Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies
Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY
« Reply #1640 on: May 15, 2014, 08:54:40 PM »
Not all that shocked. Never bought into it was a lock, nor did I think he was a must get.

« Reply #1641 on: May 15, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »
Maybe he just wanted to play in the NCAA tournament which is something St. John's hasn't done in how many years?

Foad

« Reply #1642 on: May 15, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »
Imagine the "Sky is falling , non class of 2014"  ends up being DeLaRosa, Thomas, and Jermaine Lawrence?    LOL..

Why , personally, I never get too worked up about recruiting early on in the season.. Way too many variables..

That would shut quite a few posters up who were complaining about recruiting.

+ fun

« Reply #1643 on: May 15, 2014, 09:19:43 PM »
Maybe he just wanted to play in the NCAA tournament which is something St. John's hasn't done in how many years?

Then how is Hofstra on the list still?  That was not it. 

I applaud the staff for passing on potential culture problems (tiny included), but we are absolutely banking on 2-3 huge recruits in '15. Not where this program should be right now

« Reply #1644 on: May 15, 2014, 09:22:07 PM »
Imagine the "Sky is falling , non class of 2014"  ends up being DeLaRosa, Thomas, and Jermaine Lawrence?    LOL..

Why , personally, I never get too worked up about recruiting early on in the season.. Way too many variables..

+ fun

"Would"

« Reply #1645 on: May 15, 2014, 09:39:10 PM »
I think its unreal that this kids handler would steer him this way.

DFF6

« Reply #1646 on: May 15, 2014, 09:46:13 PM »
Being honest, I'm nervous about our chances with Lawrence. Why is Hofstra the first stop?  Why are 2 MAC schools and only one BE school on his short list?  He was a top 25 ranked recruit this time last year. Maybe his time at Cincy rattled his confidence and he's looking to play lesser competition to to showcase his talents?  Just saying, something doesn't feel right about this. Really hope I'm wrong.

Crap.  SJU was the logical choice.  Too bad Lawrence didn't take logic while at Cincy.

Foad

« Reply #1647 on: May 15, 2014, 09:48:08 PM »

+ fun

"Would"

Right, would. If everything would have turned out like the hallucinatory visions you see through your rose colored 3d Lavin specs, that would have shut quite a few people up, because they would have been wrong in wondering why we have such a lousy recruiting class coming in, and you would have been right, and no doubt you would have been gloating about being so. Except it turns out that the ones wondering were wondering for good reason, because your recruiting class savior who would have shut quite a few people up would rather play in the MAAC than in Lavinwould. Who will this turn of events shut up I wonder.

« Reply #1648 on: May 15, 2014, 09:55:57 PM »

+ fun

"Would"

Right, would. If everything would have turned out like the hallucinatory visions you see through your rose colored 3d Lavin specs, that would have shut quite a few people up, because they would have been wrong in wondering why we have such a lousy recruiting class coming in, and you would have been right, and no doubt you would have been gloating about being so. Except it turns out that the ones wondering were wondering for good reason, because your recruiting class savior who would have shut quite a few people up would rather play in the MAAC than in Lavinwould. Who will this turn of events shut up I wonder.

I don't think this class is done. But even if it is, I think next year should be fun. Getting Lawrence was irrelevant to proving my point about Lavin's recruiting because he's proven his skills in that area time and again. It just "would" have been funny if after all this complaining he ended up with a top 25 recruit.

Must suck to wear sh*t colored glasses all day.

SJUFAN

« Reply #1649 on: May 15, 2014, 10:27:46 PM »
Say what you will about Lavin but it appears one thing is for sure, he will not compromise the integrity of the program for a kid. Got to admire that. It also shows that he is not going to panic and has supreme confidence in his ability to bring in other talented players.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:28:11 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #1650 on: May 15, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »
Say what you will about Lavin but it appears one thing is for sure, he will not compromise the integrity of the program for a kid. Got to admire that. It also shows that he is not going to panic and has supreme confidence in his ability to bring in other talented players.

+1 ill give him credit for that. Its not easy.

