ticket as a graduate of last decade for the Providence game. I'll be doing it A LOT more next season. They have great offers for Alumni, but there's very little offer for students. Maybe make the student section bigger?

I'm curious to hear what people think. What's the best plan for a new arena? How do we gain more interst?

Re: New Stadium
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 01:02:36 PM »
I don't think the school could fight through the resistance of taking city park land.  Good idea and good location, but would be overwhelmingly difficult to get through that obstacle IMO.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 01:17:17 PM »
Use Arthur Ashe stadium.  23-thousand seat capacity, but upper section could be blocked.  Dome to be completed by September.  Seven train takes you right there (Citifield stop)  WNBA played exhibition there, so it's doable.  We can save Carnesecca Arena for the Seton Hall games.

ras

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 01:23:15 PM »
A new arena would be nice. But we have MSG as a selling point and for our best games. How much money are we going to put into a stadium for our lower tier opponents?

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 01:30:48 PM »
I really like the Arthur Ashe idea. But yes the Garden is a big selling point. But this year we played 10 games in Queens and 8 at MSG. Kids look at the MSG factor and say "sweet!". But then they see the schedule and see that we play over half our games in an uncomfortable and outdated 5,000 seat arena that is fitting of a top flight mid-major program.

I think Students don't want to go to games but most of the seating is uncomfortable, there's hardly any concessions, very little fanfare and hoopla. I think renovating the arena could do a lot to build support.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »
Like your ideas filmmaker but as to a bigger student section we may have to hire seat fillers.  :)

Wods317

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 01:42:07 PM »
I think we are going to have to win some games and start selling out before they even entertain the idea of a new arena. If we start winning consistently this idea will gain a lot of traction. As for the site, that I am not sure where the new area would be.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:03:33 PM »
Didn't SJU recently update the arena?  Would adding a few thousand more seats really make a big difference? The goal is to get better sell more tickets and have more games at MSG.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 02:07:11 PM »
Didn't SJU recently update the arena?  Would adding a few thousand more seats really make a big difference? The goal is to get better sell more tickets and have more games at MSG.
Yeah they put in seat backs for a privileged few and ass cups for the rest of us if you want to call that an updating.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 02:48:55 PM »
I recently saw/heard somewhere that Mullin wanted to look into renovating the arena. I think this is much needed and would go a long way into getting more interest from recruits. I don't really see much room to renovate it thought to add adequate seating. I mean we seat just over 5,500 right now. I think we need to get closer to 10,000 and provide a more updated fan experience.

I'm wondering what people think about this? I like the idea of building an arena in nearby Cunningham Park. At most a mile from campus, right of the parkway, ample space, plenty of area for parking lot/structure. You could then make like an athlete's dorm in place of Carnesecca arena or improve the facilities as a better workout facility for the players.

We have to do a lot to pique the interest of students. Why does Soccer draw so well but College Basketball doesn't. Soccer has been more successful but so has baseball and yet that NEVER draws.

Would a new arena help garner interest? Is it moving it the best idea? A lot of kids live off campus but keeping it on campus and enticing the freshman to come out would help in long run.

I'm taking advantage of the $35 reception and game ticket as a graduate of last decade for the Providence game. I'll be doing it A LOT more next season. They have great offers for Alumni, but there's very little offer for students. Maybe make the student section bigger?

I'm curious to hear what people think. What's the best plan for a new arena? How do we gain more interst?

Arena was never the problem. Win, and people will break their backs to watch them. Lose like they have this year, and there is no deal that makes it worth it.

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »
Yeah they put in seat backs for a privileged few and ass cups for the rest of us if you want to call that an updating.

Those seatbacks were not cheap. At least the bathroom doesn't smell any more .

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 04:00:23 PM »
1000% msg is great for a ton of reasons, just need to be better so we can justify more games there (would really like to have all BE games there).

