Marcus Lovett hopeful to get cleared

• 473 replies

TONYD3

Re: Marcus Lovett hopeful to get cleared
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »
I think they can all play in exhibition games in the meantime. Is that correct?
They could let me play in exhibition games. They dont count for anything. The guy from last year played in the exhibition games.

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »
DeLarosa also played exhibition game then never played again.

« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2015, 10:12:05 PM »
They could let me play in exhibition games. They dont count for anything. The guy from last year played in the exhibition games.

Thomas didnt, DeLarosa did play in the first but originally he was cleared, once he was under suspicion he didnt play in the next game if I remember correctly. Marco and Orlando both didnt play in exhibitions while waiting for clearance.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »

Thomas didnt, DeLarosa did play in the first but originally he was cleared, once he was under suspicion he didnt play in the next game if I remember correctly. Marco and Orlando both didnt play in exhibitions while waiting for clearance.

I thought he played in a scrimmage but not in any exhibitions.

pmg911

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »
It really is so hard to believe that the NCAA makes these kids wait this long for an answer.

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2015, 05:48:42 PM »
It really is so hard to believe that the NCAA makes these kids wait this long for an answer.
It shows how much they really care about the kids.

« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2015, 06:43:12 PM »
He better be eligible, I drafted him in a BE fantasy league, don't screw me on this.

« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2015, 09:39:26 PM »
He better be eligible, I drafted him in a BE fantasy league, don't screw me on this.

What round you get him in?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2015, 06:23:27 PM »
I actually think it's better if Yawke isn't cleared this year. Team will be more ready to compete next season.

But how will it look for Chris Mullin if he wins 7 games this year? I think it's easier to dismiss an experienced coach in a situation like that and not bother to consider the inherited roster and state of the program's incoming talent.

He needs enough talent to show that he can coach. Otherwise how can recruits see what they are committing to?

Say LoVett doesn't clear, for argument's sake...

Mussini
Ron MV
DJ
Darien Williams
Sima

Ellison
Amar
Felix.....

We should still win our share of games.

This staff will maximize the talent available and go from there.

and then we are feeding Ponds, Yakwe, Freudenberg,Ahmed hopefully...  that's the blueprint, with Owens next year also as a big.

the home run class could include Maker & Alkins -- nice to fantacize.

Which is better:

Mussini, Ron, DJ, Williams and Sima or Hill, Lawrence, Jackson, Gray and Hamilton?

Is this a serious question? Mussini, Williams and Sima have way more upside than any one of those players mentioned from that past team. I barely remember that past group and for good reason. Even from Day 1, I'd still take the current group over that one.

Lets be clear.  As recruits Showtime and Hamilton were perceived to have much higher ceilings than anyone that will play for STJ this year even if Lovett does qualify.  But the exercise was which team would be more likely to achieve more wins.  The year the OP is referring to Showtime and Hamilton were sophs and the other 3 frosh.  I am hopeful that the experience Durand and Mawookie, and to a lesser extent Williams and Balamou, bring will help this team a lot.  The only upper classmen on the other team were Epperson who was gone after 7 games, Diakite who barely played due to injury, Missere who was a walkon, and Special FX who was what he was in college.  There will be exponentially more minutes played by Jr/Sr/20+ year olds on this year's team.

I think it is debatable. Lamont Hamilton's RSCI was 118.  That is very similar to Ellison, who is ranked in the top 100 by 247 sports in spite of missing the summer before his senior season. Showtime was only ranked by one service if memory serves me correctly -- albeit in the top 30 -- and was not top 150 RSCI nor did he ever appear on mock drafts.  Lovett is #76 RSCI and was top 25 for three years. Yakwe would clearly be top 100 RSCI had he not reclassified in the 11th hour.

I think if you asked good NBA scouts who had the best NBA potential off all of the names above entering college, the answer would likely be Ellison even though he's not the flashiest.  There is nothing that disqualifies him from a skill, size, or talent standpoint. 

The most important thing to remember about that old squad was who was coaching.  There is no guarantee Mullin will be better, but he can't possibly be worse.

I mayu have misremembered Hamilton's ranking and only remembered posters saying he was awesome as I did look back and he wasn't ranked as highly as I remember.  Showtime was a more difficult one to quantify.  He was a 5th year and back then many services took you off lists if you were going prep and wouldn't put you on the next year's lists because they didn't list 5th years.  He was the PSAL MVP as a senior and folks were talking about him as being all world before the injury, clearly a top 100 guy.   He was also an AAU and Rucker legend.

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2015, 06:00:26 PM »

What round you get him in?

He was a steal at the end of the 5th round. He was actually the 4th johnny drafted as Sima, Ellison, and Johnson all went before him. Mussini, Jones, Balamou, Williams, Yakwe, and Mvoulka were all drafted in those orders. Ten team league and ten rounds of drafts meant lots of players had to be picked.

« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:06 PM »

Where does this exist?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2015, 12:58:45 AM »
I actually think it's better if Yawke isn't cleared this year. Team will be more ready to compete next season.

But how will it look for Chris Mullin if he wins 7 games this year? I think it's easier to dismiss an experienced coach in a situation like that and not bother to consider the inherited roster and state of the program's incoming talent.