I didnt feel confident in this kid coming here regardless.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #1651 on: May 15, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »
Manhattan and Iona are light years better then those programs.  Plus Manhattan and Iona  have a recent history of getting local high major kids to transfer back to the area. Pankey, Momo Jones etc.

It is actually pretty obvious what schools he would end up considering. 

Good points. However, Momo wanted to be here but couldn't because of Hicks' presence.

Agreed but he could have gone to Seton Hall (he visited there before he chose Iona).  Yet he still chose Iona.

SHU passed on Momo - lets just say they were not willing to give on certain requests from the young man

I did not know that Seton Hall was strict regarding players who ask for special treatment.

MCNPA

« Reply #1652 on: May 16, 2014, 01:45:37 AM »
It's his "handler" I'm sure..  Disappointed that kids let these leeches do this stuff but somehow they breed trust.  The kid is brain dead IMO for even considering a move like this. MAAC or bust lol

LJSA

« Reply #1653 on: May 16, 2014, 06:06:51 AM »
Perhaps others can confirm, but I was told that $10,000 was the asking price to have a sitdown with his team. And that was just the beginning. Glad we passed if that's the case.

Foad

« Reply #1654 on: May 16, 2014, 06:53:06 AM »
Getting Lawrence was irrelevant to proving my point about Lavin's recruiting because he's proven his skills in that area time and again. It just "would" have been funny if after all this complaining he ended up with a top 25 recruit.

I see. So when you said "that" - seemingly a direct reference to a direct reference to JL enrolling at SJ - would shut people up, you weren't referring to Jermaine Lawrence at all, but to a larger unmentioned point. And, it turns out, you were right anyway, because even though the thing to which you  referred as proof was false, the thing you allege to be true is true because it is true.

Must suck to wear sh*t colored glasses all day.

Things are what they are. Stupidity and willful blindness don't change facts and neither do delusions. I'm happy to be able to recognize shit for what it is when I step in it, lest like a mindless pollyanna I'm tempted to put it in an ice cream cone with sprinkles and pronounce it delicious.

Foad

« Reply #1655 on: May 16, 2014, 07:01:23 AM »
Perhaps others can confirm, but I was told that $10,000 was the asking price to have a sitdown with his team. And that was just the beginning. Glad we passed if that's the case.

Yeah, I heard about the same thing, but it was a half million for the sit down and then another half million if they wanted to have coffee and dessert afterwards. Thank goodness Lavin told him to get lost. Besides his low character and academic problems (that's what I heard anyway) he's a pussy and a cancer. And he's not 6'9" either, he's only like 5'8". Addition by subtraction. We're better off without him..

pmg911

« Reply #1656 on: May 16, 2014, 07:42:48 AM »
Manhattan and Iona are light years better then those programs.  Plus Manhattan and Iona  have a recent history of getting local high major kids to transfer back to the area. Pankey, Momo Jones etc.

It is actually pretty obvious what schools he would end up considering. 

Good points. However, Momo wanted to be here but couldn't because of Hicks' presence.

Agreed but he could have gone to Seton Hall (he visited there before he chose Iona).  Yet he still chose Iona.

SHU passed on Momo - lets just say they were not willing to give on certain requests from the young man

I did not know that Seton Hall was strict regarding players who ask for special treatment.

Lots of things change in the coaching world, especially when a Coach might think he is on the hot seat...

pmg911

« Reply #1657 on: May 16, 2014, 07:47:50 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Cincinnati transfer Jermaine Lawrence down to Iona, Hofstra and Manhattan. St. John's is out, per source. #sjubb

Oh well

How is Manhattan recruiting the kid when their head coach can't have any contact with recruits currently..?

Let's see if his visit is really cancelled.

« Reply #1658 on: May 16, 2014, 07:51:43 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Cincinnati transfer Jermaine Lawrence down to Iona, Hofstra and Manhattan. St. John's is out, per source. #sjubb

Oh well

How is Manhattan recruiting the kid when their head coach can't have any contact with recruits currently..?

Let's see if his visit is really cancelled.

Rasheen Davis

sju89tr

« Reply #1659 on: May 16, 2014, 10:02:06 AM »
I think things will change. It ain't over yet.