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 04:23:16 PM »
Obviously the Garden is great. But you're never going to get all Big East games there and if St. John's could build an arena that holds about 10,000 (roughly the capacity for MSG games) but somehow also manage to keep it contained and have a similar feel to the tightness of a Cameron Indoor or one of the typical college arenas, they would have a big recruiting edge. Obviously that feel is only going to come from winning, but if you can have the closeness and also be on or very close to campus, it makes the campus life that much better too. Imagine having like #12 St. John's (if we ever get that far) playing #4 Villanova in the middle of February and having sold out packed arena where you're right on top of each other and it's not very big so the sound bounces more. You would have the best of both worlds if you can somehow get both of these arenas.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 04:39:28 PM »
Obviously the Garden is great. But you're never going to get all Big East games there and if St. John's could build an arena that holds about 10,000 (roughly the capacity for MSG games) but somehow also manage to keep it contained and have a similar feel to the tightness of a Cameron Indoor or one of the typical college arenas, they would have a big recruiting edge. Obviously that feel is only going to come from winning, but if you can have the closeness and also be on or very close to campus, it makes the campus life that much better too. Imagine having like #12 St. John's (if we ever get that far) playing #4 Villanova in the middle of February and having sold out packed arena where you're right on top of each other and it's not very big so the sound bounces more. You would have the best of both worlds if you can somehow get both of these arenas.

Was SJU ever like that? SJU had more (when they were the Redmen and consistently good) of a pro arrogance about them. Those other schools can do those college things but we play at the garden for a reason. Not saying it can't happen but what basketball traditions does SJU have?  Flag boy for a little bit.

It would be  great to build in some traditions, but I think the overall appeal of being above the college game because SJU is NYC team can have more appeal.

Cameron seats only 8,000 and that place goes crazy. Increase the student sections and maybe overall capacity a little bit, but other wise keep it the same.

If SJU can be consistently good again it should be consider an honor for opponents to play at the Garden because SJU thinks that you are worthy to play them their.
Cougar O' Malley

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 06:05:28 PM »
No, as far as I know, SJU was never like that. But I think it would be smart to build that. And that's what I mean, as much as I think Arthur Ashe is cool, I think building a smaller 8-10,000 seat arena that is kind of packed in (although with comfortable seating) would be very smart. Obviously it's going to take winning in order for that feel to come in to play.

And I agree that teams should eventually consider it an honor that SJU chose to play them at MSG. But at the same time, for those games not scheduled at MSG, it shouldn't feel like you're playing at a top flight mid-major program's arena.

I think it would be kind of cool to expand Carnesecca. Bring both student sections down to the court level, wrap the seating around so it forms a circle around the court, and also build an overhanging mezzanine over each student sections for say recent alumni. Raise the roof maybe a little as well. I'm no architect but I would think it'd be pretty cool to see something like that.

I also think it would be funny if they built like a mini MSG. Same outside design, same seating arrangement but yet smaller and more packed in. I think that would be pretty funny/cool.

And I don't think we should start building a new arena now. Mullin has to prove himself and start building a rep as does the Big East.

But I'm interested to hear people's opinions on the matter. For instance I once thought about what if they built the arena on the Great Lawn. Or took out the Townhouses and put it there (move the townhouses to some fancier complex where the arena is now) what if they moved the lacrosse field to the soccer stadium and put it there?

I think eventually we will have to do it. DePaul is renovating their arena, I think Xavier just built a new stadium, and I'm sure others may follow suit. We will need an upgrade eventually to keep up with the times.

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 06:18:29 PM »
No, as far as I know, SJU was never like that. But I think it would be smart to build that. And that's what I mean, as much as I think Arthur Ashe is cool, I think building a smaller 8-10,000 seat arena that is kind of packed in (although with comfortable seating) would be very smart. Obviously it's going to take winning in order for that feel to come in to play.

And I agree that teams should eventually consider it an honor that SJU chose to play them at MSG. But at the same time, for those games not scheduled at MSG, it shouldn't feel like you're playing at a top flight mid-major program's arena.

I think it would be kind of cool to expand Carnesecca. Bring both student sections down to the court level, wrap the seating around so it forms a circle around the court, and also build an overhanging mezzanine over each student sections for say recent alumni. Raise the roof maybe a little as well. I'm no architect but I would think it'd be pretty cool to see something like that.

I also think it would be funny if they built like a mini MSG. Same outside design, same seating arrangement but yet smaller and more packed in. I think that would be pretty funny/cool.

And I don't think we should start building a new arena now. Mullin has to prove himself and start building a rep as does the Big East.