He needs enough talent to show that he can coach. Otherwise how can recruits see what they are committing to?

Mussini
Ron MV
DJ
Darien Williams
Sima

Ellison
Amar
Felix.....

and then we are feeding Ponds, Yakwe, Freudenberg,Ahmed hopefully...  that's the blueprint, with Owens next year also as a big.

Which is better:

Mussini, Ron, DJ, Williams and Sima or Hill, Lawrence, Jackson, Gray and Hamilton?

Is this a serious question? Mussini, Williams and Sima have way more upside than any one of those players mentioned from that past team. I barely remember that past group and for good reason. Even from Day 1, I'd still take the current group over that one.

Lets be clear.  As recruits Showtime and Hamilton were perceived to have much higher ceilings than anyone that will play for STJ this year even if Lovett does qualify.  But the exercise was which team would be more likely to achieve more wins.  The year the OP is referring to Showtime and Hamilton were sophs and the other 3 frosh.  I am hopeful that the experience Durand and Mawookie, and to a lesser extent Williams and Balamou, bring will help this team a lot.  The only upper classmen on the other team were Epperson who was gone after 7 games, Diakite who barely played due to injury, Missere who was a walkon, and Special FX who was what he was in college.  There will be exponentially more minutes played by Jr/Sr/20+ year olds on this year's team.

I think it is debatable. Lamont Hamilton's RSCI was 118.  That is very similar to Ellison, who is ranked in the top 100 by 247 sports in spite of missing the summer before his senior season. Showtime was only ranked by one service if memory serves me correctly -- albeit in the top 30 -- and was not top 150 RSCI nor did he ever appear on mock drafts.  Lovett is #76 RSCI and was top 25 for three years. Yakwe would clearly be top 100 RSCI had he not reclassified in the 11th hour.

I think if you asked good NBA scouts who had the best NBA potential off all of the names above entering college, the answer would likely be Ellison even though he's not the flashiest.  There is nothing that disqualifies him from a skill, size, or talent standpoint. 

The most important thing to remember about that old squad was who was coaching.  There is no guarantee Mullin will be better, but he can't possibly be worse.

I mayu have misremembered Hamilton's ranking and only remembered posters saying he was awesome as I did look back and he wasn't ranked as highly as I remember.  Showtime was a more difficult one to quantify.  He was a 5th year and back then many services took you off lists if you were going prep and wouldn't put you on the next year's lists because they didn't list 5th years.  He was the PSAL MVP as a senior and folks were talking about him as being all world before the injury, clearly a top 100 guy.   He was also an AAU and Rucker legend.

Only Roger Clemens misremembers. Monte was ranked between 90-125 if you consider the pre-season college basketball mags to be the criteria. Hill, you are correct was a 5th year, and he wasn't added to most top 100 lists. However, he was picked by at least one pre-season mag to be the newcomer of the year in the BE, and that's meaningful, because that's before the Big East became the A10.

The point that I was trying to make when I brought them up is that we are drinking the kool-aid when it comes to this new group of players. We have one top 100 kid, and he isn't even qualified to play, yet. When Norm took over, he didn't have a lot to work with, but he had some options, because he was able to bring back Darryl Hill and Lamont Hamilton. He was in a tough spot, because he presented himself so poorly, and because he chose to use returning players like Diakite and Jones, who as we know, were not D1 players.

This comes down to continuity vs starting over. I believe that Mullin knew what he was doing when he moved on from Obekpa and Jordan. Whether he should have or not, we'll see. Saturday will be fun. Hopefully, LoVett will be cleared by then. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 01:02:12 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2015, 01:45:54 AM »

Mussini
Ron MV
DJ
Darien Williams
Sima

Ellison
Amar
Felix.....

Which is better:

Only Roger Clemens misremembers. Monte was ranked between 90-125 if you consider the pre-season college basketball mags to be the criteria. Hill, you are correct was a 5th year, and he wasn't added to most top 100 lists. However, he was picked by at least one pre-season mag to be the newcomer of the year in the BE, and that's meaningful, because that's before the Big East became the A10.

The point that I was trying to make when I brought them up is that we are drinking the kool-aid when it comes to this new group of players. We have one top 100 kid, and he isn't even qualified to play, yet. When Norm took over, he didn't have a lot to work with, but he had some options, because he was able to bring back Darryl Hill and Lamont Hamilton. He was in a tough spot, because he presented himself so poorly, and because he chose to use returning players like Diakite and Jones, who as we know, were not D1 players.

This comes down to continuity vs starting over. I believe that Mullin knew what he was doing when he moved on from Obekpa and Jordan. Whether he should have or not, we'll see. Saturday will be fun. Hopefully, LoVett will be cleared by then. 

Comparing those two kids to a class of six is absurd. You can make a case that Lovett and Ellison are a better duo and that is not even factoring in Sima, Yakwe, Mussini, and Owens.  Also, remember who coached them and who played alongside them.   These six already have a pledge from a top 50 guard for next season. 