But I'm interested to hear people's opinions on the matter. For instance I once thought about what if they built the arena on the Great Lawn. Or took out the Townhouses and put it there (move the townhouses to some fancier complex where the arena is now) what if they moved the lacrosse field to the soccer stadium and put it there?

I think eventually we will have to do it. DePaul is renovating their arena, I think Xavier just built a new stadium, and I'm sure others may follow suit. We will need an upgrade eventually to keep up with the times.

Demolishing newly built dorms or building in the one green space on campus is never happening. We have Madison Square Garden. Other schools are trying to catch up to us. Renovate the Carn and try to expand it a little if possible, but it's just not worth the investment to do anything else at this point.

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 07:50:47 PM »
Students go to soccer because it's free and soccer is sort of hot in America now. For like sports hipsters. Make the bball games free and they will come. The Niagara game this year was free for students and it was packed. They just don't want to spend the money.

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 08:21:22 PM »
Students go to soccer because it's free and soccer is sort of hot in America now. For like sports hipsters. Make the bball games free and they will come. The Niagara game this year was free for students and it was packed. They just don't want to spend the money.
Niagra game was embrassing. Plenty of students there but they were acting stupid to win a contest and taking selfies. A Chinese girl sat next to me and I had to explain to her what half time was.

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 10:17:21 AM »
As much as I love the idea of a new on campus arena ~ 10K seats, I just can't see it happening anytime soon. 

Wins will bring some people to games but I struggle to see how the AD will rally the student base long term.  Those students turn into alumni and if they don't support during academic years they will likely have little interest to support later.  Still too many commuter students to make it cohesive.  Free tickets to current students along with lots of free tickets to high schools middle school teams and sports organizations may be only hope of drawing future students to want to both attend SJU and be future supporters of team games.

Let's face it... the campus is not that large.  Besides the Great Lawn green, we've got a lot of real estate tied up on a big baseball diamond and surrounding 3500 seats (paid by Mets) and a running track/lacrosse field (and softball field in a corner somewhere) I do give credit to the idea of the soccer field being above parking.  I assume there is still enough space on the current CA site to made a bigger arena assuming they move a lot of the administrative office space and other workout space etc. or expand into the parking lot  and make a really big parking garage but that's more $.

Thought I read someone suggesting once for school to make deal with city to improve Cunningham to play baseball, softball, soccer there and free up space for basketball arena. Unlikely but unique.

Still a pipe dream now as I have no idea what a brand new 10K seat arena would cost, but unless a donor funded it, I can't see it the board of trustees pulling from school budget especially if we still don't know about long term student draw.

MSG is important if it truly attracts recruits and keeps another local team from claiming it.  Is it the lure of the Garden itself, just playing in Midtown Manhattan ?  Does the presence of Manhattan yield a bigger draw for the general fan that is not alumni just to spend a day/night in NYC ?  With a winning program,  can SJU draw a new fan large base for those wuth non school ties or just historical alligences beyond the exceptions like some members who love the team and have connection even if they did not go to St Johns?  As example, I live in NC now..most people are UNC fans if they did not even attend college but more so as its the flagship public state college with big time athletics.  Less so for NC State even though just as big, or East Carolina or App State and Duke is often distanced as elite private school.

I still enjoy coming up to visit a few times per year and going to games at CA or MSG, I love the semi-small feel of Carnesecca but would just love to chairbacks throughout, more students and focused student section.  Still if this is a showstopper for pulling in big recruits who want to play on big stage then get MSG for more games if we can tow behind the on campus students and commuter students to go into midtown.

Just thankful we still have Garden as fallback.  No idea what it costs the school though.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:00:03 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 11:46:34 AM »
MSG is a bargain at $100,000 per game.  Multiply that by 12 games/yr. = $1.2 million.  It would take at least 30 yrs for that to cost us what building a new arena would.  When you factor in the importance of MSG to our recruiting and the benefit of a $1B renovation that MSG received, it makes absolutely no sense to build a new arena.  As much as I hate CA, I would rather just schedule more games at MSG.  Close up the top tiers (until we can fill them) ala Seton Hall, and declare a filled bottom bowl a sellout.