Lovett's ceiling is very high and he'll be competing for Big East R.O.Y. if ruled eligible regardless of what the "mags" predict.  Brunson is  an elite talent and would have easily been voted above Showtime as well preseason.  We're talking about a unanimous 5-star player and McDonald's All-American.

Foad

« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2015, 07:02:25 AM »
He was in a tough spot, because he presented himself so poorly, and because he chose to use returning players like Diakite and Jones, who as we know, were not D1 players.

The late Tyler Jones averaged 8 minutes in 19 games in 2005, which was 3 minutes less per game in 7 fewer games than walk on Phil Missere. Diakite averaged 3 minutes in 14 games, twice as many minutes in twice as many games as walk on Devin Mayo.

Hill (1000), Hamilton (900), Lawrence(800), Gray (700), Jackson (600), Williams (500), Missere (300) and Epperson (200) all played more minutes than TJ (150) and MD (50).

Poison

« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2015, 07:42:30 AM »
He was in a tough spot, because he presented himself so poorly, and because he chose to use returning players like Diakite and Jones, who as we know, were not D1 players.

The late Tyler Jones averaged 8 minutes in 19 games in 2005, which was 3 minutes less per game in 7 fewer games than walk on Phil Missere. Diakite averaged 3 minutes in 14 games, twice as many minutes in twice as many games as walk on Devin Mayo.

Hill (1000), Hamilton (900), Lawrence(800), Gray (700), Jackson (600), Williams (500), Missere (300) and Epperson (200) all played more minutes than TJ (150) and MD (50).

They were on the team, and they were on scholarship. Roberts could have told them to take a hike, and given their spots to walk ons. He probably would have gotten more out of anyone else.

Johnny23

« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2015, 07:43:33 AM »

Mussini
Ron MV
DJ
Darien Williams
Sima

Ellison
Amar
Felix.....

Which is better:

Not only did you misremember but you misstated as well. LIke I said, this incoming group is more highly rated than that Hill/Hamilton group. They will also end up being a helluva lot better on the court than that group. Talk about setting the bar low. Outside of St. John's, noone would ever remember the group you're speaking of if you brought them up in a casual convo talking about good BE teams from the last decade. I don't think you'll be able to say the same once this group has a few years under its belt.

Foad

« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »

They were on the team, and they were on scholarship. Roberts could have told them to take a hike, and given their spots to walk ons. He probably would have gotten more out of anyone else.

I disagree with your theory that Norm Roberts had an unsuccessful tenure at SJU because he (a) didn't get enough from players who didn't play and (b) failed to recruit enough walk-ons.

Poison

« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2015, 09:30:56 AM »

I disagree with your theory that Norm Roberts had an unsuccessful tenure at SJU because he (a) didn't get enough from players who didn't play and (b) failed to recruit enough walk-ons.

I disagree with that theory as well, because it's not my theory. Let's stick to the point that I made, or the point that I tried to make. Norm's first year at St.John's vs Mullin's first year at St.John's. I was only comparing talent based on what professional analysts had to say about Norm's and Chris's players.

We keep hearing that all of our incoming players are studs. That would be great. It would obviously be a pleasant surprise if just 2 out of our 8/9 incoming players are studs. The point is that expectations are never tempered here, even when everyone picks us to finish dead last. Norm had very little talent on paper, but he might have had just as much as Chris does now.

Again, I'd love for that to not be the case, but if everyone tells you your drunk, shouldn't you sit down?

Foad

« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »

I disagree with that theory as well, because it's not my theory. Let's stick to the point that I made, or the point that I tried to make. Norm's first year at St.John's vs Mullin's first year at St.John's. I was only comparing talent based on what professional analysts had to say about Norm's and Chris's players.

We keep hearing that all of our incoming players are studs. That would be great. It would obviously be a pleasant surprise if just 2 out of our 8/9 incoming players are studs. The point is that expectations are never tempered here, even when everyone picks us to finish dead last. Norm had very little talent on paper, but he might have had just as much as Chris does now.

Again, I'd love for that to not be the case, but if everyone tells you your drunk, shouldn't you sit down?

I take your point about tempering expectations. Although to be fair the former coach declared at one point or another that each of his players was the best something he had ever seen in his entire career and the fish rots from the head. There will always be delusional posters who compare your Tomas Jasilionstien to Dirk Nowitski and Alpha Bangura to Earl Monroe. You yourself had high hopes for Phil Waite IIRC. I thought Felix Balamou was a player and Tyler Jones too. Without unrealistic expectations there would be no Detroit Lions.

From the little I saw of MM I'd say that Norm was left with better talent - specifically Hill, who could have been as good as anyone if he hadn't gotten hurt, and Hamilton (versus Jones and Balamou) - but that Mullin has brought in better talent: Lovett has a bit of Hill in him and Mussolini looks like a player, as does at least one of the big men, as does Ellison. If Jordan and Obekpa were still here this might be a bit of a sleeper. As it stands now it looks like it's going to be another long season. But in the long run I'll be stunned if Mullin does not have more success than Lavin more quickly and more importantly if he does not sustain it once it gets here.

« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2015, 10:53:06 AM »
Wake me up from this thread when we find out if Marcus is cleared.